CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hot Hot Hot, my xx is melting :S

hob

My '97 had overheating issues a year ago - replaced the water pump and all was well. I found that the impeller on the water pump was so corroded that a couple of blades had vanished and the ones that were still there pumped poorly anyway.

How often did you change the coolant (if you had the bike for some years) and if so, what brand did you use?

I got the bike in Feb 2005 - it had plain water in it. I refilled with 100% Castrol brand antifreeze (which was the best available at the time). The water that came out WHEN I flushed and refilled was absolutely clear. Never did find the bits that broke off...

My '97 had overheating issues a year ago - replaced the water pump and all was well. I found that the impeller on the water pump was so corroded that a couple of blades had vanished and the ones that were still there pumped poorly anyway.

How often did you change the coolant (if you had the bike for some years) and if so, what brand did you use?

I got the bike in Feb 2005 - it had plain water in it. I refilled with 100% Castrol brand antifreeze (which was the best available at the time). The water that came out WHEN I flushed and refilled was absolutely clear. Never did find the bits that broke off...

If it was plain water, that was one problem (dielectric corrosion... the water will be clean because it deposited its minerals on the metal surfaces of your engine.

Coolant may have been another problem... A lot of coolant has "silicates" in it to clean (unless it's the factory Honda coolant, or DexCool) your engine of the gunk that the water and coolant leave behind. Aluminum and the kind of rubber gaskets and such in an engine built for silicate-free coolant (like the Blackbird is) is bad on gaskets, impellers, and radiators...

Mike

• 9 years later...
1 hour ago, goncallf said:

And what about the problem of the fan getting weaker?

Are you experiencing this? What year is you bird? Any modifications?

My stator went outin extremely heavy traffic crossing The Soo a couple years ago. I've been kicking around the idea of a second auxilliary fan mounted next the the OEM one.

There's a thread here somewhere. 

4 hours ago, goncallf said:

And what about the problem of the fan getting weaker?

Ride faster, make wind.  But really, is yours noticeably weaker than it should be?

I can't say for sure because I ride so sporadically, but they seem to help with the felt heat.  The fact that it has left my mind is an indication, but I haven't ridden with them in hot weather and slow traffic in a long time.

I checked the header temp at idle and I believe it was around 400F stock and 300F coated.  I'm pretty sure I posted the numbers shortly after testing so the real numbers should be here somewhere.

• Upvote 1