CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel Leak

SLyFoXX

I have an idea that might work. If your interested?

I think an o-ring might work in the groove of the tank to help the gasket seal. you know what I mean?

I could shoot a picture of what I am thinking, let me know.

Well, I am not sure that what I was thinking about is going to do anything, but pictures are below.

The thing that comes to mind are the sealing lip really is the thing. The very edge of the opening pushes into the gasket, so if it gets flattened enough, will be a leak point. I am thinking to roll that lip out enough to seal again. Where I was thinking that the o-ring would help is not a roll in the metal enough to contain the ring. That is required. It is also outside the gasket area, cut out.

I am thinking a good body man would be able to force the lip out some and would seal against the gasket again. One thing that occured to me is there might be a crack in the metal that is leaking gas.

DSC04201.jpg

DSC04202.jpg

DSC04185.jpg

DSC04186.jpg

DSC04187.jpg

The lip seating into the gasket can be seen in the cut in the gasket. That is the real important force to seal it, and I would guess if it is done once it would not really be as good a seal the second time. Overtorqueing would flatten it and not be as good the second time. Kinda a spring loaded thing. Push it the correct amount or kill it.

Hope that helps.

Roll that out and make sure it is flat by putting the pump back on without the gasket and tighten evenly so it is flat but still pushing against the surface at the edge only.

pretty hard to describe. That is why I am going on and on.

I might make a piece of aluminum to put inside and pull out with some bolts to make that lip again. ya know?

• 2 weeks later...

very sorry to see someone else with this problem. i had the same thing happen - it's how i found this forum & my first few posts were about the same problem.

turned out that while doing routine maintenance for which there was no excuse that i did not do it myself (except the guy owed me & i thought he was competent), the nuts holding the fuel pump to the tank were overtorqued and warped ever so slightly the contour of the tank. result was the same as your problem ... a weeping fuel leak from around the pump gasket.

Before diagnosis with the help of this forum, I got a new tank thinking the old one had a shot weld where the bolts met the tank. I had the same guy reinstall everything. Im pretty sure he used an air wrench. Same problem. So I got a new fuel pump. Same problem. all kinds of goop - aerobic & anaerobic - didn't work.

Finally got another new tank, did all work myself, & voi la - really annoying and expensive problem solved. Overtorquing was the cause. No amount of gasket building, bending, or rigging fixed it for me. I can now remove the tank & all associated components in the dark & in my sleep. :) good luck - if misery loves company, you're not alone.

very sorry to see someone else with this problem. i had the same thing happen - it's how i found this forum & my first few posts were about the same problem.

turned out that while doing routine maintenance for which there was no excuse that i did not do it myself (except the guy owed me & i thought he was competent), the nuts holding the fuel pump to the tank were overtorqued and warped ever so slightly the contour of the tank. result was the same as your problem ... a weeping fuel leak from around the pump gasket.

Before diagnosis with the help of this forum, I got a new tank thinking the old one had a shot weld where the bolts met the tank. I had the same guy reinstall everything. Im pretty sure he used an air wrench. Same problem. So I got a new fuel pump. Same problem. all kinds of goop - aerobic & anaerobic - didn't work.

Finally got another new tank, did all work myself, & voi la - really annoying and expensive problem solved. Overtorquing was the cause. No amount of gasket building, bending, or rigging fixed it for me. I can now remove the tank & all associated components in the dark & in my sleep. :) good luck - if misery loves company, you're not alone.

Well I think it is fixed.... And I am the only one to blame, the problem about this is that it began to leak prior to my attempt to be a mechanic. I know at one point I was sooooo frustrated I am sure I over torqued those little bastards, I just don't know what caused the leak originally.

I was fortunate to locate a slightly used tank that is now holding fuel, only problem now is I am going to need to paint the bike to match...

So did you end up with a used fuel pump you don't want? :icon_biggrin:

No, wasn't the fuel pump....... Darn

Did you get it figured out.

As of Saturday late afternoon - NO LEAK

only problem now is I am going to need to paint the bike to match...

Why go with a slower color... Paint it silver to match the rest of the bike.

He makes it up with the ported head.

You had me at "head". :icon_biggrin:

Just makes sense to only paint 1 piece, instead of 5.... And Silver IS the fastest color. I think we proved that in Reno.

You had me at "head". :icon_biggrin:

Just makes sense to only paint 1 piece, instead of 5.... And Silver IS the fastest color. I think we proved that in Reno.

Yes, but looking at my plastics and all the sand blasting and rock chips....... I am going to consider painting all

But really it does not look bad the way it sits now!

post-101-1247931714.jpg

What's with the Harley drip catcher underneath? :icon_evilgrin:

I know, I know you're still monitoring for spluge..

New tank, new paint... expensive and time consuming leak...

It sucks when things go fubar...

I'm working on my pump house/well today and just snapped off an old rusty fitting. :icon_twisted: