CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brent's Motor rebuild

cbrxxquad

I'm amazed at you're skills.

I would have put dynamite in it and called it dead... :icon_confused:

But I love to read these treads of rebuilding and problem solved topics.

Picking up some tips and hints on how to do things. :icon_biggrin:

I'm amazed at you're skills.

I would have put dynamite in it and called it dead... :icon_confused:

But I love to read these treads of rebuilding and problem solved topics.

Picking up some tips and hints on how to do things. :icon_biggrin:

I a glad somebody is looking, sometimes I feel like I am the only one. I am really posting for Brent to see how it is going, and have a place to keep up with what has been done.

Hope that is takes the mystery from doing it and maybe somebody else will see it is not that hard. Mostly just part changing. Bolt out,,,,bolt in.

Little reading for the novice, and a good habit to have even for the experienced.

Not even sure that Brent or Redcam is even in the house.

I'm fascinated. The only reason I change my own oil once a year is that it takes longer to go to the shop.

Any estimates of what has been spent so far in parts and hours of your time?

Just a round number guess would be fine.

I'm watching, too, man! Just don't have much to post about it... learnin'...

Mike

In a lot of ways, that is a good thing, Mike. No news is good news, right? If the samrt guys here that know what I am doing have nothing to add there is only two thing to think, I chose the good one.

I'm fascinated. The only reason I change my own oil once a year is that it takes longer to go to the shop.

Well I am running a sheet and keeping a running total, but, I am not too eager to hang someones laundry in public. I do have a lot of time in it, but only half or so in work.

But, just to give you the major things:

Getting it here turned out to be a bitch, and maybe a day of time,,,10 hours. I had gotten a huge break from Yellow freight, 75% off in a promotion phone call just before we were to send it. Great, lets set it up from his end with my info and company info. I had just shipped the same weight from the same area for 200. That make this cheap, right. More than 2 dozen phone calls and it still was more and was going on more than a month after delivery.

Tear down clean and inspect. Bout a day.

order parts another day.

deliver parts to machine shop another day. Why, well got to count and bag and box and load and deliver and unbox unbag and recount and spec work.( I normally unbag and count everything, but did not the new parts so they would not get lost, was a mistake) I don't do things like normal. My clearances and requirements are from 40 years of building race only engines and have a particullar way I want it done. Only a few will do it my way. And most don't have the tools that I require.

Three weeks later he had the tools to do the work, but, took another three weeks to get it done. Dozen calls.

Bore job done so go and get the block. 1/2 day

check bore to pistons and clearance and start filing and fitting rings to the bore is a good day work....wasted , see above, rings were the wrong set sent.

Valve job done, go and pickup, and start the port work. Takes two days to get it like I wanted. Clean and get ready to assemble.

See above. ( spend a good day looking for a valve spring height guage and spring pressure gauge to use on these heads. There aint one. no one make one and no one knows what to do about it. Now ain't that a kick in the nuts.) Tomek posted a cool tool to assemble valves on these motors, and was going to get it, but only good for 40 lb and lower. these are 60 seat presure. I could not find a spring compresor for a motocycle engine in all of this area.

So I make one. Another day down.

got another day in the rods and piston problem with assembly and machine work and hand work.

So what is that?

I'm watching, too, man! Just don't have much to post about it... learnin'...

Mike

In a lot of ways, that is a good thing, Mike. No news is good news, right? If the samrt guys here that know what I am doing have nothing to add there is only two thing to think, I chose the good one.

No news is good news, but I'm not an engine builder, for sure... I can do head gaskets and rings, and pistons, and valves, and all that junk... If I can take it apart, I can put it back together... I'm not, however, experienced at building race engines; especially motorcycle engines (transmissions, really... engines are simple... Transmissions are more complex, or I just don't have as much / enough experience with them)...

Mike

wow im in complete awe, excellent work stan! I cant wait to get her back together!

I am hoping tomorrow to have the rings and spring seat. we will see.

Well I am running a sheet and keeping a running total, but, I am not too eager to hang someones laundry in public. I do have a lot of time in it, but only half or so in work.

But, just to give you the major things:

Getting it here turned out to be a bitch, and maybe a day of time,,,10 hours. I had gotten a huge break from Yellow freight, 75% off in a promotion phone call just before we were to send it. Great, lets set it up from his end with my info and company info. I had just shipped the same weight from the same area for 200. That make this cheap, right. More than 2 dozen phone calls and it still was more and was going on more than a month after delivery.

Tear down clean and inspect. Bout a day.

order parts another day.

deliver parts to machine shop another day. Why, well got to count and bag and box and load and deliver and unbox unbag and recount and spec work.( I normally unbag and count everything, but did not the new parts so they would not get lost, was a mistake) I don't do things like normal. My clearances and requirements are from 40 years of building race only engines and have a particullar way I want it done. Only a few will do it my way. And most don't have the tools that I require.

Three weeks later he had the tools to do the work, but, took another three weeks to get it done. Dozen calls.

Bore job done so go and get the block. 1/2 day

check bore to pistons and clearance and start filing and fitting rings to the bore is a good day work....wasted , see above, rings were the wrong set sent.

Valve job done, go and pickup, and start the port work. Takes two days to get it like I wanted. Clean and get ready to assemble.

See above. ( spend a good day looking for a valve spring height guage and spring pressure gauge to use on these heads. There aint one. no one make one and no one knows what to do about it. Now ain't that a kick in the nuts.) Tomek posted a cool tool to assemble valves on these motors, and was going to get it, but only good for 40 lb and lower. these are 60 seat presure. I could not find a spring compresor for a motocycle engine in all of this area.

So I make one. Another day down.

got another day in the rods and piston problem with assembly and machine work and hand work.

So what is that?

It's good to see someone who counts 10 hours as a day. In your days I got 11 1/2.

For government work, I'd call that 11.5 * 10 / 8 = 15 days.

Been watching...seems you were the right person to send it to..He needed someone who knows what their doing with this thing...I do motors as well,and run into the same type of problems you are all the time.Part of the game i guess...anyway nice job!...

Tomek posted a cool tool to assemble valves on these motors, and was going to get it, but only good for 40 lb and lower. these are 60 seat presure.

Wut ? I don`t see correlation whatsoever,,,,,,,,,but perhaps you would have to hire Schwarzenegger or N1k for those stiff springs, :icon_biggrin:

BTW ,those intake ports are friking HUGE,good think it is a turbo motor.

Tomek posted a cool tool to assemble valves on these motors, and was going to get it, but only good for 40 lb and lower. these are 60 seat presure.

Wut ? I don`t see correlation whatsoever,,,,,,,,,but perhaps you would have to hire Schwarzenegger or N1k for those stiff springs, :icon_biggrin:

When I called to order they said it would not work on spring pressures over 40. Something about the snap function of it. Yes the pressures are higher and really to much for hand. Would have really liked to have tried it.

All I did to the ports was match the seats to the ports as they were smaller by 1/8 inch all the way around, and clean the casting slag out. The bowl is not enlarged. I do change the width of the transition, but nothing to the top and bottom there, other than smooth the surface. Now the entrance I do work a lot.

He wants it to flow, and it will a lot better. It was nasty, but the seats were stunning. I tried to get some pictures of the seats brfore, and they are in the photobucket account, but were not lighted well enough.

When I called to order they said it would not work on spring pressures over 40. Something about the snap function of it. Yes the pressures are higher and really to much for hand. Would have really liked to have tried it.

All I did to the ports was match the seats to the ports as they were smaller by 1/8 inch all the way around, and clean the casting slag out. The bowl is not enlarged. I do change the width of the transition, but nothing to the top and bottom there, other than smooth the surface. Now the entrance I do work a lot.

He wants it to flow, and it will a lot better. It was nasty, but the seats were stunning. I tried to get some pictures of the seats brfore, and they are in the photobucket account, but were not lighted well enough.java script:bbc_pop()

Stock ports are fugly and actually too large in stock,normally aspirated form,I mean stock cam,etc.I don`t remember exact numbers but calculated velocity was below 300ft/sec.That is late 80`s, early 90`s way of thinking.I`ve made them smaller,pulls like tractor now.

If you wanna try that goofy tool PM me your shipping address and I`ll Priority Mail it on Monday.I won`t need it till winter .

Stock ports are fugly and actually too large in stock,normally aspirated form,I mean stock cam,etc.I don`t remember exact numbers but calculated velocity was below 300ft/sec.That is late 80`s, early 90`s way of thinking.I`ve made them smaller,pulls like tractor now.

I seem to remember R1000 (I think) did something similar when he ported his XX heads :icon_think:

I really envy you man,really wish i have the intelligence and time and place to do wat you are doing.For now,i can juz simply watch and wait for the finale.Gd job Stan.

sometimes I wonder as I said, if it is good for you guys. I want to really get into the whole thing and make something of it more than it is. But when I see that I am the only one posting it seams like it is self gratifying. I know Brent is looking sometimes, but, not sure others. There are some things that I would do to show how easy it is for someone to do if they were not so worried that they could not get through it. It is all just confidence, and seeing someone do it. Once.

Fear is ignorance, knowledge overcomes it.

I don't want to come off like I am a know it all, or think I am. I really am not afraid is all. Other thing scares me though. Like what is thought about me, unlike others.

But there are some things about this project that really needs to be shown. If I can I will. Might get to be a bit much, but it won't hurt for long....

And so it begins....

sometimes I wonder as I said, if it is good for you guys. I want to really get into the whole thing and make something of it more than it is. But when I see that I am the only one posting it seams like it is self gratifying. I know Brent is looking sometimes, but, not sure others. There are some things that I would do to show how easy it is for someone to do if they were not so worried that they could not get through it. It is all just confidence, and seeing someone do it. Once.

Fear is ignorance, knowledge overcomes it.

Stan,

If I don't think I can add value, I won't post on a mechanical thread.

That being said, Tim, Rich, Dale, and others have done some fantastic posts on repairs. I have done work that I would not have considered because of those post.

Your work on the quad and these engines is just amazing. Keep posting. I may never build a engine myself, but I do enjoy seeing someone else do it.

Don't think that a quiet thread isn't a appreciated thread.

Don't think that a quiet thread isn't a appreciated thread.

Just look at the view count - I keep a close eye on this thread cos it set me right on a whole bunch of issues - was thinking of getting my head flowed but decided thats probably not a great idea if the cams dont get degreed along with other changes like rejetting/full 4-1 system and some serious setup on a dyno...

Stock in my case might be optimal.

Its still appreciated tho - the benefit of your input already saved me a heap of pain and cash.