CBR1100XX.org Forum

'98 Bird won't turn over/start

BarryG

idiots at NAPA couldn't do a load test after telling me on the phone they could........."sorry we have some new employees here" :icon_rolleyes:

Bought a voltmeter....fully charged battery reading 12.9 volts with the bike started. 4000 rpm.....battery is 12V and lower....actually at one point dipped to 10.5 V.....so it looks like it's not the battery but the R/R most likey or stator.....downloading the service manual....not sure if I want to mess with anything more....may take it to the shop I always go to and let them do it.

Electrosport is near me and found another thread on the board where the guy working there made a custom R/R with more juice for the XX for him.....I'll try the same since replacing with OEM doesn't sound very inspiring. Don't really want to mess with an R1 r/r if got mess with it to make it fit..etc. May replace stator too for good measure. Until then....battery is on the trickle charger while bike sits. Nice having another bike to ride at least.......

Sounding more and more like the symptoms I was having before the stator gave up it's ghost....

Ya -- i was trying to walk him through a stator test this afternoon but he got a bit spooked by the prospect -- what should the bird do --bout 80 acv on all 3 legs ?

Sounding more and more like the symptoms I was having before the stator gave up it's ghost....

Ya -- i was trying to walk him through a stator test this afternoon but he got a bit spooked by the prospect -- what should the bird do --bout 80 acv on all 3 legs ?

50-70 AC

Installed the new custom regulator from Electrosport. Bigger than stock since it has heat fins on it....connector matches right up...just need considerably longer bolts for it and it it's a tight fit but it fits.

fully charged battery with new regulator read 14+ DCV at 2500 and 4000 rpm.....voltage kept going up with load.....stock regulator was dipping way down...under 11. So just went out for an hour ride.......seems to running great again. I'll leave the battery off the charger and start it up Mon and see if there's any problem.

Thanks for the replies!

Installed the new custom regulator from Electrosport. Bigger than stock since it has heat fins on it....connector matches right up...just need considerably longer bolts for it and it it's a tight fit but it fits.

fully charged battery with new regulator read 14+ DCV at 2500 and 4000 rpm.....voltage kept going up with load.....stock regulator was dipping way down...under 11. So just went out for an hour ride.......seems to running great again. I'll leave the battery off the charger and start it up Mon and see if there's any problem.

Thanks for the replies!

:icon_needpics:

Lets see this custom regulator.

I want to upgrade the one on my bike as I've got a fair amount of electronics running.

How do you test the stator? I have a R1 R/R on my 97 XX and it worked great. Everything is fine at 44k miles. What are the symptoms of a stator that's on its last leg?

Thanks for the replies!

:icon_needpics:

Lets see this custom regulator.

I want to upgrade the one on my bike as I've got a fair amount of electronics running.

Sorry didn't take a pic before putting the tail section back on. But it looks similar to this one from H20's thread......supposedly the one I got is the same one but not sure if it looks exactly the same. call electrosport.....ask for Eric or Trent if you're interested. $100 for the regulator

http://www.electrosport.com/contact/

post-2398-1185832458.jpg

How do you test the stator? I have a R1 R/R on my 97 XX and it worked great. Everything is fine at 44k miles. What are the symptoms of a stator that's on its last leg?

I've found the attached fault finding chart to be easier to follow that the one in the service manual.

fault_finding.pdf