CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire mystery

ndivita

Last Thursday morning, I brought my Blackbird down off center stand in the garage to pack it for a cross country ride. To my surprise, the rear tire was flat. The tires, both of them, were holding proper pressure consistently when I last checked them before Thursday and was riding the beast, which was probably, oh, a month ago. I took the FJR on the trip instead; it never gives me any guff at all. Later that day, I called the shop to come get the Honda at my house and perhaps see if they could diagnose the problem then and there and let me know. They could not. They took it to the shop, pressurized the tire and did every leak and pressure test they know of to see what the problem could have been. It held pressure consistently and showed no sign of leakage or deflation. They have had the bike for a week now and the tire is holding pressure. The tires are new; no more than a few hundred miles on them. I went ahead and had them install some 90 degree valve stems and new valve cores just in case. What could have possibly happened to cause the unexplained deflation of the rear tire? There must be some reason. I am not smart or experienced enough to come up with it; all I can think of is a leak so slight as to be below any level of detection except with the passage of time, and one morning, she's flat. Thoughts?

I have found that when the weather cool the pressure will go down enough to let the bead start leaking. Especillaly on new tires. Normal drop in pressure is a pound a month, temp will make it more.

Seen it many times.

Drop the pressure to 10 pounds and check the bead.

It is not a problem, it is that the bead has not squirmed enough to seat against the rim. New rubber.

There was recently a national recall of a huge batch of valve stems that were in use. It may be a stretch but it could be possible that you had one installed by a shop on your rim at a prior tire change.

Now that you have new valve stems on the bird, you can always use the soapy water trick on the tire, rim area, and valve stem area just to give yourself some peace of mind.

That bead deal sounds like it also. I just had new tires installed on my Mini, but I brought the rims to the tire shop and had them install the tires and then brought them back and installed them on the car. I did not drive it for a few days, and when I got ready to ride one was flat. I filled it up & looked for a nail but couldn't find any. Tire lost pressure after about 40 miles so I stopped at a tire shop and they found a part of the bead that had not seated properly. Remounted the tire & has been fine ever since.

Thoughts?

Your Bird has been in the shop for a week to have THEM diagnose a flat tire?

Too many thoughts come to mind.

I left town that day and have been gone for over a week. I had conversations with them since Tuesday when they re-opened. How about lighting a candle instead of cursing the darkness. I am the first one to admit I am not mechanically inclined. It appears that bothers you.

Do you have children?

Yes but they are grown and out of the house.

That bead deal sounds like it also. I just had new tires installed on my Mini, but I brought the rims to the tire shop and had them install the tires and then brought them back and installed them on the car. I did not drive it for a few days, and when I got ready to ride one was flat. I filled it up & looked for a nail but couldn't find any. Tire lost pressure after about 40 miles so I stopped at a tire shop and they found a part of the bead that had not seated properly. Remounted the tire & has been fine ever since.

Every time I have new tires installed on my Impala, I run them enough to scratch the "new" off them, and then find a parking lot and do a series of dry-pavement-engage-the-ABS stops.

I left town that day and have been gone for over a week. I had conversations with them since Tuesday when they re-opened. How about lighting a candle instead of cursing the darkness. I am the first one to admit I am not mechanically inclined. It appears that bothers you.

Still, you should expect to take some flack for that, especially without mentioning that you were away at the time.

Every time I have new tires installed on my Impala, I run them enough to scratch the "new" off them, and then find a parking lot and do a series of dry-pavement-engage-the-ABS stops.

Still, you should expect to take some flack for that, especially without mentioning that you were away at the time.

I think it was pretty clearly implied that I left town on my FJR on a cross country trip last Thursday while leaving the Honda behind. Did not know I was writing a legal brief but I guess I should have explained more directly that I cannot be in two places at once, no matter how fast my FJR is. Remind me to not ask simple questions anymore on this board as it appears folks are more interested in displaying their ability to deconstruct the poster's mechanical abilities than offer helpful answers. Lesson learned. I hereby stipulate that I am in the lower quartile of mechanical skill and aptitude. This should be satisfactory going forward.

Remind me to not ask simple questions anymore on this board as it appears folks are more interested in displaying their ability to deconstruct the poster's mechanical abilities than offer helpful answers. Lesson learned.

Welcome to CBR1100XX.ORG...where you are to expect anything. You just need to NOT CARE when someone posts something you don't like.

If you enter the jungle, expect to be eaten. :icon_biggrin:

Remind me to not ask simple questions anymore on this board as it appears folks are more interested in displaying their ability to deconstruct the poster's mechanical abilities than offer helpful answers. Lesson learned.

Welcome to CBR1100XX.ORG...where you are to expect anything. You just need to NOT CARE when someone posts something you don't like.

Better this than the FJR forum, which is a police state by comparison.

No doubt brother, no doubt.

No doubt brother, no doubt.

Let me return to what I know best. Allow

to lighten the mood.

I hereby affirm and attest that to be an accurate if not understated comment.

As it relates to your tire mystery. Perhaps you forgot to install a Gremlin bell on the Bird?

I hereby affirm and attest that to be an accurate if not understated comment.

As it relates to your tire mystery. Perhaps you forgot to install a Gremlin bell on the Bird?

No chance. I bought some Gremlin traps on QVC last year and placed them all around the garage.

As was once so eloquently stated by a member here (anyone remember who? I don't :icon_redface: ) "this is the org, motherfucker".

And everyone knows Alan is an asshole, anyway. :icon_wink:

As was once so eloquently stated by a member here (anyone remember who? I don't :icon_redface: ) "this is the org, motherfucker".

Yes, he is our very own 'tard repellent. My ass puckers every time I see him replying to one of MY threads.

I think it was pretty clearly implied that I left town on my FJR on a cross country trip last Thursday while leaving the Honda behind. Did not know I was writing a legal brief but I guess I should have explained more directly that I cannot be in two places at once, no matter how fast my FJR is. Remind me to not ask simple questions anymore on this board as it appears folks are more interested in displaying their ability to deconstruct the poster's mechanical abilities than offer helpful answers. Lesson learned. I hereby stipulate that I am in the lower quartile of mechanical skill and aptitude. This should be satisfactory going forward.

Didn't you say something about lighting a candle? :icon_biggrin:

You can not make you own candle brighter by blowing somebody else's candle out.....( not sure where I saw that one )

Was previously noted tire totally flat..... or just flat on the bottom? :icon_biggrin: J/K

Seriously though, did you ever figure out what caused your flat?

Uhm, since I turned a leaf to be a better contributor...

Replace the valve stem.

You have a FJR and a bird?

And the FJR never gives you guff?

Sounds to me like there may be some seriously hurt feelings in the garage.

Perhaps a fresh oil change, some high test, a wax job and a little bonding time might patch things up.

Yes, he is our very own 'tard repellent. My ass puckers every time I see him replying to one of MY threads.

I coined it at the OzarXX last year "It's the dot org motherfucker" :icon_twisted:

I think it was pretty clearly implied that I left town on my FJR on a cross country trip last Thursday while leaving the Honda behind. Did not know I was writing a legal brief but I guess I should have explained more directly that I cannot be in two places at once, no matter how fast my FJR is.

You're right, I shouldn't have left you an out. Forgive me, it was a moment of weakness. You should expect to take some flack for calling the dealer to pick up your bike because the tire is flat.