CBR1100XX.org Forum

Can't start in gear

Maverick1100

Hello guys,

Got the bird out and man it's a great felling after a few days of riding her now I cannot start her up if she is in gear. But after she is started I put her in gear and ride off no prob. (yes the kick stand is up) Where is the sensor that checks if the clutch is pulled in before starting?? I am guessing it is something simple but I just can't put my hand on it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers.

It's the clutch switch.

Try cleaning the area, might have grease on it. Check the wires to make sure they are connected.

I have Pazzo levers, if I have them adjusted in towards the handlebar, she won't start in gear because the clutch lever sensor doesn't get pulled in far enough even though the clutch works just fine on that setting.

Silly question - why start in gear? I've been riding for 28 years and have always started in neutral.

It is VERY handy/safer if the bike happens to stall while at the lights, especially if you have split between traffic :icon_surprised:

Much quicker/easier to just pull clutch/hit starter and accelerate away than having to pop it back into neutral, then start and find gear again :icon_eek:

Para045: You took the words right of my mouth.

Better than taking something else outa your mouth :icon_evilgrin:

Also since you park your bike in gear I am finding it a real pain of the extra step of having to put her in neutral then starting then back into gear. Simple but that is me.

I use my Centre Stand 99% of the time so almost never leave it in gear so not really a problem in that sense but have stalled the bike before when splitting (usually when I have forgotten to release the Vista Cruise :icon_wall: :icon_redface: )

So have you checked the connections etc and found an answer?