CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mio GPS Mounted to steering head.

RichardCranium

I've been meaning to snap some pics of this though I think there are some other pics floating around too but maybe this will be useful to someone.

I decided to mount my Mio right to the steering head. It actually turned out to be a pretty simple install and IMO puts the GPS in the perfect position. I was fiddling around with some other stuff today so I figured I would take some pics.

Here is the factory Mio mount.

normal_DSCF0062.JPG

Here are the parts you will need if you elect to use the factory Mio bracket to mount to your bike.

Mio bracket base, ram ball, ram arm and hardware.

normal_DSCF0063.JPG

I really need to buy another bracket so I don't have to keep swapping this one out between the bike and the car.

Here is the bracket base, ram ball, short ram arm and hardware assembled.

normal_DSCF0064.JPG

Another 1" ram ball is mounted to a piece of all-thread that goes thru the steering head.

normal_DSCF0065.JPG

Mio bracket mounted to ram ball.

normal_DSCF0066.JPG

And a pic with the GPS mounted.

normal_DSCF0067.JPG

View while seated.

normal_DSCF0068.JPG

Pic of the bottom of the steering head. You can see the all-thread, large washer and lock nut but below the horn.

normal_DSCF0070.JPG

Please show how you got that RAM ball on the steering column. There's no real depth to that hole to support anything and I'd like to see how you got around it and still managed to screw the cap back on.

I just used a long piece of all-thread. If you don't know its like a steel rod with threads all the way down it or a really long bolt with no head.

I can not remember the exact length. The steering stem is hollow. Just pop out the rubber plug on the top and stick the all-thread thru there and put a washer and nut on the bottom. I can't remember if I used a washer or a flange nut on the top. A certain size flange nut will sit in that hole perfectly and will hold the all-thread from spinning or moving but using a washer works just fine too.

Flange nut:

1555%2010.JPG

The last pic shows the bottom of the steering head so you get an idea of how long the all-thread is. Basically its like one really long bolt going thru the steering head.

Also if you need to see larger pics you can go to the url for the pics and just remove the "normal_" part from the url...or go here http://www.blackbirdpilot.com/coppermine/t...ls.php?album=23

I post links to the smaller ones because the larger ones are HUGE.

Please show how you got that RAM ball on the steering column. There's no real depth to that hole to support anything and I'd like to see how you got around it and still managed to screw the cap back on.

Take Ram Ball to the hardware store with you:

At any hardware store, buy:

Piece of threaded rod (that fits the ram ball),

A fender washer (fits the rod)

Nylon stop nut which fits the rod,

Regular nut (fits the rod),

12 mm flange nut (threads won't fit the rod)

Put 12 mm flange nut in vice.

Take a drill bit and expand the 12 mm flange nut hole until it's able to slide over threaded rod.

Insert threaded rod through steering coumn, all the way down until it pokes out the bottom.

Underneat the steering colum (by the horn) put fender washer on, and nylon nut. Tighten until it's well seated. Threaded rod will be sticking out the top of the stem, probably too long. You'll be cutting that off shortly.

Put 12 mm nut upside down over the threaded rod into the center of the steering stem. This will keep it in the middle and not let it slop around.

Put regular nut on threaded rod, tighten until it holds the rod in place.

Measure amount of threaded rod the Ram Ball will need, and cut threaded rod to fit.

Screw Ram Ball into place.

Thanks. I'm going to go get an extra ball mount for that project. :icon_biggrin:

I'd rather mount the GPS there or just have the option to use that central point for mounting stuff, like my camera.

[edit]

Express Mounts added the ball and gave me the code for a 5% discount...FYI.

RAMLIVECHAT = 5% off your order

Whats the vibration like on a mount like this?

Zero. Its absolutely rock solid. Thats one of the advantages to mounting it like this instead of on some sort of arm sticking up off of one of your clip-ons.

• 8 years later...

Brett,  how does the center dimpled ring come off t o install the carbon fiber key protector you have on your bike. Does it thread off?  I was in a hurry and tried popping it off as I thought it was just a beauty ring.....

And holy thread resurrection!:D:o  I may have to mount a GPS in the center as well, looks clean.

On 11/7/2008 at 3:56 AM, Aunt Zero said:

Anyone know where they find a 12 mm hex nut?

My local store has 11 and 13, but no 12 so far. Is there an SAE equivalent that works?

I assume you mean a nut with a 12mm head and not actually a 12mm nut?  No metric hardware fits properly with sae nor vise-versa.  Some will thread on, but will be loose or too tight and the thread pitch would be off.  Nothing about that mount makes me think 12mm, 8mm looks about right.  If you're looking for a nut with a 12mm head it's probably an 8mm nut which is very close to 5/16" which would generally have a 1/2" hex.  Closest sae to 12 would be 1/2", 1/2" being closer to 13mm than 12mm.  So you likely need an M8X1.25 nut, 1.25 being the most common thread pitch for M8 hardware and a very common size you can find anywhere.

wow, old thread...   still have my Mio around.   

I had a RAM mount on the Bird way before the Mio with a Garmin III+

The iii+ wasnt very useful to navigate, but at least I knew where I was.

I used the RAM ball with a little angled tab, and there was a bolt with rubber expandable "nut" sold for the stem hole.  

On 6/6/2017 at 2:53 PM, TOXXIC said:

Brett,  how does the center dimpled ring come off t o install the carbon fiber key protector you have on your bike. Does it thread off?  I was in a hurry and tried popping it off as I thought it was just a beauty ring.....

And holy thread resurrection!:D:o  I may have to mount a GPS in the center as well, looks clean.

A little thread necromancy going on here.

I have never had that cap off. The protector just goes around it.