CBR1100XX.org Forum

Plastic repair...building new onto old

rockmeupto125

Some time ago we got into a discussion about plastic epoxies in regards to repairing damaged or missing plastic pieces. I can't find that thread now, but as I recall that EVLXX, Stan, and JRA were all in on it.

I need to build a new headlight ear and am looking for the right stuff (that works) to buy.

Thanks.

Joe, I have looked and am not sure that would be good enough for this. I built one for mine with the welder and it has worked so far. Was the only way to get enough penetration. Everything I have tried unless I had something that was strong enough to hook to, let go. Some of the JB weld stuff did better than any epoxies. CRYANOACRILIC comes to mind with plastic mixed in. I had all the locations bookmarked but lost them after hooking Vick's new Iphone to my computer and then deleting the sinc BM's from the phone. When I hooked back it deleted mine off the computer.

You do have the welder?

Remove all waxes and clean area of application well. Rough lightly if bonded/repaired surface is smooth or polished. You can use super glue and baking soda to stick to almost any plastic with a clean and lightly roughed surface. Apply super glue to the desired fill/fix area and then sprinkle a pinch of baking soda into the glue before it hardens. Keep applying glue and baking soda alternately until desired result is attained. You can fill cracks or keep building it up to form a tab or mount ear. I've used this method on several different types of plastic with good results. It ain't pretty, but it holds on and seems to weather well. You can use it to "glue" an old broken tab or similar back on or just keep building it up until you have the size and shape that you need to be worked down to a finish with hand tools. Hope this helps...

All that is fine on a body part, but the mounts for the headlight? That will take a lot of stress and vibration. Welding is the only way to get it back to long chain molecule.

how about repairing a crack in the rear cowl? When I first got my bird, my wife sat too far back and there is about a 1 inch crack in the middle right behind my seat. Can I use some sort of epoxy from the inside to keep it from growing anymore?

I have, and worked fine. Have done it a few ways. As long as you rough the inside surface and clean good most stick well. If you put some screen wire in will hold real good.

But I still like the welder. I have perfected a way that seams to work well on the inside. I will v the crack with a hot wedge bout half way through and fold that furrow back in with a paddle in waves like a weld looks. I will use the aluminum tape on the outside to hold together and to disipate the heat across the plastic. If you do it right, and tight, the crack is all that shows on the outside, and I have some that that is pretty hard to see, even looking at it..

Joe, I've been using this http://www.goferauto.com/47dusufaad04.html for many years with excellent results. You will also need product # 4910 as a prep. These are available at most auto parts stores. This stuff sets up in seconds, so get your shit together before you start. It works on all abs stuff, as well as many other materials.