CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need suggestions for new rim(s)

cyoungesq

the front rim on my 99 is pretty dinged up ... guy at the shop put it on the digital balancer to show me some pretty obvious wobbles where the rim is "flared." He put weights on it to try and reduce the wobble I get @ 85 mph and up, but its seems clear I need a new rim.

Any suggestions on sources or on different materials?

Any thoughts on ceramic bearings while I'm at it?

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences.

They're a PITA to deal with, but Carrozzeria makes a nice wheel (when it all of the right parts get shipped), for a pretty good price. They're a lot lighter than stock, as well, and you won't believe the difference in handling. The bike feels 100lbs lighter just with wheels.

WAY too much $$ for the slight benefit you'll see. Stick with the stock type, but if you get new wheels, they come with bearings.

the front rim on my 99 is pretty dinged up ... guy at the shop put it on the digital balancer to show me some pretty obvious wobbles where the rim is "flared." He put weights on it to try and reduce the wobble I get @ 85 mph and up, but its seems clear I need a new rim.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences.

If you're looking for a stock replacement, I have one I'll sell you for $50. It has about 10K miles on it, is perfectly straight, and has good bearings.

If you're thinking after-market, you have a lot of research to do. There are lots of good choices, but it hard to go wrong with Dymag.

Pat - I don't know what caused it ... I first noticed it last year after putting new tires on it - the dealer didnt' balance it at all & I thought it was a balancing issue. I took it off & brought it to a more trusted shop where they agreed that it was over 1 oz short on balancing, but they also showed me the pretty significant wobble in the tire's rotation that more likely caused the heavy vibrations between 85 and 110 mph.

Balancing it just about cured the vibrations ... then on a trip thru the White Mountains last week, I hit a pot-hole at about 60 mph with a dip & lip that really slammed the bike pretty hard. I typically can avoid these, but was following a vehicle too closely & it "jumped" into my line of sight without time to avoid. It has happened before over the miles & I suspect it was a hit or two like this that may have tweaked the rim. It now wobbles again at 85+.

I'm also gonna check the steering head bearings & probably replace them anyway as well as the front & back wheel bearings just because.

Jon - a perfectly straight OEM for $50 sounds like a God-send right now ... thanks! I'll take it. I'd love to go with something like Carrozzeria and will keep doing research.

Thanks for your replies!

What do you run over/into to bend your rim up like that?

Just curious.

It was dark, he was in a hurry. Just got off the phone with Jessica Simpson. You understand

What do you run over/into to bend your rim up like that?

Just curious.

It was dark, he was in a hurry. Just got off the phone with Jessica Simpson. You understand

Free pass in that case. :icon_evilgrin:

If you will take my advice, RUN, do not walk away from Carrozzeria wheels. They are beautiful, but the engineering, quality and customer service is seriously lacking. If you want aftermarket wheels, put a few more bucks together and get a set of Marchesini's or equivalent.

If you will take my advice, RUN, do not walk away from Carrozzeria wheels. They are beautiful, but the engineering, quality and customer service is seriously lacking. If you want aftermarket wheels, put a few more bucks together and get a set of Marchesini's or equivalent.

+1 From everything I have heard about them stay away :icon_surprised: , Also I was under the impression they no longer made XX stuff anyway :icon_confused:

Whiner.

Mine are awesome.........now. It took a little work but not that the issues have been sorted out, they are great.

Whiner.

Mine are awesome.........now. It took a little work but not that the issues have been sorted out, they are great.

Yep. Plus, I have set I'll be selling shortly.... :icon_whistle:

Whiner.

I'm glad you got yours sorted out. I just didn't have the patience or the inclination to fuck around with Matsu and his bullshit. I'm not sure that Josh would agree that the Caro's are "awesome" since his rear wheel failed while he was riding, but WTF do I know.

Whiner.

I'm glad you got yours sorted out. I just didn't have the patience or the inclination to fuck around with Matsu and his bullshit. I'm not sure that Josh would agree that the Caro's are "awesome" since his rear wheel failed while he was riding, but WTF do I know.

Mine seem to be holding up, but they do not see much use in adverse conditions. It was a _big_ improvement when I installed them. Like to know more about the failure.

Noreen's Redbird would look very pretty indeed with those - she think the Caro's are the shit!

*hijack off*

I have a set that have been sitting in the garage for over a year, only 500 miles on them, hardly a mark.

Needs wheel bearings sorted out...

:icon_evil:

Noreen's Redbird would look very pretty indeed with those - she think the Caro's are the shit!

*hijack off*

I have a set that have been sitting in the garage for over a year, only 500 miles on them, hardly a mark.

Needs wheel bearings sorted out...

:icon_evil:

Whaddya mean???

Bearings or bearing spacers??

I'm with ya buddy. Here in the States, they are a fucked up organization but I think their Japanese engineering is still very good.

And I had to go with an aftermarket set of rims, the stock Busa rims don't match the Bird's at all!