CBR1100XX.org Forum

That fresh new-tool smell...

SwampNut

saw1.jpg

saw2.jpg

Here it is resting comfortable next to the other parking spot after a little use...

saw3.jpg

Replaced this piece o' crap...

saw_old.jpg

Damn it cuts nice. And the precision...I've never owned a tool that measures in inches, millimeters, and "cunt hair." I was making half-millimeter adjustments as if it was a precision milling maching. No binding, no kick, no slow-downs like with my old saw. The table has some sort of surface that wood just glides over. It finds the natural feed speed almost automatically, no need to think about it. It was eating up 8/4 hardwood like my old saw did with 3/4" plywood.

Problem: When you have a new saw like this, everything looks like it needs cutting.

Carlos, you bastard! That is the same table saw I just tried to buy at Lowes this weekend. Sorry buddy, sold out, would like a rain check? No, I want my damn saw! They are hard to find in northern Ca for some reason.

Don't cut your fingers off.

Then you probably don't want to know how little I paid for it my local Lowe's... Clearance/return item, bribed a teenager to use his very generous employee discount, had a coupon, and returned something I forgot I had in the attic for a year still in the box.

Don't cut your fingers off.

I kept thinking about that after I took off the guard/kickback teeth to cut some oversize wood. Since it's 1/4" thicker than the saw's cutting height, I could feed it with my hand on top of the wood. What a weird feeling that was. Something in the back of my mind refused to stop panicking even after my hand passed the blade.

I wish it wasn't too late to go cut some more. I think my neighbors had enough of it though.

Shame on your for showering the bird in sawdust!

Nah, that's just dirt and mud and shit from riding it. From the Cody run. It's not yet due for the about-twice-a-year wash.

I pointed the exhaust port on the saw towards the mini-van. It's dirt/dust/sawdust colored for a reason. I wash it less than the XX.

Very nice. I looked at that one, but wanted portability. Plus the other one was at a special price.

Hugo was here for the new toilet installation last night (no photos...yet...). Walls and tile are going in today on one side. Hopefully the countertop will be ready to pick up tomorrow, and my plumbing and sink came in Friday. Woodwork is nearly done, but has to be finished. I might have a fully functional bathroom this week.

The saw that Carlos bought is the best portable table saw you can buy. One of the requirements for all of the power tools I buy is that they be transportable to my job sites. I've had several table saws over the last fifteen years and the Dewalt is the best by far, it's the only small table saw that acts like a big one. It'll rip wide pieces and the fence has a unique flip over bar that that acts as a table extender. By setting up a couple of portable roller stands I'm easily able to rip full sheets of plywood. When you're done everything packs up nice and small and one person can load it up. I've had mixed results with Dewalt tools and generally don't like them very much, but the table saw is a real winner.

BTW, nice saw Todd. I haven't had a chance to use one like that yet. I'm thinking about buying a little bit bigger saw in addition to my smaller one and I've given that exact saw more than just a passing glance.