CBR1100XX.org Forum

Warped Rotor

Opus X

I believe one of my front rotors is warped. The front brakes were squealing and when I replaced the pads I found one side completely worn and the other side about 50% gone. Now I hear the pads "skipping" on the rotor when I am coasting. The aftermarket rotors look pricey, I haven't priced OEM yet.

I wondered if the aftermarket wave rotors are that much better and is there a better price than Dennis Kirk?

I just replaced a fairly new rear tire that couldn't be patched, put new pads on and spark plugs ($17 bucks apiece!) and now I need rotors. :icon_frown:

Thoughts anyone?

Buehler?

what year is your bird? If its 99 n up go with EBC rotors! They are cheap and excellent!

Yeah one of the guys on the local board needed new rotors for his 99 and the cheapest I could find (aftermarket or OEM) were the EBC Pro light :icon_surprised:

Unless you feel a pulsing when braking your rotors aren't warped.

It's normal for the pads to wear unevenly from the LBS. I rotate my pads to stop this.

Also check that the caliper moves freely side to side either without pads installed or without a rotor between.

I'm still on my origional rotors at 83k miles.

Unless you feel a pulsing when braking your rotors aren't warped.

It's normal for the pads to wear unevenly from the LBS. I rotate my pads to stop this.

Also check that the caliper moves freely side to side either without pads installed or without a rotor between.

I'm still on my origional rotors at 83k miles.

+1

My first BB wore out one pad before the other on the right front caliper because the slides were sticking. I cleaned and re-greased the slides. Problem solved. My second BB has 30K on it and 7 or 8 track days with no signs of any warping (except for the rider). :icon_biggrin:

Most typically is a higher degree of wear on the left hand caliper. You also need to adjust the caliper as per the manual.

What adjustment would that be?

Most typically is a higher degree of wear on the left hand caliper. You also need to adjust the caliper as per the manual.

It was the right side. I don't feel any pulsing, but more a vibration. Sounds like I need to clean and grease before I spend any money.

Thanks for the advice

Tim

It was the right side. I don't feel any pulsing, but more a vibration. Sounds like I need to clean and grease before I spend any money.

Thanks for the advice

Tim

Typically rotors won't warp unless they see extreme heat (at the track, stuck slides, or too thin to dissapate. If they are warped, look for blueing in the metal, and a little bit of pulse when gently applying the front brake at speed. Never hurts to use brake grease whenever you have the wheels off. I re-grease my slides quite often, it makes me feel better. You can also lift the front wheel and spin it, while it rotates, put a pencil near the rotor and watch to visibly see if it is warped. If you use a reference point, a good eye can see as little as .020" of run-out.

Look at EBC rotors. I use Bikebandit, but it's expensive no matter where you go. My left front rotor was straight, but the lbs actuating caused the rotor pins to get slack. You could hear a tick when applying. I bought a used one and wish I had just bought 2 new. Next year baby, I'm going wavy. . .bling bling.

Wave rotors are very expensive, and if you have to ask, you don't need them. . .except for the bling value. The wavy rotors shed heat faster. My 10cents.