CBR1100XX.org Forum

Can a head gasket be reused?

R1000

A friend needs to pull the head on the BB (bored to 1195 cc) and asked if the head gasket can be reused. I guess it could even though I wouldn't do it myself. Any one having experience in this?

If that is Cometic I would not reuse it.

Reused/pulled leafs from factory gaskets with no problems,but I`ve had nothing but the PITA with Cometic.

I'd replace it if for nothing else but piece of mind.

I think you'd have to look at the gasket before you knew if you could reuse it you never know. I'd get one ahead of time so I wouldn't be down if I needed it.

If that is Cometic I would not reuse it.

Reused/pulled leafs from factory gaskets with no problems,but I`ve had nothing but the PITA with Cometic.

Thanks, yes it is a Cometic gasket and it will be replaced. They are about half the price of a stock gasket here, and the only one available for big bore BB.

With gaskets, my chief rule is that the harder it is to get to, the smarter it is to replace it even if there is no damage or wear to it.

I'd consider reusing a gasket if it was in good shape and easy to get to should I be wrong.

With gaskets, my chief rule is that the harder it is to get to, the smarter it is to replace it even if there is no damage or wear to it.

I'd consider reusing a gasket if it was in good shape and easy to get to should I be wrong.

The best thing is just to replace the gasket when the head is pulled to be sure it is OK. An extra replacement that might be needed, put a lot of stress on sensitive threads.