CBR1100XX.org Forum

HOW TO: Double your underseat Storage

Hobicus

Ever since I saw DeaconXX's under seat modification, I knew I wanted to do something similar.

I just modified the tail section to add an additional 2.5 quarts of storage, by cutting the plastic and adding a piece of tupperware. Note that I used a GOOD, thick piece, not some cheap thin stuff.

Here's what it looks like to start. Note that I've already removed the tail cowl and the two bolts that hold the rear fender. That causes it to drop down a bit. I've also pulled everything out of the way. Yes, you can still see the ScotOiler stuff, too.

gallery_76_644_181652.jpg

So here's what it looks like with the hole cut for the tupperware. This took quite a bit of time. I used a dremmel for most of the work, and doubled up the cutting disks for the main trimming, then went with a nice stone wheel to fine tune the hole. You will probably want to remove the tool section first, as it's huge and gets in the way.

gallery_76_644_179703.jpg

Here's a couple test fit shots without Epoxy:

gallery_76_644_160295.jpg

gallery_76_644_116867.jpg

Here's how it looks after I glued it in with Epoxy. I used the Plasticweld stuff, which smells like acrylic when it's all done. Very hard stuff, you only have about 4 to 5 minutes to work before it's starts setting up.

I did this in a 2 step process. First I mixed up a batch of epoxy, put it around the edges, and pressed the container through the opening. This forced some epoxy through, and you can see that on the underside of the container. I then added what was left of the epoxy to the edges of the container and waited for it to set up. Then I mixed up a 2nd batch and went back and filled any gaps with it, kind of like you would with spackle.

Note that you can see that the Epoxy isn't perfect, smooth, or great looking, and you can see where it got UNDER the tail as well. I figure this is going to get covered in dirt pretty quick, and you won't be able to see through the container for long anyways. I tried to clean it up as best as I could, but making it look pretty was less important than making sure it didn't move. :

gallery_76_644_94001.jpg

After that, it was time to reassemble the rear fender bolts and reattach the tail cowl.

Here's an idea of how much storage you get with this mod:

gallery_76_644_23210.jpg

gallery_76_644_185147.jpg

Here's my tool kit, plug kit, cable lock for my Stich, and sunblock all fitting inside the container

gallery_76_644_166049.jpg

This took me about 2 hours, from start to finish. Total cost, about $10.

Any possibility of interference with the tire on a hard bump? It sure adds a

lot of storage area, especially with your Smuggler. Thanks for the tip! :icon_clap:

Nice.

Could you take some pics from the other side?

Can you see it from behind the bike if the fender is trimmed off?

I don't think you can, there's enough room for me to put a Mototeck undertail in and still have this container there. Or at least, there is, from what I remember when we put Redd's Mototeck in.

By other side, I'm assuming you mean from underneath, so you can see how much space is there:

gallery_76_644_136897.jpg

Here's how much space is underneath it, on the side stand. I sat on it and bounced, and had my wife check, and there seems to be plenty of room. I'll monitor it over the next few weeks (I have some great roads for testing purposes :icon_rolleyes: ) and make sure it doesn't hit. It only drops about 1.5- 2 inches below the fender.

gallery_76_644_68116.jpg

Hope you used good tupperware! :icon_nana: I imagine cheap crap gets brittle in the winter. I hear that running over padlocks will cupp tires? Don't hide your weed in the bottom if you're going to use clear, that's all I'm saying!

Great idea... I have to do something like that but the space will be taken by electronics..

I realize it's in a hard place to see but I'd still put something in it, or paint it so you can't see inside it from under the bike.

Edit... what power blocks do you have in there?

Well, that is cool, fo sure!

I really missed the space the quad has from the mod like that I did, and didn't think it could be done on the bike, but looks like it can.

New project!!!

Rich,

I hate you.. I had this idea about a month ago, and was all amped up to try it out...

I got the idea from Mac KiwiXX. he bent up some aluminum and made a little coffin.

Any reason you didn't spray paint the tupperware first, or rhino line it... or kept the top able to fit...?

Then you could store your lunch and a snack pack under the seat on your long trips...

Well you know with your hand there it doesn't tell us how much space you have .. Small hands next to big bikes makes it hard to judge real scale..

missing you guys more every day.. Buying a new bird July 10th... find me one...

See you soon...

ps . I like your astroglide tube in there.. very inviting

Nice work Rich!!

I have wondering how I could increase storage space under there too.

I know I realy appreciate when you do these projects and present the info here on the forum. I'm sure many others do too.

Thanks. :icon_biggrin:

That is a lot of clearance!!!

A cetain woman I know says that according to the way I measure that must be at least 8 inches. :icon_redface:

gallery_76_644_68116.jpg

Leave it to Rich to come up with ways to pack more stuff in an ass.

:icon_iloveyou:

:icon_clap: :icon_clap:

Dude, that's sooo cool!

I like that almost as good as your jiggling sig file.

Nice job!

Cool mod... I wonder if something like that would work on the viffer.

When I had my ZRX, you could mod the underseat big enough to hold a gallon of milk if you had pod air filters on the carbs.

Great Mod Rich,. I've looked in honda's tupperware section on there site, but did'nt find the part number for the 2.5 quart. Could you,would you,Post the number. My m&m's are calling.

Great Mod Rich,. I've looked in honda's tupperware section on there site, but did'nt find the part number for the 2.5 quart. Could you,would you,Post the number. My m&m's are calling.

From Honda that same tupperware would cost around $149.99

• 3 years later...
How is that mod holding up? :icon_dance:

It fell out last year at PRIXXT 11 and we had to make a new pan out of aluminum. :icon_biggrin:

I helped him fill the gaping hole in his rear!!!! :icon_evilgrin:

• 9 years later...

Disgusting thread ressurection. I've been thinking about this, I need somewhat bigger space under the seat. What are my options (aside from the elegant Tupperware solution :D ) - can the undertray plastic be welded? ABS I supposed, can I make into a specific shape, or am I destined for flat pieces and welding. Also, whats some minimal clearance from tyre to the undertray, wouldn't want to have those two touch :D