CBR1100XX.org Forum

My home remodeling project

N1K

I am winding down on a substantial home remodeling project. I purchased my first house in Feb of 2003 and it REALLY needed updating.

The house was built in 1926, and the only thing that had ever been done (in terms of updating) was carpet and paint. (so it had the original 1926 bathroom and kitchen)

I thought I'd share some recent pictures of the work I've done, and would love to see others home remodeling projects, for ideas, and also in case others come across things I might wonder about.

I have done all the work myself except laying the carpet, and Tim (redbird) came up and did my roof for me, as I helped out as a laborer on the project.

I will update this with pictures tomorrow... But so far I have:

Re-carpeted living room and 2nd floor.

Laid approx 400 sq ft of porcelain tile in the kitchen, dining room, and 2 halls. (covered an old nasty hardwood floor that was beyond re-finishing)

Knocked down an interior wall between the kitchen and livingroom to open up the floorplan.

cut-out an exterior wall to add a sliding patio door.

New kitchen (appliances, cubpoards, countertop, sink, plumbing, etc)

Painted the entire interior.

new window treatments (mini-blinds instead of curtains)

New trim throughout most of the house.

Re-insulated the attic

New light fixtures, and added some outlets.

Pine Planking lining all the upstairs hallway, stairway, and landing at the top of the stairs. (in other words, only the bedrooms do not have the pine planking.) I'm partially done with this.

On the exterior I have only installed a garage door opener (genie accelerator) and re-deck, added an ice-barrier and re-shingled part of the roof. (with Redbird doing most the work)

Things left to do:

Remodel bathroom

Add deck

Finish roof

Paint exterior (aluminum siding)

Here's a picture of the house the day of closing:

front.jpg

Before and after view of the rear of the house after adding patio door.

bna5.jpg

Here is the dining room before and after pictures. (added patio door in place of window)

Before:

diningrmbefore.jpg

After:

bar4.jpg

(you can see the porcelain tile better in this picture)

bar2.jpg

diningrmbna.jpg

wallbna.jpg

kitbna.jpg

This stuff is not done, but in progress

upclosetbna.jpg

The wood color change is because some of the wood I put a polyurethane coat on before I put it up, some is yet to be stained.

stairwell.jpg

bna1.jpg

bna2.jpg

Would love to see others home remodeling pictures/stories, or share info with anyone looking to do any of the things I've done. I can share all my mistakes and un-forseen obstacles :???: There have been plenty. :wink:

UPdated the pictures..

I need your guys opinion...

In the kitchen... Should I run my cedar planking up to the ceiling above the cabinets of leave it white up there????

I am winding down on a substantial home remodeling project.  I purchased my first house in Feb of 2003 and it REALLY needed updating.

Looks good Nik, but you left out the most important addition..

The rainbow in the window :grin:

:cool: TJ :cool:

Damn Nik...great job. The place looks fantastic. We are in the process of doing some more painting etc but man do I hate painting. We have done a little at a time and I have been meaning to update my site with some before and after pics.

As for the kitchen. I think it looks great like it is. I don't see any reason to take the planking up to the ceiling...though I may have missed somthing. I'm thinking the white at the top gives it a little bit of balance.

Nik , kitchen looks excellent. I'm curruntly remodeling my kitchen.I'm hand buiding all my own cabinets out of cedar and pine to match my hand built cedar island. I installed about the same type and color tile you did but I set mine on a 45 degree angle with black tile around the island on a 90 degree if can get a visual on that. After seening your before and after pic's. I'm excited to get mine done.

Mark

Yeah, I kinda got lucky with my tile color...

First I had purchases brown marble... Then I was told how soft marble was and to NOT use marble in a kitchen...

By that time I had already ordered the cabinets and countertop, and carpet was already in...

So I had to find a tile that went with those 3 things...

Was really pleased with the porcelain tile I found.

It has a range of color... from kinda ivory to almost tan with also hints of grey... I like the texture, and it also has little sparklies in it that light up when sunlight hits it.

Anyway... it was really the only tile I found that matched the counter and the carpet.

looking forward to seeing your pics!!!!!!!!!