CBR1100XX.org Forum

SHINKO TIRES

ZOOMZOOM

Has anybody tried these tires, I found a set @ ironpony.com for $150 a set. I'm thinking about triyng them, for the money i dont think i could go wrong.

I found a site that has some feed back on these tires. Sounds like they are worth a try according to some FJ riders... http://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/2/...html?1109355179

Has anybody tried these tires, I found a set @ ironpony.com for $150 a set. I'm thinking about triyng them, for the money i dont think i could go wrong.

I found a site that has some feed back on these tires. Sounds like they are worth a try according to some FJ riders... http://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/2/...html?1109355179

I 'm 290 lbs and ride a little agressively.

i've had 3 sets. Got really good mileage, went well in the wet and held up in the twisties up to about a 1/2- 1/4 inch chicken strip. and riding 2 up wife the wife they never let go. got caught in a torrential rainstorm coming home from sexxt 06 for about 400 miles never had a problem and we were reaching a pretty good speed as the day wore on. I had 1 set that developed a crack down the center of the rear tire, looked like the undertail was rubbing on it. I still have a set on my spare rims. I've never had a set wear all the way out I keep getting flats and I change out the tire then................

I changed to pilot roads just to see what all the fuss is about.

overall I was very happy with them and will probably go back to them, they are the cheapest I could find.

I never understand it when people buy these tires.

How can you risk your life by saving an average of $ 50,-- up to $ 100,-- a year?

Yes, they are not really bad, but just not up to standard if you compair them to the bigger and better brands out there.

When Europes biggest motorcyclemagazine did a comparison test between cheap tires and the bigger brands, they concluded a few things.

In general grip was less, rideability was less, and wet weather braking was on average just dangerous with these cheap brands.

Here in Europe the price difference is a lot more then in the USA, but still they concluded it was not worth the money saved.

There is no chance to use the full capability of the bird with budget tyres and they don’t help a lot if you are trapped in a bad situation. On the other hand, I guess they will work quite well if one is a bit careful and watch the speed etc. There are cheap premium tyres though, like the BT021's. BT021 may not last as long as originally claimed, but they handles very well and have the neccesary grip even for light track use.

I ran one Shiko 009 rear tire it only went 3475 miles till bald.

The handling in corners was never right from new, wrong profile. granted I ran it with another brand front but I've never had the handling go this bad with other combos I've run.

I wont buy another one.

I'm currently in love with pilot powers, they're magical in the corners and still get decent (sport tire) mileage. More on the rear than the Shinko.

How can you risk your life by saving an average of $ 50,-- up to $ 100,-- a year?

Yes, they are not really bad, but just not up to standard if you compair them to the bigger and better brands out there.

When Europes biggest motorcyclemagazine did a comparison test between cheap tires and the bigger brands, they concluded a few things.

In general grip was less, rideability was less, and wet weather braking was on average just dangerous with these cheap brands.

Here in Europe the price difference is a lot more then in the USA, but still they concluded it was not worth the money saved.

okay thats your opinion and I respect it but please don't start telling me I am risking my life by buying a cheaper tire I am risking my life everytime I get on the bird I know this and am comfortable with that. While I read magazines and take in what they say I much prefer to base my decions on my or someone I actually know and have ridden with's opinion.

Have you actually used the tires ?

I have and as I said it is my opinion.

There is no chance to use the full capability of the bird with budget tyres and they don’t help a lot if you are trapped in a bad situation. On the other hand, I guess they will work quite well if one is a bit careful and watch the speed etc. There are cheap premium tyres though, like the BT021's. BT021 may not last as long as originally claimed, but they handles very well and have the neccesary grip even for light track use.

I have no problem that I am not going to use the 'full potential or capability ' of the bird as I ride it only the road. Indeed I think and certainly try to ride within my capabilities which I don't think will go anywhere close to pushing the bird.As I have previously stated it is /was my opinion

cheers

mack

okay thats your opinion and I respect it but please don't start telling me I am risking my life by buying a cheaper tire I am risking my life everytime I get on the bird I know this and am comfortable with that. While I read magazines and take in what they say I much prefer to base my decions on my or someone I actually know and have ridden with's opinion.

I have no problem that I am not going to use the 'full potential or capability ' of the bird as I ride it only the road. Indeed I think and certainly try to ride within my capabilities which I don't think will go anywhere close to pushing the bird.As I have previously stated it is /was my opinion

cheers

mack

Geez, you really ARE opinionated... :icon_biggrin: :icon_nana: :icon_pray:

Geez, you really ARE opinionated... :icon_biggrin: :icon_nana: :icon_pray:

fuck you.......................

you get your camel driving licesne yet ?

I run Continental Contiforce's which would be classified as a "cheap" tire. I get incredible mileage out of them, even with trips to the dragstrip, they grip well within my riding range, and they stick very well in both wet and cold conditions. I can do stoppies on a cold tire. I can do wheelies in the rain. Now I don't do that regularly, but it is possible.

I can't comment on ride quality as I didn't buy a sportbike to ride good. There's only so much ride quality you can get out of a ~60" wheelbase; these are not Lincoln Towncars. I do know that they ride better than the factory Dunlops did. Since I bought my first set of Conti's, I have not had anything else on the bike.

I've never run the Shinko's but the drag racers say they offer almost as good straight line traction as the Mickey Thompson shoot-out tire with a lot longer wear time. For street duty, I would stick with what ever it is you like.

For me "QUALIFIERS RULE" street or track. (when new)

Yes, I've tried the Pilot Powers. Good traction, poor feedback.

Guys thanks for the info and the link. I didn't mean to start a pissing contest, but it was amusing. I currently run dunlops. the mileage sucks I get about 5000 out of the rear and about 7000 out the front. I've tried bridgestone and have went down with them they just dont warm up quick enough for me. its not so much the money issue, but if I can get the same mileage and proformance out of a cheaper brand and save a couple hundred it just makes sense.

thanks for the input y'all

Jamie

Well I put on a set of 005 Shinko's last year ( 005's are the sport/touring version) and they saved me ~$70 a set from the previous PPf & PRr combo but the rear only lasted ~6500km ( PR avg ~10000km).

The front Shinko is basically stuffed now after ~14000km :icon_surprised: I now have a PR2 on the rear and will replace the front with a PP when I change :icon_biggrin:

The Shinko's were OK and the grip when cold in the dry was fine but they were a bit more "jittery" when cold and in the wet although that was when pushed a bit ( the PPf & PRr combo always felt planted), also the 005 front contour is "rounder" than the PP so the steering was a bit slower and doesn't tip in as quick :icon_surprised:

There are a few guys on OzBB that run the 003 Shinko's ( the softer ones they drag with) and reckon they are very good for the grip in wet and dry although the life is not as good as other tyres :icon_surprised: They are also able to get them ~$150 cheaper than PP's or PR's :icon_confused:

cheers

mack

To answer your question(s):

No I never tried Shinko's. They are not sold in Holland, but i did try lots of other tires on the Blackbird. I have my own shop selling tires, and I have most BB-riders here in Holland as my customers, since I am the former President of the Dutch Blackbird Owners Club. I change my tires every few months now, long befor they are worn, just to compair different tires when they are still OK.

I did try some of the cheaper tires like Heidenau, IRC, Maxxis. The difference is always there, sometimes a lot, sometimes less.

But there are also some tires from the bigger brands I really don't like (Continental, Avon). Even Bridgestone disappoints me all the time now.....

Why can't I tell you you are taking bigger risks if you use bad tires? Maybe you don't need the reminder, but lots of others do. I know a lot of experienced riders who do not know how much difference another tire can make. Some of them have not switched to another brand or type of tire in 10 years, so they still use old technology. The difference can be quite shocking! I can safely say that if you are using a tire now that was developed 4 years ago (no matter what brand) that there are much better options now. For (almost) every bike!

And yes, that is my opinion. And the fact that I am a professional in this subject (tiresales and mounting is over 80% of my income) does not automatically make me an expert, but the fact that most of my customers agree with me (afterwards) when I talked them into trying another tire makes me think that I do know a little bit more than most people.

I also read magazines, and I know which ones I can trust better than others.

Yes, you can have your opinions, that is fine. But did you try a modern and good set of tires? How do you compair them to your Shinko's?

If the level of grip that they offer in the wet is (let's say) 10% less, is that acceptable to you? And to others? And what if you really need that extra 10% at one point? Then ask yourself if it was worth the savings..... I am not saying this will ever happen, but it could.... (and does).

For instance: a couple of months ago a BB-rider comes to my shop. He asks my advice on tires, and I give it to him.

Now he has a friend who is a motorcycledealer, and he advises him the brand he sells (I'm not naming the brand or type). He also gives him the same price I can buy these for, so very cheap.

I told him this type of tire is not good in the rain, and the front has problems. His friend says it's not true......

He apologized to me, and bought the tires his friend offers, because it's his friend, and he doesn't want to disagree.

A month later he crashes the bikes in the rain. He was with several other BB's on other tires who had no problems whatsoever with grip, but suddenly he was sliding all over the place and crashed.

Result was some minor injuries, lots of damage to the bike, and the end of his friendship because his friend refuses to acknowledge that the tires could have been a contributing factor to the crash.

Now I am not saying only the tires are fault in this case, but my customer does not trust them anymore, and will be replacing them when the bike is fixed.

He also told me (and the other riders agreed) that they were not pushing, that he didn't do anything strange, but just lost the bike all of a sudden. Maybe a slippery patch, we'll never know. Could other tires have made a difference? Who knows..... I think he would have had a better chance, but if it's enough? I don't know.....

Saying you don't need good tires because you will never use them fully is for me the same as saying you don't need good brakes because you'll never use them fully..... And if you don't like that comparison, than try the same story with helmets or motorcycleclothing.

Yes, it's your choice, and you are free to do so. But I've made my choice, and I will warn everybody not to buy inferior tires whenever I can. Sorry if that offends you.....

well said.

personally I would never run a suspect tire, for what to save a few bucks? after personal protection gear, I consider tires the most importtant, think about it, a small 4 inch square contact patch - thats it, I would want the best I could get. But save that 40 bucks... and then spend 700 on a new exhaust - dope. :icon_whistle:

[

is for me the same as saying you don't need good brakes because you'll never use them fully..... And if you don't like that comparison, than try the same story with helmets or motorcycleclothing.

Yes, it's your choice, and you are free to do so. But I've made my choice, and I will warn everybody not to buy inferior tires whenever I can. Sorry if that offends you.....

helvet,

very well put. and I agree. You deal in tires and are able to express an educated opinion. No problem. It will take more than your opinion to offend me.

I did not nor would I ever say "Saying you don't need good tires because you will never use them fully"

what i did say was that I had used them and used them in different conditions and that as an example of the lack of letting go i was able to get the 'chicken strip' down to 1/4 - 1/2 " . I rode in the wet with them and they were fine.

I am currently using Pilot Roads, have used pilot powers, don't like avons or Bridgestones purely because they didn't 'feel' right. so yes I have a limited knowledge base.

question is then how do you know what products are good for you ? do you try them or stay with one kind. Or only use the higher priced items the logic being that expensive is better then cheaper ?

cheers cloggy

mack

hey way to slow thanxx for the info.

Well I use SHINKO Ultra Soft. I'm stretched 10" over, lowered 1"....I take Ocala Forest Road 8 in triple digits. I have NO chiken strips on the left and about 1/8" on the right...because the erion header scraps.

They stick just fine. They wear just fine. They have seen 182 mph...just fine. In fact, you pretty much have to have an R1, or a Gixxer 1000, or a 1000RR that isn't stretched to beat the bird to the other end of the road...WITH shinko u-soft.

They just don't look as "cool" as pilots or qualifiers...But most other riders only see the rear for a moment. LOL.

kwikXX.. Turn right at the north end at Meaders store, go 1/4 mile, turn left on SW 183rd Ave Rd and have a blast! Just remember to do a recon session 1st.

waytooslow...

Just stay off of Forest Road 8 !! It runs north from SR 42 to CR-314A in the Ocala National Forest. It is a somewhat fun road. Most fun at 3 am running Code 3 in an ambulance...the strobes mess with your depth perception and the horns and sirens spook the wildlife!

Well said Helvet, and I respect your opinion and agree with the comments about inferior tyres. But... I have found the Shinkos Ultra sticky(003) front and Raven(009) rear to be very good tyres for the Bird. They stick better in the wet than Powers and are stable. They are very cheap here because of a dealer selling them almost at cost. I think the price is a major factor in peoples opinion against them. I have heard some whispers and rumors (unsubstituted) that the 005s had some some structural problems at one stage.

However I changed to Pilot Road 2s because of the handling of the Shinkos. They steering is very slow (but also very stable) and I prefer a quicker steering bike. I am very happy with the PR2s and will stay with them but it is not a grip or safety decision.

I have tried:

Bridgestone BT57s (Disliked, but way better than Dunlop 205s)

Bridgestone 014s (Reasonable)

Dunlop 220s (Disliked)

Pilot powers (Loved but concerned that they were a little light for the Bird)

Shinkos (as commented on above)

Pilot Road 2s (Loved)

Never tried Metzlers on my bike. I also have never worn a tyre to the indicators. I don't believe that is worth the money savings. I have test ridden lots of friends bikes with various tyres also but with different suspension and ride heights etc, its difficult to get an accurate impression on other tyres.

I also have never worn a tyre to the indicators. I don't believe that is worth the money savings.

Yeah but once down to the wear bars and beyond its like a slick and much more grip in the dry :icon_evilgrin::icon_whistle: