CBR1100XX.org Forum

Removing Clearcoat scratches

CALCXX

I can't pass this one up. As a professional in the Car Wash Industry, I can tell you the dull finish as said in the thread is a scuffing of the clear coat from the abrasive rubbing of the leather. It can be polished out fairly easily with most any good quality polish.

Honda spray polish is technically Not a polish but instead a cleaner and protective wax. A true polish has some sort of abrasive material in it, either chemical or physical.

When Polishing any surface you have to spend alittle time rubbing the surface vigorously, just like shinning up aluminum. Waxing is done for protection and is only Applied and then lightly buffed.

Fine scratches must be rubbed out. I would never recommend using an abrasive polish below 3000 grit on the clear coat of a bike, since you will be thinning out the clear coat and will not leave enough when done to maintain any protection in the future.

Scratch's can only be removed by lowering the surrounding clear coat to the depth on the scratch. If scratch's have any depth to them, then another layer of clear coat would need to be applied. That is why nice looking show cars are wet sanded first then polished to a brilliant shine and then waxed to maintain it.

There many good quality polish's on the market and for the best results, the use of micro-fiber with a good polish will do the best job in the least amount of time.

Just ask DBLXX Dave about the ability of micro-fiber to clean and shine a clear coated finish without ever leaving any scratch's or even lint behind.

Did I say "behind" ? oops I won't go there !!!