CBR1100XX.org Forum

What has failed on your XX?

silverbird1100

'03 with 12,000 miles and NOTHING needed to be done. Why did I get that extended warranty?

Replaced the battery with a larger one just recently - old one still checks out OK. The fans killed the battery once in traffic.

Replaced the brakes with EBC for a little better bite. Changed to synthetic fluid.

Two front tires and 3 rears - but the tires that are on there now only have 1,000 miles. I tossed the stockers at 3000 miles.

K&N air filer but I think I'm going to change back to stock from what I've read.

The original chain shows signs on neglect and may it replace over the winter and sprockets.

52,000 miles and I bought it new 7 years ago last Saturday.

Nothing has failed!

I had serious stone dings in the fork tubes that caused the seals to leak until I installed fork gaiters but I don't consider that to be a failure

52,000 miles and I bought it new 7 years ago last Saturday.

Nothing has failed!

I had serious stone dings in the fork tubes that caused the seals to leak until I installed fork gaiters but I don't consider that to be a failure

Nothing! That's incredible. Do yourself a favor and have a look at your stator. I'll bet it 's looking pretty crispy. They also take 2 weeks to get!

Well, I'm presuming that centerstands are designed to only cope with the weight of the bike without gear on it. I've used it no matter what.

I got a flat on my trip and tried to put it up on the centerstand to check the rear tire. I pushed down with my foot, pulled up on the grab handle, felt the CREAK, and that was it. I bent the leverage arm. Without it, I can't engage the stand. Otherwise, I got two flats in one week and dropped the bike once in a parking lot, but I survived the trip with no other major incidents.

Well, I'm presuming that centerstands are designed to only cope with the weight of the bike without gear on it. I've used it no matter what.

I got a flat on my trip and tried to put it up on the centerstand to check the rear tire. I pushed down with my foot, pulled up on the grab handle, felt the CREAK, and that was it. I bent the leverage arm. Without it, I can't engage the stand. Otherwise, I got two flats in one week and dropped the bike once in a parking lot, but I survived the trip with no other major incidents.

Wow you got bad luck. I use my centre stand all the time when I am fully loaded(3 Givi with at least 100lbs between them). I think your issue maybe trying to use the stand to lift the bike. I just put the stand down with my foot and pull the bike onto the stand.

That's what I thought I was doing. I have to press down on the lever while lifting the bike, but I suppose it's just not meant to take that kind of stress.

If you tried to put the bike on the center-stand with it "in gear", you will bend or break the leverage arm. Don't ask me how I know this. :icon_whistle:

• 1 month later...

besides the usual wear items: a few CCTs, a few batteries, headlight bulbs, and now at 64K a stator (I run LOTS of electronic crap on the poor ol' girl!).

Replaced the battery and swapped to an R1 R/R just in case they were adversely affected by the stator's demise, will keep the stock R/R just in case (seemed to test out fine!)

I'm wondering about the wheel bearing failure. My guess is that there is an alignment problem within the wheel. Does the axle slide thru the wheel perfectly? Bearings just don't fail unless they are stressed, or not lubed. I do remember that Bmw had a problem with bearings in the late 70's when they changed brands. Try a different make. Take the bearings to a good auto parts place and ask for replacements, probably much less money.

85k zero problems

oops - that's the Bmw

99 with 45k also zero problems

But I'm thinking I'll have a look at the stator this winter.

Just lost my tool strap rubber band on my 98 at ~75 000km :icon_wall:

Also just replaced the EK chain and AFAM sprockets after ~46 000km with a limited amount of maintenance :icon_whistle:

Lots of tires, a few chains, and the regular consumables...

1999 50K miles

Had to replace:

rear axle stripped on first tire change

front fork seals, springs and oil

steering head bearing

wire loom fix

rubber tool thingy went several times

a few rivets (push pins)

2 caliper bolts stripped out

Reg/rectifer went this past week (ordering parts this week)

Stator going to be replace just for good measure along with R/R (Electrosport seems to have good price on both)

Will need to replace soon:

CCT (I think- sounds a little rough upon startup and then goes away)

rear shock (looking for a great deal still)

Hmm.. that sounds more like the clutch to me, in my experience XX's always sound rough in neutral when you start them; particularly cold. CCT will be continuous, especially apparent at idle.

Lots of tires, a few chains, and the regular consumables...

1999 50K miles

Had to replace:

rear axle stripped on first tire change

front fork seals, springs and oil

steering head bearing

wire loom fix

rubber tool thingy went several times

a few rivets (push pins)

2 caliper bolts stripped out

Reg/rectifer went this past week (ordering parts this week)

Stator going to be replace just for good measure along with R/R (Electrosport seems to have good price on both)

Will need to replace soon:

rear shock (looking for a great deal still)

Somebody needs to buy a torque wrench. :icon_razz: