CBR1100XX.org Forum

Raising toilet for wood flooring

SwampNut

We're putting in wood (composite) flooring and I'm wondering the best way to deal with the toilet. It has spacers under it already, but they are about 1/8" thinner than the flooring and underlayment combo. Will a normal wax ring deal with that? Should I use two rings? Any tips on toilet removal and replacement (I've never done one before)?

1/8" shouldn't be a big deal, get a wax ring with a plastic (abs?) fitting on it and you should be OK with the existing spacers in place. As for removal wear some disposable gloves, put some newspaper next to the toilet so you can remove it place it beside the hole, then carefully move it outside while keeping it level, even if you drain the tank and try and empty the bowl there will always be a little water left over in the trap. Dump the water outside and place the toilet on some more newspaper or something disposable, the reason being is that old wax is usually very sticky and not pleasant to remove from your hands, carpet, floor or your deck. Two wax rings may be necessary, but could squeeze out when you re-seat the toilet.

14814.jpg

Damn, already went to Lowe's. Where do you find those things, I didn't see any obvious alternatives to the wax rings (granted I wasn't looking for it either).

In the same area as the wax rings. Fluidmaster makes replacement flush valves, floats, ect. so it might be with that kind of stuff. At my Lowe's they are within 3 ft of the wax rings.

The 7500 fits 3 and 4'' drains

250565_300.jpg