CBR1100XX.org Forum

Drywalling unattached garage

Jon E D

Just had a new garage built and I'd like to clean up the inside with some drywall and a little pegboard. The garage won't be heated, if I just put the drywall up will in be just fine? Or should I still insulate the walls a bit. Will summer heat and humidity and severe cold in the winter eventually make it ugly? Just going to tape and sand, probably won't paint.

Thanks.

If you have no plans to insolate or paint why drywall? The price of drywall is nuts here.

I'd just use thin plywood/chip board as it's likely cheaper than drywall. Not to mention it's easier to hang, tougher and easier to nail things to for storage.

If you have no plans to insolate or paint why drywall? The price of drywall is nuts here.

I'd just use thin plywood/chip board as it's likely cheaper than drywall. Not to mention it's easier to hang, tougher and easier to nail things to for storage.

I can get 4'x8'x5/8" sheets for less than $6 each not a bad price for my wallet. I also prefer the look of the taped drywall to plywood being on the walls. Plus I'd like to having something paintable in case the wife gets an urge to paint. We are saving one wall that will be half drywall and one half pegboard for hanging stuff. The only thing that will be attached to the wall with drywall will be a couple cabinets, which of course will be on the studs.

I'm considering insulation if it would be needed to keep the drywall purty. I might also want it so I can work in the garage on chillier spring and autumn days.

Drywall is less than half the cost of plywood here (assuming equal thickness).

Keep it dry and you should be fine. Humidity shouldn't trash it unless you live in a rainforest. Give the bottom edges some clearance from the floor.

I'd insulate either way. Who knows what you might decide to do down the road- retrofitting insulation is a bitch once the drywall is up.

I insulated mine, very thankful for it. Winter is not so much, but the difference in the summer is amazing. When I was doing it, I could feel the difference in the heat on my face while hanging the insulation in the ceiling. I'm still shocked at how much cooler it is to work in there.

Thanks for the replies. Think i'm going to go ahead and insulate it now. Maybe get some of that diamond plate trim for the bottom sections to prevent accidents with the lawnmower and snowblower. Now to convince the wife...

I own a house renovation business that specializes in restorations,take it from me if you're going to insulate a unheated building make sure you install a 8ml plastic vapor barrier over the insulation.Other wise your drywall (or plywood) most likely will develop moisture problems from condensation.

What about OSB...? Then you can make a man-garage easier and install things all over the walls not always needing a stud.

OSB will work, and it's heavy duty. Drywall has better fire resistive qualities, especially if you paint and tape. Paint it the brightest white you can. Helps to brighten up a shop that normally has poor lighting. Spend the money and do the insulation.

What about OSB...? Then you can make a man-garage easier and install things all over the walls not always needing a stud.

My first thought too. OSB is cheap, and easy to work with. Rolls of insulation batting are also pretty cheap. Who knows you might eventually want to put in a window AC unit or space heater. It would be a heck of a lot easier to install insulation before the walls go up.

I'll agree with above too about fire resistant. I bought a house with the OSB already installed in the attached garage on all four walls, and the House Inspector noted it on the report as will not resist fire in-case-of. But I liked it better anyway, much more durable.

If you don't care about fire rating than go with 7/16 OSB, the stuff is dirt cheap and really easy to hang. If you want to meet code, then 1/2'' drywall is the right way to do it. Spend a few bucks on insulation and you won't be sad when winter comes. Throw a kerosene heater in there and the insulation will keep it nice and toasty.