CBR1100XX.org Forum

Looking for a starter bike...

I'm tired of riding the 80 and I've got some cash stashed back. Looking for a Ninja 500, SV650 or something similar. A 250 doesn't feel right, but I'll consider it to start with. I'm in upstate NY, but I'll drive within a few hours if need be.

(Yes Hobi, I'm freezing my a$$ off... :icon_biggrin::icon_rolleyes: )

SV650 is good, but look into the Ninja 650R -- 2 cylinder for the midrange torque that'll make it easier to pull away from a stop sign without trouble matching RPMs to clutch release (a 4 cyl. 600 or 650 is easier to stall). It's a newly designed bike and engine in '06, and while the Ninja 500 is a good choice, the 650R is a LOT more capable bike than that older design. Starting to see some good deals on a few used ones. The '07 in Blue is a really sharp looking bike.

Angee,

A friend of mine has a 2003 SV650S with 27 miles on it, yes only 27 miles. He has way too many toys and never got around to playing with it. As you would expect it's like new. He asked me to sell it for him, I think he wants around $4500 for it. I know it's a little high for an '03 SV650S, but it's $2500 less than a new one. The bike is with me in Crozet VA (22932).

Angee,

A friend of mine has a 2003 SV650S with 27 miles on it, yes only 27 miles. He has way too many toys and never got around to playing with it. As you would expect it's like new. He asked me to sell it for him, I think he wants around $4500 for it. I know it's a little high for an '03 SV650S, but it's $2500 less than a new one. The bike is with me in Crozet VA (22932).

And you are not buying it, why? :icon_think:

SV650 is good, but look into the Ninja 650R -- 2 cylinder for the midrange torque that'll make it easier to pull away from a stop sign without trouble matching RPMs to clutch release (a 4 cyl. 600 or 650 is easier to stall).

Don't know if you're implying the SV650 is a 4cyl.......b/c the SV650 is also a 2-cylinder.

The 650R will offer good wind protection AND good ergonomics compared to the SV650 which you get one (N version) or the other (S version). I had the SV650N with a flyscreen on it. GREAT bike....to learn on.....and then some.

SV650 is good, but look into the Ninja 650R -- 2 cylinder for the midrange torque that'll make it easier to pull away from a stop sign without trouble matching RPMs to clutch release (a 4 cyl. 600 or 650 is easier to stall).

Don't know if you're implying the SV650 is a 4cyl.......b/c the SV650 is also a 2-cylinder.

The 650R will offer good wind protection AND good ergonomics compared to the SV650 which you get one (N version) or the other (S version). I had the SV650N with a flyscreen on it. GREAT bike....to learn on.....and then some.

Not implying anything about the SV650 except recommending it -- would have to be pretty ignorant about bikes to assume an SV is a 4 cyl., especially as obvious as their V twin configuration is. OTOH, everyone makes a 4 cyl. 600, 636, etc, and those make their power up high, typically with too little torque in the mid range to make it easy for a newer motorcyclist to feather the clutch from a standing start without occasionally stalling it. Especially for a woman who might have trouble flat footing it, that doesn't make for a tension free learning experience at controlled intersections. Better to have a 2 cyl like the SV 650 or Ninja 650R, IMO.

My GF, who is 5'6" with long legs, prefers the ergos of the Ninja 650R to the SV, is in love with the '07 Blue on both of them, and looks good on the Ninja too -- looks like it fits her perfectly. But she'll have to buy it herself. :icon_think:

The ZR-7S is a 750 from Kawasaki but feels very light and is esy to ride.

It gets 48 mpg and is a "standard" bike for insurance so is cheap to keep also.

Motorcyclist called it a bargin beginner that you can keep.

Both my sons learned on it. I turned the idle up a little so it would not stall too easy.

I take it when my wife comes with me because the passenger ergo's are better.

Thanks for the info guys.

Been there done that with checking the dealers and craigslist....my credit is shot to hell thanks to my ex, so I can't finance. Only got about 2k to spend, give or take 5 bills. Don't want a new one, since I'll probly drop it at least once during the learning process. Besides that, I don't want another note...the Suby is enough. I just want a cheapie older bike that's been well loved (Hobi, watch your mind!). If it's all scratched up that's fine, so long as the body work can be fairly easily done in the garage (yeah, I'm doing it). As long as there's no frame or other major damage, it's all good.

Yes Hobi, I'm freezing my a$$ off... icon_biggrin.gif icon_rolleyes.gif )

That's a shame, because it's one nice feature of yours. If Dutch isn't keeping it warm enough for you, let me know. :icon_biggrin:

I just want a cheapie older guy that's been well loved (Hobi, watch your mind!).

I'm your huckleberry!!! :icon_evilgrin:

Thanks for the info guys.

Been there done that with checking the dealers and craigslist....my credit is shot to hell thanks to my ex, so I can't finance. Only got about 2k to spend, give or take 5 bills.

If $2K is your limit.. I think you can rule out an SV650....unless it's beat up most likely but you get lucky.

Otherwise if your starting out....a Ninja 500 sounds like your best bet but an older one will still be hard to find for $2K.

With that said...you CAN find a Nighthawk 750 in good shape (early to mid 90s) for $2K. It's got plenty of power but might be a bit too big heavy for you. In that case there's the Nighhawk 250 which can also be found used in your price range.

Good luck!

2k-ish... I've found a few things that just need cosmetic work, but they're too far away. I might just wait a bit. Maybe I'll find that "dream deal" if I'm patient. I don't want a new one or one that's pristine...I'll probably drop it anyway, so if it's got a few dings already I won't feel so bad about it.

2k-ish... I've found a few things that just need cosmetic work, but they're too far away. I might just wait a bit. Maybe I'll find that "dream deal" if I'm patient. I don't want a new one or one that's pristine...I'll probably drop it anyway, so if it's got a few dings already I won't feel so bad about it.

Angee, I saw there's a CBR600 f2 for sale on craigslist / Rochester today. 16.5 miles for $2,300. I'm working about a half hour from there, I'd be more than happy to take a look for you this week. PM me 're interested. Jeff