CBR1100XX.org Forum

cleaning

XX

rear tire off the bike, got access to clean up the rear shock.

any do's and don't about getting in there and cleaning out some of the grime?

tia

i remember a thread long ago on the vfr list talking about never using Simple Green on the swingarm, that it would eat thru it eventually.....

so safely i use a little Simple Green but always use a spray bottle of water an water down the area that I used SG on....

thoughts?

Install that Hugger you always wanted

gonna! i got a pyramid second from Ayers in the Uk via Ebay...

and i got my Roads installed at CycleGear ready to put back on!

:grin:

i swear, it better not rain :cool:

XX--if your looking for maximum service and life out of the new tires---might be worth considering the 'run in' portion of the Metzeler riding safety site. It does make a difference if your going for long tire life---happy trails kel

http://www.metzelermoto.com/product_info/safety.asp

60 mph for the first 100-150 miles

hah! and get run over on my commute....

interesting metzler has this recommendation.... i'm on my 5th rear on this bike, and 3rd front, now at over 35k miles, never done this... I wonder if I can get more than 13,000 miles out of a front if I "run it in" properly :grin:

we'll see how these pilot roads do me :cool:

I got me rear tire off, and did some cleaning, I used honda polish and cleaner, and also alittle rubbing alcohol on the tougher stubborn grime,

I am waiting on a buddy to get me a deal on the ghost hugger to install.

So hopefully this will be the last time I have to do this. :grin:

What's that, less than 7K a tire?

EXACTLY!

2 tires I got nails in at between 6-7k per tire and had to replace :grin:

Tire manufactures know how to get maximum performance out of tires. As I want the maximum my tires have to give---I put in a little effort (proper run-in, very close pressure monitoring) to assure it. Seems to me XX, you have some good riding right in your backyard--the road up by Lake Hughes, Bouguet Canyon area where you won't get run over at 60---and you can even scuff the sides in a bit. Besides, it's great excuse to get away from unpleasant social obligations----"you have to go run your tires in" before you need to trust them on that motorcycle hell of a road---I-5. Happy trails kel

Back to cleaning the shock...

I use Simple Green...and a toilet brush...then rince immediately. Looks pretty clean (grime) does not get rid of etching of course.

I use Simple Green all the time on the aluminum and I've experienced no etching. I believe the key is to make sure the surface is wet before applying SG and DO NOT let it dry on.

I also use it on the tires. I've found that if you spray SG on the tires it will blacken them up a bit by removing that brown dead rubber that accumulates.

My $0.02.

Dave

Agreed, as well, if you use that squishy white hand cleaner (waterless?) it just cuts through the chain gunk. Put on a rubber glove, and start rubbing and man, it all turns to a brown gunk that cleans off more black gunk. Pretty cool....all jelly like.