CBR1100XX.org Forum

Electrical Problems Shut Me Down

RXX

My bird died on me today, on a Friday night, thousands of miles from home.

I hope somebody here can point me in the right direction.

I had been on the bike pretty constantly for about 8 hours. I stopped at an intersection to fiddle with my GPS, and I cut the bike off. using the engine kill switch. When I flipped it back on, and pressed the starter button, all the lights went out.

That is pretty much the sequence of events.

I got out my multimeter and checked the battery...12 V plus or minus a little. The 30 amp fuse is not blown. I do not see any blown fuses.

When I check the voltage to the battery with the switch on, it doesn't read in volts; instead it starts reading in Ohms. Same thing when I test the "hot" side of the main fuse.... Does this mean anything?

I had the bike towed to a hotel and I am going to take the rear cowl off and try to find out what is going on. I am in Sonoma CA

My cell is (865) 567 5469

I will get up and at it at about 7 PDT

Thanks for the help

Take the kill switch apart and make sure there are no loose connections inside. Check resistance inside with the switch toggling between run and stop.

$.02

bad cell in battery.

Called

Stan, I love you

:icon_iloveyou: :icon_iloveyou:

He gave the short answer, actually.

He did call and tell me it was the battery, but I told him, no, the auto store checked the battery.

"Did they load test it?"

Well, hell. I asked them to check the battery. I figure that was enough.

"Go ask them, they probably didn'. It's the battery"

They did NOT laod test it. Once they did, the tester read out "unusable battery"

It WAS the battery. They had an exact replacement in stock, but it was dry ship, so I bought a little 1A charger to charge it for 12 hours. I also bought a can of dielectric grease to put everything back together.

I am on my first 6 pack of Harp. I am in Cloverdale, CA with nothing to do. Maybe I'll get drunk and clean my bike.

Oh, what probably screwed up the battery is the 5600 miles I have put on it in the last 9 days, we have been on some WONDERFUL roads, but many parts of them are very rough.

post-1606-1214082258.jpg

post-1606-1214082328.jpg

RXX----I don't know what year your XX is----BUT-----on my '97 if you turn it off with the kill switch all the lights stay ON until you actually turn the key off. With the stock battery it doesn't take it long to run down enough that it won't start. Something to keep in mind.

Just fortunate you were where you could get a new battery and not stuck at on some hot ass desert.

Hope you have a wonderful rest of a trip and many happy trails kel

So far (60K miles) I've found that any "problems" (minor, of course!) I've had with the Bird are either caused by my stupidity or any non-Honda parts on the bike... :icon_biggrin:

• 12 years later...
On 6/21/2008 at 4:05 PM, RXX said:

He gave the short answer, actually.

"Go ask them, they probably didn'. It's the battery"

It WAS the battery.

Maybe I'll get drunk and clean my bike.

...nice. Closure. Then drinks.