CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dirty, Stained Grout

John01XX

My foreclosure purchase has some pretty nice ceramic tile down everywhere in the living, dining room and Kitchen area. 18" x 18"

The grout is nasty looking. Was originally beige and now is black in some spots and dirty brown in others. I had "ServiceMaster' come in and professionally clean the grout with a high alkaline chemical and follow up with a pressure sprayer but did not cut it. It looks better but still nasty.

I have hand scrubbed it with another very high alkaline solution I got from my work chemical suppiler but still will not get through the stains that have penetrated the grout.

I was told by a friend and tile setter that I would have to grind out the old grout and refloat new grout in place. Very messy and time consuming. The only other option that was tabled was to stain all of the the existing grout with a dark brown stain.

Does anyone know of the easiest way to grind out old grout ? What tool works best etc. ?

In your infinite wisdom has anyone any suggestions or solutions minus replacing all the Tile completely ?

John, if you have grind out the old grout (which it sounds like you do). Go to Home Depot and buy a Roto-Zip tool which costs around $80. I had to do this for some bathroom tiles that didn't stick properly. It's still a messy job but the Roto-Zip worked well and I was able to reuse all the tile with no damage.

Just spoke with my chemical guy for work and I am going to try alittle acid tonight and see what happens

John,

In the kitchens of my hotels the grout gets really greasy, stained, and pretty fucked up.

1 time per year we rent one of those super duper high power steamers. The steam get's like FO million degrees with a very fine blast of steam. BOOM....as white as snow. The we re-seal it.

You may want to look into that. You shouldn't need to re-grout. As a last ditch effort...bleach it.

No Luck with acid or alkaline chemicals except I now have a small 1/2" wide strip alongside one 18" tile from the acid eching ! The acid will eat the tile up but not the nasty grout.

Bought a grout saw from Harbor Freight and got about 6 tiles done and they look great BUT.................. you talk about labor intensive !!!!!

Hand sawing the top 1/8" of grout out is major chore. Got 6 done and only about 100 more to do.

Pictures to follow

Bought two grout saws from Harbour Freight but ......No fun to use and a very slow process !

So took up Daves suggestion today and rented a commercial high pressure dry steam blaster machine.

Gonna give it a try this evening. At $75.00 a day rental I have to return it by 1:00 tomorrow

We will see how well it works

Bought two grout saws from Harbour Freight but ......No fun to use and a very slow process !

So took up Daves suggestion today and rented a commercial high pressure dry steam blaster machine.

Gonna give it a try this evening. At $75.00 a day rental I have to return it by 1:00 tomorrow

We will see how well it works

That's what we use bro....I hope it works. We use it all the time and it works on the worst hotel grout you have EVER seen. If it doesn't work.....you have alien grout.

The steamer we use has a little wire circular brush that the steam comes out of. Hopefully you have something like that.

Let me know how it goes.

So far it is getting alo better but still does not come up white as it should. I was up till 0100 and back at it again this morning at 0600 and now waiting to heat up again as I ran out of water.

the problem is that the previous owners put down hundreds of coats of floor wax on top of dirt and filth.

The ceramic tile is a nice textured beige marbled tile that comes up nice and clean but the grout is full of dirt and wax.

Looks like I will be applying dye next week and changing the color from beige to medium chocolate brown grout

Yea i should have taken some before shots but got the steam jenny right after work and have to have it returned by 1:00 today so have been real busy trying to get done in time to avoid another $75.00 charge.

I am almost done now. again waiting to reheat after my 4th refill of water. Should be my last time.

My knee's are killing me now but the tile sure looks alot better. It may not be commpletely clean but it is completely sanitized !