CBR1100XX.org Forum

Single-sided swingarm,,,

TexasDawg

Started working on installing a single-sided swingarm on my XX; while trying to install wood flooring in three bedrooms and a hall and covering OT at work. Spent a week or so ordering parts and scoping out the direction of the build. Finally got enough parts together and some time and started the build. It's a project for me, so it will take a while to get all done. Having an ST1300 to ride doesn't speed things up and I tend to want things to come out right or I won't do them,,, so with all that said here's some pics so far. I will update with more pics next week when the chain and sprockets get here and I figure exactly how the swingarm linkage is gonna' look like,,,

post-2908-1207273355.jpg

post-2908-1207273400.jpg

post-2908-1207273419.jpg

post-2908-1207273444.jpg

post-2908-1207273466.jpg

post-2908-1207273493.jpg

Great project, glad somebody is doing it. Very tempting.

I got questions!!

Vfr i guess but what year?

Does it look like the frame space is close enough or are you going to have to make different spacers?

Is the swingarm longer pivot to center of axle?

Keep us posted. That floor will wait.

Its gotta be early model vfr like 91-94, same that is a bolt on for the 900RR from what I can tell. Only issue is that on the 900RR its like 3/4 1 inch longer of an arm but does that make it too short for the XX?? I would be curious of the measurements to see how much modification really needs to take place.

The VFR swingarms run '90-'93 and '94-'97 that were a canidate. The early ones are wider than the '94-'97 by 10mm or so and I still had to make a 5mm spacer for the '90-'93 swingarm to fit. I did not want to make too wide of a spacer due to wanting as much of the swingarm supported by bearings. Our XX's are heavier than a VFR and was worried about proper support.

The '94-'97 swingarms have swingarm linkages like our XX's, but I wanted to make a linkage anyway on the mill. I am going to use 7075 aluminum for the linkage. The VFR swingarm is right at two inches longer than an XX, which requires a 112 lenght chain instead of the 110 chain on XX's. I bought a new DID chain and 16 tooth front sprocket and a 45 tooth rear sprocket for quicker excelleration at a loss of some top end. I've only gone 165 a couple of times and that's probaley enough (wheeeeee).

The '90-'93 whells are the cool looking eight-spokers, but they go for gold on ebay and the '94-'97 wheels are five-spokes and only five inches wide, while the early eight-spokes are 5.5 inches wide and so are the '98 and on wheels. The '98 on wheels have to be ground-out alittle for the rotor bolts to clear, but you can't hardly tell it when done right. And I found a new late model wheel that had already been chromed to go along with the chrome wheel already on my XX, so I went that way.

As far as the flooring waiting, I just lucky I'm still alive,,,,,,,, I'm trying to get it done and tested so I can ride it on the OzarXX trip.

post-2908-1207326269.jpg

post-2908-1207326300.jpg

post-2908-1207326321.jpg

Our XX's are heavier than a VFR and was worried about proper support.

Not to mention the rather large difference in horsepower!

The VFR swingarm is right at two inches longer than an XX

Looks like there will be no more wheelies for you!

I'm trying to get it done and tested so I can ride it on the OzarXX trip.

You don't have time to be here posting pics baby.........Get back to work and get it done so I can see it OzarXX!

The VFR swingarm is right at two inches longer than an XX, which requires a 112 lenght chain instead of the 110 chain on XX's. I bought a new DID chain and 16 tooth front sprocket and a 45 tooth rear sprocket for quicker excelleration at a loss of some top end. I've only gone 165 a couple of times and that's probaley enough (wheeeeee).

Are you measuring from center axle bolt (center of ssa hub) to center swingarm pivot bolt to compare length differences???

To the question of swingarm lenght, the XX measures 524mm(20&5/8") center of pivot shaft to axle center point and the VFR measures 565mm's. The VFR swingarm uses an eccentric system to tighten the chain. This is 1&5/8" approximately. The VFR uses a 112 lenght chain and the XX uses a 110 lenght chain. The chain is two inches longer. See the highlighted area in the following pic:post-2908-1207355619.jpg

A great site for numbers is guukan.org/garage/swingarms.html and some numbers from there are:

90-93 VFR (shock linkage mount is two lobes on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is a 'fork')

Length: 565

Pivot width: 242 (+3.5 thrust collar)

Pivot diameter: 20

Eccentric outside diameter: 105

Eccentric width: 70 (+3 crenelated 'edge')

Caliper carrier diameter: 75

Caliper carrier width: 14

Brake rotor diameter: 255

Brake rotor mount diameter: 110

Sprocket mount diameter: 175

Wheel drive diameter: 100

94-97 VFR (shock linkage mount is one lobe on bottom of swingarm)(shock end is an 'eye')

Length: 560

Pivot width: 227 (+3.5 thrust collar)

Pivot diameter: 20

Eccentric outside diameter: 105

Eccentric width: 70 (+3 crenelated 'edge')

Caliper carrier diameter: 75

Caliper carrier width: 14

Brake rotor diameter: 255

Brake rotor mount diameter: 110

Sprocket mount diameter: 175

Wheel drive diameter: 100

I hope it is okay to post this info here from there. Also used the VFR site www.vfrdiscussion.com as a valuable source of info and I owe them all a ton. There will be a public thank you there when I am done. And alot of net surfing for info.

Great link, thanks. bookmarked!

Ok I am gonna be there a while. And I will send you a bill!

It's this kinda info that cost money

<H2 align=center>Front Brakes </H2>I wanted better brakes. VFR brakes have always seemed weak, especially against RC30 or Guzzi brakes. So I got SP-1 forks which had the bolt-on caliper hangers, and then chose Gixxer 1000 6-piston Tokiko calipers. Surprise! The mounting holes line up with the stock Honda caliper brackets.

Sweet!

I've been tinkering with a similar project on my '97 for quite awhile, but haven't had time to work on it much lately.

I went with a '95 VFR swingarm since the linkage on the '90-'92 was so much different than the XX's. The biggest obstacle of the whole project is the fact that the XX shock mounts dead center on the frame and the VFR is offset to the left. This makes for some funky linkage no matter which Viffer swingarm you use.

I'm also doing a few other mods along with the swingarm so it's gotten a little overwhelming.

567169ab.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it's completed. Keep at it. :icon_thumbsup:

Sweet!

I've been tinkering with a similar project on my '97 for quite awhile, but haven't had time to work on it much lately.

I went with a '95 VFR swingarm since the linkage on the '90-'92 was so much different than the XX's. The biggest obstacle of the whole project is the fact that the XX shock mounts dead center on the frame and the VFR is offset to the left. This makes for some funky linkage no matter which Viffer swingarm you use.

I'm also doing a few other mods along with the swingarm so it's gotten a little overwhelming.

567169ab.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it's completed. Keep at it. :icon_thumbsup:

Oh, you think your going to get off that easy, do you? I don't think so.... You think you can just come in here and plop a single.

I want a whole thread with details... :icon_twisted:

An what...how..with the rear seat :icon_biggrin: ,tryed seaching for a thread with no luck :icon_rolleyes: Very impressed with the look and finish Jason.Was thinking of small single seat for the tight twistys an change back for touring when needed..so im very interested in your convertion

Sweet!

567169ab.jpg

Both of y'all - these bikes are pretty damned sweet. :icon_cool:

So Jason, looks like you had to meld some kind of fairing/bellypan together, and what subframe/rearend you using there?

Sweet!

567169ab.jpg

is that a fireblade tail?

• Upvote 1

An what...how..with the rear seat :icon_biggrin: ,tried searching for a thread with no luck :icon_rolleyes: Very impressed with the look and finish Jason.Was thinking of small single seat for the tight twisty's an change back for touring when needed..so I'm very interested in your conversion

Welcome from all the Fucktards, Bollocks :icon_biggrin:

An what...how..with the rear seat :icon_biggrin: ,tried searching for a thread with no luck :icon_rolleyes: Very impressed with the look and finish Jason.Was thinking of small single seat for the tight twisty's an change back for touring when needed..so I'm very interested in your conversion

Welcome from all the Fucktards, Bollocks :icon_biggrin:

yeah welcome

got any dogs .. bollocks?

Sweet!

567169ab.jpg

Oh, you think your going to get off that easy, do you? I don't think so.... You think you can just come in here and plop a single.

+1, tell us more tell us more!!!

I have always loved the looks of the single sided swingam on the VFRs. This type of set-up on the XX with high-mounts would allow the wheel to be exposed and look fantastic!! '

We definitely need more info and pics on this masterpiece!

567169ab.jpg

Here is my VFR with the 2-Bros left hand exhaust.

93VFR.jpg

Sweet!

567169ab.jpg

+1, tell us more tell us more!!!

Yeah tell us more! what bike and year is the front fender off? Gives it more of the literbike look.