CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dual Compound tires

The Krypt Keeper

I will be needing some new rubber in a 1,000 miles or so. Been looking at alot of dual compound tires as a replacement.

In my search I have noticed 2 things

There is old school dual compound Dunlops Roadsmart, and new dual compounds like the Pilot Power 2CT. I am looking for the newer dual compounds tires and was curious of what tires people have tried on the XX?

I need something that wears like steel in the center and grips good for the twisties. I liked the Avons ST's for wear as a day to the mountains involved 125 mile trip to get started. However I quickly learned they don't like the pressure I put on them in the twisites. Went to M3's and while they were OK for wear (3,000 miles until done) they would break loose causing me to loose faith in them quickly..

any info would be great

Dave

I've been running regular Pilot Powers on my XX with good results. 3000 miles is a pretty average life for the PP's on the XX. I'm using 2CT's on my 1098 and love them. I haven't worn out a set of the 2CT's yet, so I don't know how long they'll last on the Duc.

I bought a handfull of 2ct because I got them for less then standard paowers. :icon_evilgrin: I'm on the last set. If you're really hitting them (grade A road) you can watch the sides of the rear disapear. Nice tire though. Never gotten any scarry movement out of them. If your looking for more than 3000 look at the new roads. Same sides as the old powers and same middle as old roads. There next on my list.

I'm a couple of thousand km into my 3rd PR2 rear, last one I got ~10 000km out of before the side wore out on the RH side :icon_surprised:

The previous one was looking the same until 6500km when it picked up a nail :icon_wall:

Never had a problem with them otherwise, stick like shit to a blanket once warm (very quick warm up) and just a little wiggle when wet or cold under hard acceleration :icon_dance: Just put on a front PR2 as well :icon_think:

When my PR2s wear out I'm going back to Dunlop Qualifiers. I may even change them early or just take a long trip.

I'll just call it personal preference but I never felt as secure on the PR2s as on the Qualifiers.

The Dunlop were shot when I put the PR2s on but Qualifiers were still better (except for the last few hundred miles).

With one front and two rears I got about 7,000 miles with the Dunlop Qualifiers.

I run the Pilot Power 2 CT's on my sportbike (600RR), but I run the PR2 on my ST1300 and really like them. It is my first set of PR2's, so I can tell you what the mileage is going to be, but they are Pilot Roads in the middle of the tire and Pilot Powers on the edges. I've had the ST1300 cranked over far enough to scrape the pegs several times with my wife on the back also. Good Grip and suppose to do very well in the wet also..........although I have NOT tried out that aspect of the tire.

I run the PR2's on the XX, and love them. They stick like glue on the sides, and really last. I had 7500 miles on the rear after I got back from out West this year, and still probably had another 1000 to go before I ended up changing it anyways. Out West, when the roads got twisty, I had NO problems with these tires.

They're a bit more expensive, but totally worth it.

I run original powers on my XX. I like them,,,really great profile,,,the xx just falls in.

I think i will replace my F4i's Avon Storms with Pilots, this coming season. It would be nice to have the same tire on both bikes.....if it makes sense.

I will be needing some new rubber in a 1,000 miles or so. Been looking at alot of dual compound tires as a replacement.

There is old school dual compound Dunlops Roadsmart, and new dual compounds like the Pilot Power 2CT. I am looking for the newer dual compounds tires and was curious of what tires people have tried on the XX?

I need something that wears like steel in the center and grips good for the twisties. I liked the Avons ST's for wear as a day to the mountains involved 125 mile trip to get started. However I quickly learned they don't like the pressure I put on them in the twisites. Went to M3's and while they were OK for wear (3,000 miles until done) they would break loose causing me to loose faith in them quickly..

any info would be great

Dave

Hi Dave

Im new to this site and living in Australia. I have been running the Pilot road 2CT, front and rear for a while now and they stick very well in wet & dry conditions. We get Temperatures of 40 + celcius here in summer and Im averaging 10,000km out of a rear tyre with touring & sports riding. Cant recomend them highly enough. I wont use any other tyre on my Bird.

any info would be great

Dave

Where do you get your information from? The Dunlops are actually newer than the Michelins, and they perform a whole lot better on our bikes.....

I have a motorcycle-tire shop and I've mounted hundreds of tires on Blackbirds. All riders who tried both agree that the Dunlop is the better tire for a Blackbird.....

any info would be great

Dave

Where do you get your information from? The Dunlops are actually newer than the Michelins, and they perform a whole lot better on our bikes.....

I have a motorcycle-tire shop and I've mounted hundreds of tires on Blackbirds. All riders who tried both agree that the Dunlop is the better tire for a Blackbird.....

the roadsmart???

Road surfaces are completely different in Europe as compared to the States.

Don't even think that you will get the same wear results here in the States as you get in Europe.

The Michelin's don't seem to hold up or last in Europe anywhere near as well as they do here in the States.

I personally like the Pilot Road 2's the best but that is just me.

I put on a new pair of PR2's in preparation for RacerXX

Yep, the Roadsmarts are Dunlops reply to the preexisting PR2 and BT021, only released in late '07 I think. And it's either Pilot Road 2 or Pilot Power 2CT, there is no Pilot Road 2CT.

For the record I had a set of Roadsmarts, and as my riding is mostly highway commuting my tyres last a long time. I had 20,000km on the OEM D205 when it was dead & replaced it with the Roadsmart, currently at 20,000 & 5,000-10,000 left on it still. Not too badly flattened in the middle yet. The front had a failure though and went in at 20,000km with a 5"long blister 1" wide on both the outside and inside. It had ~ 10,000 left with my riding.

Currently have a Pilot Sport on the front.

Road surfaces are completely different in Europe as compared to the States.

Don't even think that you will get the same wear results here in the States as you get in Europe.

The Michelin's don't seem to hold up or last in Europe anywhere near as well as they do here in the States.

I personally like the Pilot Road 2's the best but that is just me.

I put on a new pair of PR2's in preparation for RacerXX

I agree about the wear. But I don't really know how to compair grip and handling, because I've never riden in the USA........

I love the Qualifiers for handling and grip, but the mileage for touring duty is terrible. I have a rear Roadsmart that I paired with a Qualifier front and it seemed to work very well for cornering and mileage, but I've only put about 600 miles on it. It's a little early to make a solid recommendation. I swapped it for a Qualifier when I went to a track day in September. The Roadsmart will be back on for touring duty this Spring and we'll see then how good it is.

I love the Qualifiers for handling and grip, but the mileage for touring duty is terrible. I have a rear Roadsmart that I paired with a Qualifier front and it seemed to work very well for cornering and mileage, but I've only put about 600 miles on it. It's a little early to make a solid recommendation. I swapped it for a Qualifier when I went to a track day in September. The Roadsmart will be back on for touring duty this Spring and we'll see then how good it is.

The new Qualifier 2 will be introduced here in Holland in March. I don't know when the'll launch in the USA.....

It has improved dureability, and will heat up faster......

The Roadsmart will suit most of the streetriding, but does lack some grip for very fast track-riding. In reality Dunlop combined in this set a sports front-tire and a dual compound sport/tourer rear tire.

... replaced it with the Roadsmart, currently at 20,000 & 5,000-10,000 left on it still.

So its got 20,000 kms on it and you think it will go at least 5,000 km more? 25,000 kms is over 15,000 miles... holy crap that is a lot of miles for a rear tire on a 'Bird. I would be over joyed to get even 10,000 miles out of a rear.

I am going to try PR2s on mine this month. The center is bald and the sides look almost new...only 3 days at the gap. Too many Florida miles.

Krypt Keeper....... consider a throttle limiter...set it just above an idle.