CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bye Bye High Temps

mekeal23

In FLA I've had many problems with high temps on my BB.....But now I've solved my problem. I shifted the radiator 1.5 in forward to get some clearance from the header pipe.(had to do a little welding) Moved the OEM fan to the left side of the radiator. Installed a secondary fan(smaller fan) on the right ride using the bracket from another OEM fan.Made a littte mod the fairing behind the wheel. Installed switch and wire it directly to key switch.....presto. Tonite it's 82 degrees with no breeze and I let the temp climb to 220 and it pulled in down to 208 in 3 min. Have to give an update when I give her a field test...I'll update some pics when I get my camera from the wifey.

• Upvote 1

In FLA I've had many problems with high temps on my BB.....But now I've solved my problem. I shifted the radiator 1.5 in forward to get some clearance from the header pipe.(had to do a little welding) Moved the OEM fan to the left side of the radiator. Installed a secondary fan(smaller fan) on the right ride using the bracket from another OEM fan.Made a littte mod the fairing behind the wheel. Installed switch and wire it directly to key switch.....presto. Tonite it's 82 degrees with no breeze and I let the temp climb to 220 and it pulled in down to 208 in 3 min. Have to give an update when I give her a field test...I'll update some pics when I get my camera from the wifey.

Only high temps and not getting "Hot" ? If that was the problem why go through all the work

Only high temps and not getting "Hot" ? If that was the problem why go through all the work

Excuse me if I'm being a little quaint....running HOT as hell....max temp 242 degrees...

I never had any overheating problems (overheating is defined as the coolant boiling), but it does get warm in traffic when it's over 90... I just spent the $30 to switch to the Evans NGP+, that boils at 375 degrees at 0-psi. The engine doesn't care, a good, modern oil doesn't care, etc...

Mike

I never had any overheating problems (overheating is defined as the coolant boiling), but it does get warm in traffic when it's over 90... I just spent the $30 to switch to the Evans NGP+, that boils at 375 degrees at 0-psi. The engine doesn't care, a good, modern oil doesn't care, etc...

Mike

+1 to that...

I run Evans NPG+... thanks to ... Byrdman

its all downhill from here for you.

the next thing that will go are the little plastic thingy's that hold the bottom of the side fairings together that are underneath the chin spoiler, then one day the little rubber widget that hides the 12 mil hole in the triple tree nut will disappear. then the dreaded bucket of bolts noise from somewhere on the right side of the engine.......... the tool kit holding down device (rubber band) will break...................... I would suggest you get rid of it............... POS Blackbird...............

I'll give ya 50 bucks and save you the worries.

:icon_whistle:

• 2 years later...
2 years later and my BB still runs fine

Finally got the camera off of the wifey? :icon_biggrin:

Good job on the fan set up.

+1 2 years, thats a very slow download speed you have there :icon_whistle::icon_lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Mike

+1 to that...

I am thinking of changing to Evans NPG+ - anyone have problems finding a cap that will seal the radiator and make it a closed system? I read that this is something that you must do with the Evans NPG+. Is this what you did?

Kazi

Mike

+1 to that...

I am thinking of changing to Evans NPG+ - anyone have problems finding a cap that will seal the radiator and make it a closed system? I read that this is something that you must do with the Evans NPG+. Is this what you di

Kazi

Nope. I used the stocker. Have had the stuff in for 2+ years now, no problem. Byrd & Bartonmd use it also, maybe they will chime in.

Makes you feel all special and stuff.

Mike

+1 to that...

I am thinking of changing to Evans NPG+ - anyone have problems finding a cap that will seal the radiator and make it a closed system? I read that this is something that you must do with the Evans NPG+. Is this what you did?

Kazi

Thanks for sending me the PM...

I see that you also found a wealth of info here... that's good.

Good luck with the Swap this weekend.

• 2 months later...

I took your advice and also installed a second cooling fan on my 2002 XX and it works fine.

I've never experienced boiling over but the temps would get to 225+ and even though there didn't seem to be any damage to the engine I didn't like looking at the gage reading that high.

Thanks for the info and pic's you sent.

post-24907-1296080960.jpgpost-24907-1296081014.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I took your advice and also installed a second cooling fan on my 2002 XX and it works fine.

I've never experienced boiling over but the temps would get to 225+ and even though there didn't seem to be any damage to the engine I didn't like looking at the gage reading that high.

Thanks for the info and pic's you sent.

post-24907-1296080960.jpgpost-24907-1296081014.jpg

You know its funny I have a carbed version and i dont experience any overheating in southern california. granted it rarely gets too hot down here but when it does... no issues. I have only went from coolant to engine ice. I also did change out my oil cooler lines to braided stainless lines. I cant remember if I put a muzzy aluminum fan blade on her or not...

I'm thinkin of adding a second fan now... She's boiled over on me about 5 times since new and I haver been able to fix it. Engine has run rougher after each boilover too. Guess I got the rare lemon :icon_confused:

You might want to check your radiator cap, thermostat and the lines to the recovery tank.

I also installed a larger aluminun radiator before adding the second cooling fan

post-24907-1306169189.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm thinkin of adding a second fan now... She's boiled over on me about 5 times since new and I haver been able to fix it. Engine has run rougher after each boilover too. Guess I got the rare lemon :icon_confused:

You might want to check your radiator cap, thermostat and the lines to the recovery tank.

I also installed a larger aluminun radiator before adding the second cooling fan

I have checked/replaced these items...

What radiator did you use? Is it from a Honda?

I have checked/replaced these items...

What radiator did you use? Is it from a Honda?

The radiator is aluminum and from Ron Davis Racing Radiator in the Phoenix area.

The cost was just about the same as the stock Honda and it has a larger capacity.

However, I had to do some cutting on the plastic located just behind the front wheel and add an extension to the bottom red mount. Not too bad if you have a schrol or band saw.

The Ph # for Ron Davis is 623-877-5000.

The model they sent me was #10-1030 however that was for a 97 Bird and mine is a 2002. There is a difference between the two. You can mail them your rad and they'll match it.

Brent

post-24907-1306346289.jpg

Mike

Since I have boiled over idling in 85 degree heat and spilled coolant in the past, also with the fan running continually I have drained my battery on more than one ocassion as well. I too have to recently update my Stator after 80K and am now running NGP+ and it seems to run a little cooler than before. Now I just need a good volt meter to know whether the stator is oputting out proper current and keeping it from killing the battery .