CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mounting new front tire

TeXTrain99

I've got the bike on the stand and have started to pull the front wheel. I decided to confront he manual and it says to remove the fender and the right caliper. Is that really absolutley neccesary?

I'm running out of time here.....help.

Thanks

I've got the bike on the stand and have started to pull the front wheel. I decided to confront he manual and it says to remove the fender and the right caliper. Is that really absolutley neccesary?

I'm running out of time here.....help.

Thanks

Fender, not absolutely necessary if you jack up the front enough for the tire to clear it. It's four bolts, take it off, much easier.

Caliper, again not absolutely required but it makes the job easier. Two bolts. I usually remove both calipers just to make it that much easier.

The caliper can be a daytime decision tomorrow while attempting a remount. The goal in tonights fading light is to get the wheel off the bike.

Thanks very much for the quick response.

Geez Red, you didn't have to call me a lazy fuck. But I do appreciate the advice especially about the fender because I don't have a way to jack the bike high enough to get the wheel out, wouldn't of realized that until I pulled the axel and cussed alot and probably thrown a wrench.

Thanks!

I usually just pull the lower bolts out of the fender and rotate the front up some to clear the tire.

I always pull the right calliper.

My guess is because they have a proper bike jack stand so they can get lots of room to move the tire out with.

I always have to take both calipers off and I think the fender too.

It's not all that much extra work (thankfully).

I always pull the front fender and scratch my wheel up good trying to get it past the calipers. :icon_confused:

Then I fight to remove the right caliper, without a front wheel, while on the center stand, so I won't do more damage putting it back together. :icon_redface:

I always pull the front fender and scratch my wheel up good trying to get it past the calipers. :icon_confused:

Then I fight to remove the right caliper, without a front wheel, while on the center stand, so I won't do more damage putting it back together. :icon_redface:

Yup, scatched the wheel on the left side because I didn't remove the left caliper. SOB! Should be easier putting it all back together this afternoon.

I now see the benefit of having a good lift stand. I'm currently using the 2x4 under the centerstand and strap from the from the triple tree to the ceiling method. Effective but a little sketchy.

I find that removing the fender and the right caliper is all that's needed to get the wheel

off. You can finagle the wheel out of and back into the left caliper fairly easily if the right

caliper is off. I put the front up on the PitBull stand, which makes for a very stable working

environment.

Geez Red, you didn't have to call me a lazy fuck. But I do appreciate the advice especially about the fender because I don't have a way to jack the bike high enough to get the wheel out, wouldn't of realized that until I pulled the axel and cussed alot and probably thrown a wrench.

Thanks!

You would be amazed how much work you can get done on your bike when you are not posting for short cuts. :icon_biggrin:

Funny how much time shortcuts add to a project. I know this sounds preachy (forgive me) but I gave up on shortcuts a long time ago. The fastest way is almost always the right way.

Me thinks that it is impossible to jack up the front high enough with rear wheel in place,without,yea fender stays in place,just gotta remember correct order.

Right caliper only,never removed left one except one time in Ely Nevada. :icon_evilgrin:

FSM is for mechanically retarded people.Lotts of stupid stuff there.I love when fresh from school young,bright engineers who never got their hands dirty attempt to write Owners Manual and/or Factory Service Manual. :icon_rolleyes:

Yup, scatched the wheel on the left side because I didn't remove the left caliper. SOB! Should be easier putting it all back together this afternoon.

I now see the benefit of having a good lift stand. I'm currently using the 2x4 under the centerstand and strap from the from the triple tree to the ceiling method. Effective but a little sketchy.

I have two d rings mounted to the floor near the rear tire ( 1 on each side of the bike), I put the bike on the center stand and use two ratchet straps from undertail frame down to the d rings and tighten them down. this pulls the front end into the air, remove fender and caliper ( takes about 3 - 4 mins. ). wheel falls off. :icon_evilgrin: There are no scratches to rim and no need for a lift.

When I replaced the forks, springs and headstem bearings recently I strapped mine from the angle iron rafters in the shed while on the CS, 2 ratchet straps either side on the frame about where the lower cowl finish and 2 old MX tie down (non ratchet pull type) hooked together around the headstem :icon_surprised:

Worked OK but I am definitely getting a bike lift as today I was mucking around taking off my peg lowering brackets to put a grub screw in them to take out some of the slop to the pegs and made up a tapered shim for under the SS to pivot it back towards the exhaust and I was fucked after it from crawling around on the floor :icon_nono: :icon_wall:

Some pics - 1) XX strapped to ceiling, 2) Exhaust to SS tip ~100mm (stock), 3) Exhaust to SS tip ~85mm (with 6mm tapered shim), 4) Exhaust to SS tip ~73mm (with 6mm tapered shim + washer), 5) SS Shim 1, 6) SS Shim 2

post-2722-1207571035.jpg

post-2722-1207571578.jpg

post-2722-1207571703.jpg

post-2722-1207571824.jpg

post-2722-1207571923.jpg

post-2722-1207572601.jpg