CBR1100XX.org Forum

Made a backrest for the wife and kids

spicholy

Not sure if this should be in here or the garage. So I chose here.

I haven't felt comfortable with passengers having to hold on to me so much and the wife had asked for some sort of back support. So being unable to afford a Corbin GF&L, I fabbed up my own. Used some medium/heavy foam on a 3/4 " piece of plywood. Covered in marine vinyl. Mounted with a 12" angle bracket from Lowes. Now they should feel a bit more secure.

post-2748-1208721688.jpg

post-2748-1208721716.jpg

post-2748-1208721737.jpg

post-2748-1208721782.jpg

Not sure if this should be in here or the garage. So I chose here.

I haven't felt comfortable with passengers having to hold on to me so much and the wife had asked for some sort of back support. So being unable to afford a Corbin GF&L, I fabbed up my own. Used some medium/heavy foam on a 3/4 " piece of plywood. Covered in marine vinyl. Mounted with a 12" angle bracket from Lowes. Now they should feel a bit more secure.

post-2748-1208721688.jpg

post-2748-1208721716.jpg

post-2748-1208721737.jpg

post-2748-1208721782.jpg

Looks like you had it custom made...great job!

:icon_thumbsup:

Actually one of the guys over east on OzBB made up one himself a little while ago using a car headrest :icon_surprised:

Made a backrest today using a Honda car headrest,some 6mm flat steel, tube protection rubber, hardened nuts and bolts and a welder. Haven't taken the wife on the back yet for a test ride but seems OK.

backrest_041.jpg,

backrest_035.jpg,

backrest_033.jpg,

It is fitted down through a 15mm x 40mm cutting in the the tail cowl.This can be blocked up later using a blank rubber grommet if l decide to take the headrest off.I basically welded a 6mm plate across the tail end of the frame, welded an extension to the head rest and bolted the 2 parts together using 3 hardened bolts and nuts for ease of removal.

backrest_048.jpg,

backrest_043.jpg,

After going for a ride yesterday,had to adjust the backrest to tilt back more. Also changed the covering of the headrest stem by using a push bike inner tube and a large rubber grommet. See my photobucket for latest pictures.

Now playing around with an ideal for lowering the rear pegs. Will make a template out of timber. Then if it works get a set made out of metal or aluminium.

Not my kettle of fish but he reckons his missus likes it :icon_surprised:

Ya, not exactly areodynamic. I did not want to cut the body work like the BlueBird did. This is fairly easy to install,take off. Two bolts and it is off.

Ya, not exactly aerodynamic. I did not want to cut the body work like the BlueBird did. This is fairly easy to install,take off. Two bolts and it is off.

Yeah I am just going to get a backrest that goes onto my TB as that stays on all the time and it would give the missus something to rest against :icon_think:

Have you tested it yet?

I am curious if it s easier to do wheelies now. I would imagine that the wind hitting that would lift the front right off the ground.

Yep, we tested it. All three of my passengers really liked it. Gave them a much more secure feeling. Plus I am not getting my nuts crushed against the tank as much. Even without a passenger, I don't notice it at all on the highway.

I am always jealous of people that can fabricate cool shit like that.

Nice work...really nice. Looks comfy also.

Thanks Dave! Of course the girl at the fabric store aske if I was "being sent in". I said nope, doing my own thing. Just cut my vinyl woman!