CBR1100XX.org Forum

Helmet to Helmet innercoms

rcskisfast

Hey Don't need to talk to other riders just the passenger. Would like to listen to music but not a requirment. Thanks for the feedback! Ron

Hey Don't need to talk to other riders just the passenger. Would like to listen to music but not a requirment. Thanks for the feedback! Ron

I'm no expert on this but the Chatterbox units works pretty well for this. Spec them pretty carefully to ensure headset and cord compatibility. Consider whether you want helmet speakers or ear plug speakers. The music input may have to be a wired connection unless you are a Bluetooth guru. You can spend a lot or a little. I have the GMRS X1 unit because it allows intercom mode and bike to bike communication. You will get lots of opinions on this, most more informed than mine, and you can spend a lot of dough. Just keep it simple. Good luck.

Check it out

have had chatterbox for about 6 years.

I would score it about a 75 out of 100...

Pros:

Works well around town and at speeds under 50 to passenger or other rider. Works great as a means to get mp3 and the like into your helmet. Push to talk button works well. Use a single cable to helmet and hook everything else up, including unit, in a "Manta" (small) tank bag. Cost compared to other units is relatively inexpensive.

Cons:

VOX (voice activation) is worthless. Speeds over 50 suck with all helmets... you get too much wind noise in the mic. After 4 years, cables needed to be replaced. Bulky mounted on helmet, and mounting hardware breaks easily.

Just one man's humble opinion

I'm no expert on this but the Chatterbox units works pretty well for this. Spec them pretty carefully to ensure headset and cord compatibility. Consider whether you want helmet speakers or ear plug speakers. The music input may have to be a wired connection unless you are a Bluetooth guru. You can spend a lot or a little. I have the GMRS X1 unit because it allows intercom mode and bike to bike communication. You will get lots of opinions on this, most more informed than mine, and you can spend a lot of dough. Just keep it simple. Good luck.

Check it out

This unit doesn't let use ear plug speakers does it?

I had a cheap Chatterbox years ago and it last about 5 days until it raind....What the hell. Surely they fixed this problem...?

I've used the cheap ones, and they have been just OK.

I think it's worth it to go StarCom or Autocom. Good sound. ZUMO and MP3 interfaces. Cell phone interface if you want it. Radar detector interface if you want it.

Check it out

I had a cheap Chatterbox years ago and it last about 5 days until it raind....What the hell. Surely they fixed this problem...?

I don't know about fixed, but it is better. I have a GMRS and the couple of times I got caught in the rain, it lasted about 30 minutes before it quit working. After it dried out, worked just like normal. Now I just take it off of the helmet and put it in my tank bag when it starts to rain.

Check it out

I have the GMRS X1 non Bluetooth model. My brother and I have had pretty good experience with it. You can use ear plug speakers if you buy an adapter for the unit. It works. I am considering going back to helmet speakers this year though because I would prefer to wear ear plugs for the protection. Never used it in the rain. It mounts to a bracket on my helmet and is easy to stow quickly if needed. Oddly, I have lots of rain riding experience but it is all solo.

My wife and I used the Chatterbox Tandon Pro 50 for years. It works great. The only drawback is the cables from the unit to your helmets are not very strong and are prone to break after a year or two.

My wife and I have a Scala Rider Team set - Bluetooth rider to passenger intercom. For the most

part, we're pretty happy with them. For such small units, they have really good talk and stand by

time, plenty of juice to last a day of riding; a quick charge overnight and they are ready to go again.

I'm not 100% happy with them, though, as there's quite a bit of background noise, which surprised

me, given the transmission is only 18" and is digital. But, like I said, they are pretty good. FWI and

YMMV, of course.

I use MIT100 www.imc-communication.com . Mike are always on so you need a very good helmet on an XX because the mike will capture the wind noise. With my schuberth S1 it's ok but my girl friends helmet have nothing near the chin to stop the wind so I put some tape to stop the wind entering her helmet by the bottom. It helped but it's not as good as my helmet. I also modified her kit to turn off her mike on long highway ride at speed over 120Km/h. A small switch. MP3 GPS Phone... and with a FRS I speak bike to bike perfectly.

• 1 month later...
This should fit the bill:

http://www.autocom.co.uk/

I have one, but have never hooked it up as an intercom, just as a radio/mobile phone/radar detector/IPOD/GPS routing device.

Thanks for the reply,sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. where did you buy yours, I assume you bought it from the manufacturer. Thanks Ron