CBR1100XX.org Forum

Idle speed?

bmcdonau

1100 RPM +/- 100 RPM.

I run mine around 1300 to 1400. It keeps the clutch basket a little quieter.

Oh and there's a small black knob sticking out just above the front sprocket cover. Turn that to adjust idle.

1100 RPM +/- 100 RPM.

Oh and there's a small black knob sticking out just above the front sprocket cover. Turn that to adjust idle.

Okay, thanks. I guess I'll leave it there then. It just makes a pretty good clunk when you put it into first at that speed.

1100 RPM +/- 100 RPM.

Okay, thanks. I guess I'll leave it there then. It just makes a pretty good clunk when you put it into first at that speed.

Try this: When you pull in the clutch, wait a couple of seconds before putting it in first. That lets the transmission gears slow down or stop so it won't "clunk" . Or at least not clunk as loud. Lowering the idle RPM also helps.

His is a 98 like mine.

we don't have the rubber damping in the trans like 99 and newer does.

Set the idle at 1100 rpm, you'll still get a kerchunk but not as bad.

BTW nice stable of bikes. wish I had an ST1300 also. Almost traded for one last fall, can't have both bikes.

Rubber Damping???????????????????

I've done everything short of splitting the cases and the only rubber I ever saw was the shaft seals and maybe a cushion on the balancer shafts.

His is a 98 like mine.

we don't have the rubber damping in the trans like 99 and newer does.

Set the idle at 1100 rpm, you'll still get a kerchunk but not as bad.

BTW nice stable of bikes. wish I had an ST1300 also. Almost traded for one last fall, can't have both bikes.

Thanks, here's a shot four of them. The ST is an awesome one up touring bike, but the wife says a wing is in our future.

HPIM0679.jpg

I've done everything short of splitting the cases and the only rubber I ever saw was the shaft seals and maybe a cushion on the balancer shafts.

Well I have split everthing including the ballenceshafts, and they have the only rubber in the engine other the the drive cushins in the rear wheel, that I can thnk of now.

Well I have split everthing including the ballenceshafts, and they have the only rubber in the engine other the the drive cushins in the rear wheel, that I can thnk of now.

I'm just going by what I've read in the 99 test in Rider where they quote the press kit with the changes from 97 and 98.

Rider April 1999 "To minimize the annoying clunk that occurs when the bike is stationary and the transmission is shifted from neutral to first gear Honda engineers developed a hard-rubber damping system that quickly slows the spining mainshaft when the clutch is pulled in."

BTW I still think an ST1300 is in my near/distant?? future. But that will mean no XX.

I'm having more issues with my neck, wrist, and arms riding my XX. :icon_cry:

Try this: When you pull in the clutch, wait a couple of seconds before putting it in first. That lets the transmission gears slow down or stop so it won't "clunk" . Or at least not clunk as loud. Lowering the idle RPM also helps.

+1

Anybody with lower idle speeds noticing shorter plug life??

I like to keep mine idling smack at 1000rpm. Sometimes when I begin my ride while half-choked, it clunks when hitting first because of the 1500 high idle. +1 on holding the clutch for a moment before hitting first. In cars, we call it spin-down. It only makes sense that an extra moment w/the clutch in allows the gears to stop spinning. Kinda like when you try to hit reverse in a 5spd, but refuse to wait. there is an online manual here in the forums for downloading, if you aint got a manual yet. :icon_surprised:

I'm having more issues with my neck, wrist, and arms riding my XX.

Rest easy, I had the same thing happen to me when I first got the XX. I had come from an 83' CB1100F and the angles took some getting used to, but it did go away after I had put about 1K miles on the bike. Yours should too. The wrist thing may have to do with your seating position.