CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dual Compound tires

The Krypt Keeper

So its got 20,000 kms on it and you think it will go at least 5,000 km more? 25,000 kms is over 15,000 miles... holy crap that is a lot of miles for a rear tire on a 'Bird. I would be over joyed to get even 10,000 miles out of a rear.

Yeah, but most of my riding is commuting to from work at constant speed along the motorway, so I don't get a lot of chances for tyre shredding acceleration. :icon_razz:

So its got 20,000 kms on it and you think it will go at least 5,000 km more? 25,000 kms is over 15,000 miles... holy crap that is a lot of miles for a rear tire on a 'Bird. I would be over joyed to get even 10,000 miles out of a rear.

Yeah, but most of my riding is commuting to from work at constant speed along the motorway Mine is a slow Black one, so I don't get a lot of chances for tyre shredding acceleration. :icon_razz:

Fixxed it for ya mate :icon_razz::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Just ordered my 6th set of Shinko 009's - $181 delivered. Bike Bandit. Fronts average 10K, rears anywhere from 5K to 9K depending on how my right wrist behaves. No issues ever, and they need minimal weights, if any. Fronts tend to cup out on edges due to tread design, but center is only half gone at 10K.

Just ordered my 6th set of Shinko 009's - $181 delivered. Bike Bandit. Fronts average 10K, rears anywhere from 5K to 9K depending on how my right wrist behaves. No issues ever, and they need minimal weights, if any. Fronts tend to cup out on edges due to tread design, but center is only half gone at 10K.

Really...................................................

Was the picture before or after.... you switched tire Brands.... ?

:icon_twisted:

post-726-1234209715.jpg

Actually, that was when I had a Michelen Power on the rear, and that damn thing slid all over the place. Dave Strom had one just like it and it was a slippery POS also. The Serial numbers were about 50 apart on those two tires. I sold it to Jred after I rebuilt the bike since all he needed was a freeway tire for his work commute. Somebody told me those were good tires, but I got a bad one. But, it wasn't the tire's fault I crashed - it was my screw-up.

Thanks for the memories, dickhead........ :icon_funflip:

Anyone try the Bridgstones BT16's yet?

They are dual compound and seem pretty good priced also

They're dual compound, but still a supersport tire. I wouldn't expect them to last long on the XX. No personal experience (yet), but they are definitely more like Pilot Power 2CTs than Pilot Road 2CTs- rather than making the center harder, they made the sides softer.

I did some homework and based on price and reviews I'm planning on running the 016s on the track bike once I burn through the take-offs that are on there now, if that tells you anything.

They're dual compound, but still a supersport tire. I wouldn't expect them to last long on the XX.

One of the guys on OzBB had the 016's but found they squared off badly about 6000km and then the handling went off :icon_confused:

Really...................................................

Was the picture before or after.... you switched tire Brands.... ?

:icon_twisted:

Is this the short version of the "Bird" ? :icon_stickpoke:

Actually, that was when I had a Michelen Power on the rear, and that damn thing slid all over the place. Dave Strom had one just like it and it was a slippery POS also. The Serial numbers were about 50 apart on those two tires. I sold it to Jred after I rebuilt the bike since all he needed was a freeway tire for his work commute. Somebody told me those were good tires, but I got a bad one. But, it wasn't the tire's fault I crashed - it was my screw-up.

Thanks for the memories, dickhead........ :icon_funflip:

Hehe....

I just couldn't resist!

Isn't funny how Sometimes it takes Failure to find Greatness. (Just look at your bike now) :icon_biggrin:

I just took off a BT016 - hated it. Slick as baby snot when cold - I could spin it up in 1st and 2nd after a 20 mile freeway commute on dry roads in winter. When warm it sticks great - never got to feel as comfortable with it as the Z6 it replaced.

I have a PR2 on now - best feel ever. Really a great tire (ok... only done 1200km on it so far o its early days yet)

B

The new Qualifier 2 will be introduced here in Holland in March. I don't know when the'll launch in the USA.....

It has improved dureability, and will heat up faster......

The Roadsmart will suit most of the streetriding, but does lack some grip for very fast track-riding. In reality Dunlop combined in this set a sports front-tire and a dual compound sport/tourer rear tire.

Let us know about the Qualifier II. I really liked my Qualifiers on the XX.

I just got home this evening from RacerXX, what a blast that was !!!!!

My Pilot Road II's were awesome and now have balled up sticky rubber all the way to the edges.

They had less than 300 miles on them before hitting the track Saturday and never once let me down.

I am completely sold on PR II's now

• 4 months later...

Just returned from a 3200+ mile trip to the Canadian Rockies. I have a PP 2CT front and a Dunlop Roadsmart rear. In southern Alberta with 6600 miles on my rear I noticed I was at the wear indicators. I checked the tire at each fueling, and it just kept looking good until I got home 1200 miles later! Previously I've seen tires burn through the last 600-800 miles really quick, right down to the cords but not on the Roadsmart. I'm going to keep commuting on it for another 4-600 miles I'd guess for a total of 8300 or so miles. 60% of my riding is touring with overnight gear, 40% commuting and canyon carving. Heavy rains in Alberta on the Icefields Parkway and my tire combo performed great. I'm staying with this set up for sure.

I've just fitted the newly-released Avon VP2 Sport tyre. It has three different rubber compounds in the construction. There is a durable medium compound in the centre for improved mileage and a softer compound out to the edges for maximum grip at high lean angles. A third low hysteresis compound (rapid rebound property) is applied across the tread base to improve the bond between the two road contact compounds and the carcass underneath.

I've been a fan of Avon Storms since their release in late 2006 but went to an Avon Viper sport softer compound front last year. Both front and rear tyres lasted about 7000 km on coarse chip roads. Grip was exceptionally good but am now evaluating the VP2 (the successor to the Viper) both front and rear. I've only done 700 km on them so far but the grip is such in both wet and dry that my nerve gives out before the tyres do! The only unknown at this stage is how long they will last given the weight of the 'bird and its tendency to "push" the front end.

post-625-1248237328.jpeg

I bought a handfull of 2ct because I got them for less then standard paowers. :icon_evilgrin: I'm on the last set. If you're really hitting them (grade A road) you can watch the sides of the rear disapear.

Ummm, I've noticed you seem to have that same problem with just about every tire you ever mounted on your bird. :icon_biggrin:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Roadsmarts in the spring, summer and fall, D616s in the winter.