CBR1100XX.org Forum

Did wire loom fix,,now fuel pump will not cycle

TuffguyF4i

If i short the relay, the pump works. (as mentioned above) Proving its not the wiring from the relay to the pump. Relay is getting voltage...

Short it how? Getting what voltage? A relay has two inputs: the input that activates the switch, and the input that is carried through the switch.

seems pump isn't getting the signal when to turn on/off. That comes from ECU...correct?

Uh. The ECM controls the switch on the relay. That's how it 'signals' the pump.

Just measured.

Both the engine stop relay, and the fuel cutoff relay are hot (12V) in 3 positions. I'm going to replace both the engine stop relay and the fuel relay just so i know for sure, they are good. I'd hate to do more work then I need to. Since the relays ARE getting juice, i believe that tells me my ECU is ok?

Where does that leave me? I swapped it with both of the others,,could it be they are blown to?

Could someone do me this favor. When the pump first cycles and , does the second from the left fuel injector click?

Right now, when the stop engine relay activates with the kill switch, i'm getting a single click under the tank...hunted it down and it is the second from the left (when sitting on bike) fuel injector.

Checked all connectors that are anywhere near the loom. Also rechecked ground and the 3-4 sealed connectors that are bundled under the tank. Nothing out of place.

Did not find the other connector that cbrxx was talking about. Do you mean the green connector on the left side of the bike that is all taped up? This one was about 4 inches south of the left coil pack.

Could someone check this for me, to make sure i'm not going insane.

In the large cluster of about 10 green wires. Do some have voltage? Most are grounds but i know i have at least on that signals the fuel injector to cycle.

[

I did, and it was as bad, but it needs to be checked for corrosion. Same kind of deal.

Do you have a power commander ? If so unplug it and try it without. i had a problem like this, and it ended up being a ground wire loose and mismatched on the pc3

\Did not find the other connector that cbrxx was talking about. Do you mean the green connector on the left side of the bike that is all taped up? This one was about 4 inches south of the left coil pack.

Yes, take the tape off and take apart and check for corrosion.

And like I was trying to say I think the ecm controls the ground, but have not checked the wiring.

\Did not find the other connector that cbrxx was talking about. Do you mean the green connector on the left side of the bike that is all taped up? This one was about 4 inches south of the left coil pack.

Yes, take the tape off and take apart and check for corrosion.

And like I was trying to say I think the ecm controls the ground, but have not checked the wiring.

I'll check it.

Any chance you can stick a voltmeter into the big cluster of 10 grounds and see if there is voltage....with the ignition and kill switch in the run position?

what I was hoping you would do is supply a ground to the ground wire at the relay.Just in case the ecm has failed. the deal is the ground wire would see low volts after the load and would be subject to failure when you put high volts to it when you killed the fuse.

FIXED!!!!!

My hunch, supported by cbrxx's help, proved true. The ECM was at fault. I was able to get one off (the other site) for pennies on the dollar from someone parting out a bike.

I have 3 used/new relays that all work too!!!

Thanks for all the help guys!!

When i have a rainy afternoon, i'm going to cut open the potted ECM that failed and see what component fried. Its probally some $.01 component.

Heres the lesson I learned.

If you do electrical work,,, cut the friggen power off first.

• 8 months later...
FIXED!!!!!

My hunch, supported by cbrxx's help, proved true. The ECM was at fault. I was able to get one off (the other site) for pennies on the dollar from someone parting out a bike.

I have 3 used/new relays that all work too!!!

Thanks for all the help guys!!

When i have a rainy afternoon, i'm going to cut open the potted ECM that failed and see what component fried. Its probally some $.01 component.

Heres the lesson I learned.

If you do electrical work,,, cut the friggen power off first.

A very good thread to read ,, glad it was here to read ,, helped me out a bit ,, thanks all.

• 4 years later...

Think my ECU bit the dust, bypass the fuel cut off relay and pump cycles on bike will start, need to test with a borrowed ECU. When you have it jumpred the kill switch or key will not turn the bike off, only the kickstand switch. May have to rig it for a quick trip.

Anyone siting on a used ECU for an 02 that they want to part with?

Wow..old thread resurrection!

Actually, the battery also ended up going bad. Not sure if it was caused by me shorting the harness or not. But the bike ran like shit even after the new ecu. New battery and boom..perfectly running xx.

Swapped ecu and all relays and still wont cycle the fuel pump upon key turn. The kill switch works, the kickstand switch works, swapped BAS and still no work. I can jump the fuel relay and get pump to cycle so I know it's not bad and the bike will run until I pull the jumpered relay. All fuses checked as well.

I'm guessing there is a bad wire between the ecu and relay so it's not get to the signal to close and allow the pump to prime.

Any other suggestions? 107K, should I just sell it know that's broken in.

Chris

Edited by 02XXCA

I think this was a problem caused by forcing a Fuze into the Fuze holder with another wire for accessories causing there to be a light touch on the Fuze be the contacts. I was the reason I went to soldering that wire to the copper of the block. You can remove the terminal strip in the Fuze blocks . Think there is a clip you release with a small screwdriver. Tighten the contacts and solder a wire according to always hot or ign.

• Upvote 1

It looks like my turn signal relay is throwing power down the ground wire. I may have crossed the plugs for the BAS and the turn signal relay which may have also screwed up the BAS as well. Need to order those and see what happens next.

Stan, I will give you a call after I get those parts and see if I still have issues.