CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB- carb/ throttle body sync gauge

my advice would be to stay away from the gauge type as you need to calibrate each gauge to have any idea if they are even close------and for you want something a whole lot more than 'close'. I have used the mercury tube type for years with very good results.

There was a post on here a few months ago as I recall, where someone mentioned a setup out of england that looked really sweet. I had thought about ordering some because the setup was smaller than mine. Might be worth checking out. You should only need to make the investment one time---so make it a good one.

Happy trails kel

Here is the link to the one I was mentioning that looks like the hot ticket----happy trails kel

http://www.carbtune.com/

Picked up the Carbtune with case about 6 months ago. Back then with the currency conversion(which I wasn't smart enough to read right), my Visa was billed $135. Nice piece, but unless I was making my living working on bikes, I would probably not have bought them.

RC Randy, if you have kept it and the pouch in good shape----and would like to sell them for $100 delivered--please PM me.

Regardless-----happy trails, kel

RC Randy, if you have kept it and the pouch in good shape----and would like to sell them for $100 delivered--please PM me.

Regardless-----happy trails, kel

At this point I'm just going to hold on to it. If I have to justify the expense on tools like this, I just figure it paid for its self in one trip of letting the stealership do the job.

you are absolutely right. The stealerships will most likely get them balanced within specs (giving the benefit of the doubt) but seldom, will you find someone that will take the time to get it as close as you can-----and that 'edge' is what makes the BIG difference.

It has been my philosophy for a very long time that there is only one thing worse than having no tool for a specialized job---and that is to have a poor tool, because you THINK you have an adequate tool---but in reality, you do not. You made a very good choice, IMHO, when you bought the carbtune setup. My mercury tube type works as precisely as physics, but are rather large large and somewhat awkward to use (I didn't think that before I saw the carbtune and started to justifying spending the money).

Wishing you many happy trails kel

81243542_tp.jpg

I have this one. Quality piece. As a matter of fact I just synced my TB's on my VFR with it. Absolutly zero needle bounce. Adjustable needle valves work flawlessly. Easy to read. I forget on the XX, but the VFR requires cylinders 1 and 2 to be the same, 3 20mm/hg less and 4 10 mm/hg less. Very easy to do with this tool. It would be impossible to do with mercury sticks.

81243542_tp.jpg

I have this one. Quality piece. As a matter of fact I just synced my TB's on my VFR with it. Absolutly zero needle bounce. Adjustable needle valves work flawlessly. Easy to read. I forget on the XX, but the VFR requires cylinders 1 and 2 to be the same, 3 20mm/hg less and 4 10 mm/hg less. Very easy to do with this tool. It would be impossible to do with mercury sticks.

Surely you jest!!! What do you mean 'it would be impossible with mercury sticks"? The needle bounce you refer to is controled by either a baffle or damper at the gauge or in the hose. On a mercury stick set up, at least all the ones I have seen, it is a baffle in the hose that smooths the pulses. If you have calibrated your gauges and they are even close to each other you are very fortunate. Usually precision gauges are very expensive. Mercury sticks on the other hand are a precise as the laws of physics. If there is too much 'bounce' a person just needs baffles that have a smaller hole (more restrictive).

As for the readings----I wouldn't have a clue why the VFR would require different settings on different cylinders. Something tricky----but on inline fours such as the BB---they should all be the same. In the manual for the '97 it calls for them to be within 20mm (0.8in) of HG of the base carburetor (#3). The closer to 0 difference the better of course.

For those that may not have tested their gauges---just use a Mighty-Vac and pull a vacuum of say 10inHG indicated on the Mighty-Vac and see what each of the gauges is indicating. That way you know if any compensation is needed.

Happy trails kel

$12 Carb sync tool This worked perfectly for me three times now, on two different 4cylinder 4-strokes. My xx and my friends yamaha 1000. I leave it capped off and propped up in the garage. . .ready for action. Any questions?