CBR1100XX.org Forum

Erecting a gate on concrete

I need some help anchoring the metal poles for a metal gate for a dog run. The concrete is in, so it's too late for putting the poles in the concrete. The metal poles are square and have a platform with 4 holes drilled thru.

I've seen some concrete bolts at the Depot. Do these work? Do I just drill a hole and pound them in? It can't be that easy. The gate is not that huge, about 4 feet wide by 5 feet tall, steel bars, prolly weighs about 15 pounds.

Any one done this before? Please help, my dogs just keep pushing the make-shift plywood gate I set up over.

Thanks!! Sean.

Use a hammer drill to drill the holes if you have one available... Much easier.

In college I worked for a glass/glazing contractor and we use to anchor aluminum frames directly into cement all the time...

drill a hole with the hammer drill, then anchor it with concrete screws...

Works great.

Yup, it really is that easy. They work great, too. Just buy the biggest you can to fit the holes in the posts. For this level of work you might want to also stuff the holes with glue (mostly to prevent water damage over the years).

And get a carbide concrete drill bit. The hammer drill makes it easier.

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the help. I guess I just have to jump in and do it now! I'll buy some glue, I have everything else already.

Thanks again for the tips!

Sean.

Oh, BTW, double-check your concrete for level in two directions before doing this. You never know if it was layed level or settled over time. A small off-level condition translates to a bigger error over the length of a post.

Herman, thanks for the offer! I have my dad's in the garage now, on loan. I will tackle it in a couple weeks when I get back from vacation.

Thanks for the offer Herman! Talk to you soon. We need to go riding!

Sean.