CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Jumping

Sandbag

Ok I'll try to describe this as good as I can. I have a 02 XX with 16,000 on it, 12,000 of those were in the past 11 months. I have used honda chain wax on the chain since I bought the bike last june. The chain appears to have a bad link or somthing of that nature although I can't see, feal or find any problem with the chain. There is a noise coming from the area of the front sproket that sounds like a frozen link. But I don't see a frozen link. It is loud at slower speeds especially under load. I can also feel it in the left foot peg. It has gotten progressivly worse. I have pulled the front sprocket cover & the sprocket looks perfect. No noticable where at all. Both sprockets appear to be tight & have no signs of wear. I have ordered a new chain & sprocket set. But if anyone has any ideas I open for your thoughts.

You def diagnosed the problem. I'm sure it is the chain, unless you left way to much slop in the chain.

I'm a huge fan of that Teflon spray you get at Lowes. Works very well and quiets the chain down.

I'm a huge fan of that Teflon spray you get at Lowes. Works very well and quiets the chain down.

To be honest I have 3 bike & have never had any chain issues other then stretching to the point that I replaced it. I bought a can of the dupont teflon spray & have had chain issues on all 3 bikes. 2 frozen links & now this. I'm not going to say that the teflon caused the problem, it's just odd within 1,000 miles of using it all 3 started having issues.

One other thing to check when you take the old chain off and get ready for the new one. Before you take the front sprocket loose/off, put the bike in neutral and turn the sprocket by hand. Try and see if it feels smooth or if you notice some "notchiness" in it. The reason that I'm saying that is to make sure that you don't have a bad/worn bearing inside the engine/transmission case where the sprocket's coutershaft comes out of the case.

One other thing to check when you take the old chain off and get ready for the new one. Before you take the front sprocket loose/off, put the bike in neutral and turn the sprocket by hand. Try and see if it feels smooth or if you notice some "notchiness" in it. The reason that I'm saying that is to make sure that you don't have a bad/worn bearing inside the engine/transmission case where the sprocket's coutershaft comes out of the case.

I will check that, The first chain I ordered ended up back ordered. New chain in hand picking up the breaker/press tomarow. I wouldn't think that the bearing would be bad with 16,000 miles but I will check. I HOPE to be heading on a 5,000 mile ride out to CO & back in a week & a half.

Determining the frequency will indicate whether it's the chain, front, or rear sprocket.

If it's one link in the chain the noise - feeling will occur with each full rotation of the chain.

Likewise if it's the front sprocket the frequency will be much higher.

With the bike on the center stand, or with the rear wheel free, and the chain tightened, rotating the rear wheel should give an indication of the source. And check with the cover on and then off as well.

Most probably the chain.

Ditch the teflon spray and get another chain lube.

Determining the frequency will indicate whether it's the chain, front, or rear sprocket.

If it's one link in the chain the noise - feeling will occur with each full rotation of the chain.

Likewise if it's the front sprocket the frequency will be much higher.

With the bike on the center stand, or with the rear wheel free, and the chain tightened, rotating the rear wheel should give an indication of the source. And check with the cover on and then off as well.

Most probably the chain.

Ditch the teflon spray and get another chain lube.

I did try turning the rear wheel on the center stand & I could not get it to make any unusual noise. Also tried it running on the center stand no unusual noise. It only made the noise under load. It sounded like 1 bad link & a guy following me said he could see the chain "jumping". I just finished putting on the new chain. I have a thunder storm outside so I may have to wait till tomarrow to see if the noise is gone. I did rid ethe lenth of my basement 40' & no noise :icon_biggrin: . Thanks for the tips guys!

There may be something in the Teflon lube or the propellant that is deteriorating the o-rings.

I would use chain lube that is listed as being safe for o-ring chains.

If you like the Teflon lube because it sprays on clean, and does not fling off, take a look at Bel-Ray super clean chain lube.

I've had good luck over the years with it.