CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike surging -- out of town, please help!

Bunbun

Hey guys, I went on a short trip today, filled up once and hit the road again. About 40 miles after the fill up, I hit a bump - not really bad and didn't upset the bike but it was pretty harsh. As soon as I hit the bump, the FI light came on and the bike started to slow -- no gas. About 2 seconds later, the light goes off and everything is fine. For the next 10 miles, the FI light would come on when I hit a decent bump (not all bumps, just the ones you'd notice). The light came on about 3 or 4 more times and would immediately go off. I pulled into a service station and as soon as I got in and down to idle, the bike died completely. After a quick examination, I didn't see anything wrong, cranked up the bike and headed down the road to my destination a few miles away. Light came on a couple more times and went off.

On the way to my current destination, it happened a few more times and I noticed a few more odd bits. This time, it didn't matter if I hit a bump or not as the light came on when it was a smooth surface. The duration of the light seemed a bit longer these two times. In town, it surges very badly, but the light is not on. At the beginning of the ride the bike did overheat to about 250-252 for a brief period (4 or 5 times) in traffic but it never stayed over 250 for more than a few seconds at a time, and the duration of the 240+ degree temps was about 5 mins.

It's been about a month since I've ridden the bike, but I put about 150 miles on it before this started happening. I'm at my GF's mom's house near terrell, tx and my tool selection is limited to what I always keep with me. I've taken off the tank and don't see any crimped lines or anything terribly obvious broken, missing or leaking. I figure there may be crap in the tank or something got jarred when I initially hit that bump, something wrong with the computer or the fuel pump is dying.

I don't have my manual here, but I do have broadband neenernet. Please help me out! Any suggestions on troubleshooting or have any idea what could be wrong? Or can someone post me a link to download a pdf manual for the bike?

Thanks!

Bun

Would this be a 2000 model? Then I would look to the wire loom.

If not I would get rid of the fuel you have and try fresh fuel.

I'm not sure how to check the fuel pressure reg. but that could be causing this.

Do a search in here about Fuel pressure regs.

Good luck, wish I could be more help.

Check and make sure your battery connections are secure. Also check all fuses and solenoids to make sure none are loose.

Check and make sure your battery connections are secure. Also check all fuses and solenoids to make sure none are loose.

+1 on something electrical. Sounds very much like a loose connection somewhere.

Interesting you mention the battery. I've had a few other very minor issues with the electrical and I was thinking my battery may be dying. I've not replaced it since I've had the bike (2 years) and I have no idea if it was replaced at any time by the PO. Good thing to look at.

I've checked fuses, however I haven't checked much other electrical related stuff -- good call, I'll do that here in a few minutes. Thanks for the assistance and any other ideas are welcome!

It's an 02 bird btw eddy -- no issues with that year for the loom that you know of?

Bun

well, thanks for the ideas, I think y'all may have called it. I checked the terminal connections and the ground screw on the battery was about a turn or so loose. Hopefully that'll do it -- appreciate the 'other set of eyes' and the KISS reminder :)

Bun

+1 2000 wiring loom - I just did mine, sounds very similar and after doing it, basically the whole bike grounds in those dozen or so wires, anything can happen. It was classic when I was wiggling mine while it was running, the bad connections would make the whole system go just ape shit. Lights flickering blinkers coming on / off, stuttering engine etc...