CBR1100XX.org Forum

checking chain slack

BarryG

My chain is somewhat loose when I check it while it's on the sidestand. But if I sit on the bike and reach down to check it, slack is less. Had my neigbor sit on my bike tonight and I checked the slack and it was actually perfect.

So is accurate chain slack to go off of.....when rider weight is taken into account?

My chain is somewhat loose when I check it while it's on the sidestand. But if I sit on the bike and reach down to check it, slack is less. Had my neigbor sit on my bike tonight and I checked the slack and it was actually perfect.

So is accurate chain slack to go off of.....when rider weight is taken into account?

I always checked it with me sitting on the bike and checking the play with an old ski pole I had. It's not very accurate as far as a measurement but more of a feel. When I was in NC this year I was talking with Mike Wheeler about it and he said he always checked chain slackness with the rider on the bike. He said he preferred a little loose to just right. I've never really heard anybody else talk about it but I think Wheeler is a good mechanic, so I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. It's been good so far. I also do a good cleaning every 1k miles or so, kerosene, toothbrush and clean till the rag is not showing any grease.

If I recall correctly, you are suppose to check with someone on the bike. You are also suppose to check several areas on the chain by rolling the bike forward (or back). As you are suppose to adjust the slack at the tightest point on the chain.

Is your chain rubbing the center stand ??? No... then don't worry about it...

if Yes... give it 3 turns on each side and your good to go....

Personaly I think most people over tighten there Chains as it it's... but that's just a wild ass guess.

if Yes... give it 3 turns on each side and your good to go....

Personaly I think most people over tighten there Chains as it it's... but that's just a wild ass guess.

It'll never rub the centerstand since I took mine off :icon_biggrin:

I prefer it a little loose than too tight. Yeah I roll the bike and check the slack while I'm sitting on it or someone else is and it's just not that loose when rider weight is involved. I don't usually measure the slack, I can tell pretty much by looking at it.

Why not just follow the Honda manual and set it while on the side stand?

Stop with your nonsense.

Yeah, really. :icon_razz:

It shouldn't be loose at all with the suspension compressed. That's what the manufacturer's specs on chain slack are for, to compensate for the slack taken up as the suspension compresses- that's why you check it with the suspension topped out or close to it. If you're adjusting the chain with the rider aboard all you're doing is complicating the process unnecessarily. Odds are you're getting wrong, anyway, as you're just guessing instead of going with the process and specifications supplied by the people who designed the bike. If you're adjusting the chain to the factory recommended slack with a rider aboard, you're way too loose.

So, if your slack was "perfect" (~1.25", IIRC) with a rider mounted, then your chain is way too loose- I think that was your original question.

Why not just follow the Honda manual and set it while on the side stand?

Stop with your nonsense.

Yeah, really. :icon_razz:

It shouldn't be loose at all with the suspension compressed. That's what the manufacturer's specs on chain slack are for, to compensate for the slack taken up as the suspension compresses- that's why you check it with the suspension topped out or close to it. If you're adjusting the chain with the rider aboard all you're doing is complicating the process unnecessarily. Odds are you're getting wrong, anyway, as you're just guessing instead of going with the process and specifications supplied by the people who designed the bike. If you're adjusting the chain to the factory recommended slack with a rider aboard, you're way too loose.

So, if your slack was "perfect" (~1.25", IIRC) with a rider mounted, then your chain is way too loose- I think that was your original question.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Tim:

Is your assumption then that the sag for the bike is set up properly? When I think of the suspsension changes when I sit on my bike, VS when someone larger (NotlightastaByrdy, for example) sits on theirs, I wonder if there's any concern unless they get considerably more compression than might be expected by the underweight engineers in Japan.

The design specified slack would include travel from full rebound to full compression and account for both extremes. Loading weight makes no difference...it can only travel so far.

What he said ^^^^

The only time you get outside of that is if you've changed the geometry back there. Say, by shimming the rear shock or something. Then you're no longer within the parameters that the stock specs were designed for. But weight will have nothing to do with it.

:icon_clap: +1! If the chain barely misses the center-stand (when you have the rubber stopper installed) , Good to go! WHILE SITTING ON IT. . . damn wangs!

So with the 6mm shim I'm guessing slack should be slightly more than spec since the swinger is further down without a load???

Correct. I ran mine at the loose end of spec with the 6mm shim. Adjust it, then get a large friend (Jeff comes to mind) to bounce on it a couple times. The chain should tighten as the suspension compresses, but not bind.