CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine shut off while riding

sam3375

I was riding to work and my 99 Blackbird the engine cutoff in the middle of the road with no warning. I got the bike home counted the FI light flashes on the dash I noticed that the fuel pump isn't energizing when engine run switch is flipped on and then ran through the trouble shooting procedure in the maint. manual the ignition pulse generator was the apparent problem. I ordered a new one installed it as well as replaced the fuel lines to the gas tank (dry rotting) put bike back together and same result bike wont start don't recall the FI light code but I noticed that the fuel pump still wasn't energizing when engine run switch was flipped on, from this I reason that the fuel pump may be faulty and ordered one off ebay installed it and the same result bike wont start fuel pump still not energizing but codes are no longer flashing. HELP cause my next move is to the stealership.

Not sure if this is related or not but I soldered the FI light harness wires several months ago.

Well, the whole key to trouble shooting is to eliminate things one-by-one. Just reading the manual won't do it, despite what NASA thinks.

Did you verify that the fuel pump was actually bad before replacing it?

Did you verify that the replacement pump was actually good before installing it?

You and your meter and a set of jumper wires back to the battery have some work ahead of you.

Have you verified that the kill switch is working properly. Voltage is going through it in the on position.

Have you verified that the kill switch is working properly. Voltage is going through it in the on position.

I haven't done any of the things that you guys have suggested. And im not sure if I even know how to check them.

IF the fuel pump isn't energizing, it's quite possibly the relay by the battery box. You should hear it click when you have the key on, and flip the stop/run switch on the right handlebar. As I remember, it's the one in the middle, but I've been killing brain cells with beer since I was 18.

Assuming your 99 has the same FI logic as my 01:

If your kill switch is in the off position the FI light will remain on, constantly. Flip the switch to "run" and the pump relay should click & the pump should run for 2 seconds, followed by the FI light going out.

What I'm saying is if your FI light goes out 2 seconds after you switch to run, then you can rule out your switch as the problem.

As mentioned, do you hear the relay clicking on, and then off 2 seconds later after flipping the switch to the "run" position?

Assuming your 99 has the same FI logic as my 01:

If your kill switch is in the off position the FI light will remain on, constantly. Flip the switch to "run" and the pump relay should click & the pump should run for 2 seconds, followed by the FI light going out.

What I'm saying is if your FI light goes out 2 seconds after you switch to run, then you can rule out your switch as the problem.

As mentioned, do you hear the relay clicking on, and then off 2 seconds later after flipping the switch to the "run" position?

FI Light goes out but pump doesn't click or anything there is a click under the seat at the relay but no whine of the fuel pump I wonder if the relay under seat is faulty?

That would be the next thing to check. Test it, or swap it out with a known good one. Putting used parts in is fine, as long as you know that the used part is a good one...

That would be the next thing to check. Test it, or swap it out with a known good one. Putting used parts in is fine, as long as you know that the used part is a good one...

As I remember, all of those relays are identical, so you should be able to swap them around.

do the injected birds have bank angle sensors? My brother had one go out on his f4i and it was a bear to troubleshoot...i dont know a lot about FI lol

yes

Three sensors you need to check...

-Bank angle sensor (up under the windshield)

-Kickstand sensor (top of kickstand)

-Relay for kickstand and kill switch

You check a relay by first making sure its getting voltage and then making sure it is working properly.

If you can't figure out how to check relays and don't know anything about electronics, then just take it to the dealer. Just make sure to check to see if your battery is charged and your batt terminals/grounds are not loose.

Three sensors you need to check...

-Bank angle sensor (up under the windshield)

-Kickstand sensor (top of kickstand)

-Relay for kickstand and kill switch

You check a relay by first making sure its getting voltage and then making sure it is working properly.

If you can't figure out how to check relays and don't know anything about electronics, then just take it to the dealer. Just make sure to check to see if your battery is charged and your batt terminals/grounds are not loose.

Since the bike cranks (I assume it cranks) but won't fire I think we can rule out the kickstand circuit as a problem. If it were a kickstand circuit problem then it shouldn't crank at all.

Fuel pump relay (or fuel pump) and bank angle sensor would be suspect in my mind. Sam, you need to check some things before you go throwing any more parts at it. Playing the parts game can become very expensive. :icon_naughty:

Go to the Important/Useful Threads and check your charging system...you can likely find the problem. I have used this thread A LOT to find problems on various bikes....