CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cutting lath and stucco. Any ideas?

LogoMan

I need to cut some metal lath and stucco. I'd like to do a neat job of it since it will show. Any idea how to do it?

Also, I'd like some ideas on how to sand down some cement patching I did.

Thanks.

I need to cut some metal lath and stucco. I'd like to do a neat job of it since it will show. Any idea how to do it?

Thanks.

Depending on how much metal lath and stucco you have to cut the best thing is a universal metal/mason blade. Do not rush or it will start chunking the edge.

With the cement patching you can pick up a concrete stone trowel that should work good enough.

Thanks.

Depending on how much metal lath and stucco you have to cut the best thing is a universal metal/mason blade. Do not rush or it will start chunking the edge.

With the cement patching you can pick up a concrete stone trowel that should work good enough.

A universal metal/mason blade...in what? A reciprocating saw? Where would I find this metal/mason blade? Lowes/Home Depot, etc. or a concrete supply place?

I figured that chunking would be a big issue. I would like to tapcon a 2' X 4' on the face of the project level with the intended cut so I can keep whatever piece of equipment I use nice and level. I would sandwich the area between two pieces of wood but that's impossible.

A stone trowel will remove hardened cement? I was thinking I'd have to use some sort of abrasive stone, but not a trowel. What does one of these hardened cement reducing stone trowels look like?

I'll post pics of the project this PM when I get a chance.

Thanks.

4-1/2" grinder with a diamond cutting wheel. Stucco cuts pretty easy, you shouldn't have much trouble following a chalk line. Shallow cut first for more control, then deeper. If there's a lot of metal in there you'll trash the blade quicker, and they're not cheap.

If the stucco is more than an inch or so thick, you're gonna need a bigger boat.

4-1/2" grinder with a diamond cutting wheel. Stucco cuts pretty easy, you shouldn't have much trouble following a chalk line. Shallow cut first for more control, then deeper. If there's a lot of metal in there you'll trash the blade quicker, and they're not cheap.

If the stucco is more than an inch or so thick, you're gonna need a bigger boat.

Thanks. I decided to go to Lowes and gave Adam a call while I was there. He said pretty much what you did.

I bought a 4-1/2" Hitachi grinder. It was cheap. I got a masonry grinding wheel, too. For the price, I'm sure it wasn't a diamond cutting wheel. The one I got will work OK for trimming back the patch stuff I did. The stucco on the lath is about an inch or so thick - give or take. I sure like the look of the 7" grinders but I'm hoping I don't need to buy one of those, too.

I just realized I have a 25' piece of tubing from work that will make a nice liquid level. I'll use that and then snap a chalk line.

Biggest problem is what to use to seal the gap between the new soffit and that freshly cut down stucco. I'm going to really try and not trim off more than necessary so if I have to run a bead of caulk I can do it without it looking like crap. Who am I kidding.

Here are some pics of the project:

gallery_2599_159_3069.jpg

gallery_2599_159_93608.jpg

I was talking about the mason blade on a skill saw and the stone trowel would work for feathering concrete if not very old. Mason blade is more for budget than diamond tip metal blade.

nice project.

I was talking about the mason blade on a skill saw and the stone trowel would work for feathering concrete if not very old. Mason blade is more for budget than diamond tip metal blade.

nice project.

Cudgel suggested I get a masonry blade for my circular saw today, too. I'll have to look into that. Seems like a good idea and I could always tapcon a 2X4 or something on the face on the wall to act as a guide.

Damn if the simplest projects don't turn into big messes.