CBR1100XX.org Forum

First major project

111lbRC51Rider

Here's the background. Purchased our house in Oct 2007 (wish I waited a couple years longer at the prices now, could have easily doubled my sq ft, ooohhh well). It's a very small 2/1 with a carport about 1000 feet under air, built in the 50's....just a classic old Ft. Lauderdale working class kind of home. We gutted the kitchen immediately after we bought it as it had been owned by a lady in her 80's and the kitchen looked as it should for a lady in her 80's. I built and installed the entire kitchen, put down new wood floors in the kitchen and polished the existing terrazzo floor everywhere else. Also installed crown throughout and a number of other smaller tasks. The kitchen is almost finished as I took quite a hiatus from the project because I was tired of working every damn hour of my spare time on it, so the finishing touches are being put on the pewter tile backsplash and adding under cabinet LED lighting. ANYWAY!!! Our lot is fairly deep, but narrow so we have alot of room to play in the back yard. We are inclined to stay put where we are at and build an addition on the back of the house to add another 400-500 feet in the future (4-5 years?) as family size grows (only by 2 if I have my way. And I usually have my way). We keep the wifes car in the carport and my truck in the driveway. There is an existing metal shed on a small slab in the back yard where I keep the bike and lawn tools etc. I also have a very dear to my heart car (my first car.....1998 Ford Contour SVT) parked as a future father/son car behind said shed. Our plan for the next few months is to construct a CBS garage/shop/barn/thing where the current shed sits by extending the slab out on all sides. I've had a close friend who is a GC draw up initial plans and we are going to work on it together. What I foresee is an approx 18x20 structure with room for my car, the bike and plenty of space for a little shop and it can also double as emergency storage for the wifes car in case of a hurricane coming through. Large double barn door for vehicle entry with a standard exterior door entry as well. I'm also factoring in a south/north sloping roof (our house roof in east/west) in anticipation sometime in the future when prices become viable to add a solar PV array which I've always hungered for (mainly because I'm a gadget freak) but I need a payoff time WAY quicker than 15-20 years. Also it will add desperately needed attic storage space as our attic is anemic to put it lightly. Start date should be in this coming month, I'll add some before pics when I get a chance then update as needed as we come along. I am flippin excited about a workshop, thats all I know!! I can't wait to say "Honey I'll be working in the shop!" and go grab some beers and tinker......

Thoughts or suggestions from anyone who has done anything similar are appreciated.....I've got a great deal with my friend, and I feel in good hands with him as he's worked for large commercial builders as a PM in the past, and he's working with me for beer, woo hoo!