CBR1100XX.org Forum

Workshop redesign and new tools

SwampNut

We've given up on the concept of the cars and motorcycles going on the garage. They're just in the way and always get covered with sawdust. So the bikes are going in the back with covers and the cars can stay outside where they belong.

shop0.jpg

shop1.jpg

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

shop4.jpg

I used Google Sketchup to draw the shop layout. I've also been using it to make basic drawings of wood and metal projects. It takes a few hours just to learn to use it, but then it becomes quite intuitive once you learn the complex issues of drawing in 3D. I also picked up a 3D Connexion perspective motion device, which lets you use your left hand to move in all directions while using the right hand to draw with the mouse. This device is impressive; it has something like 10 axes of motion and is VERY intuitive. In seconds I understood how to use it to move around. Using this prevents having to switch tools to move around, then switch back to draw. You can keep your drawing tools while moving, and even use a drawing tool at the same time as the motion too.

The shop setup is nearly done. Need to move a few things still, like a stack of wood flooring by the freezer, but the major work is done. The dust collector plumbing is all the way to the miter saw but I ran out of fittings there. Going to 5" hard plumbing feels like it doubled the air flow. I haven't build the miter station or workbench next to it yet. And I need to run a 230v line for the bandsaw, DP, and jointer.

Oh yeah, and in the past month we've been dumping old/low-end tools and buying new. So far it's been a Jet 18" bandsaw, Jet 6" jointer, Powermax 22/44" drum sander, and a Jet mini-lathe. Good tools kick ass. What a difference.

Looks good...

There's another thing I see I'm going to have to look at... Google Sketchup.

I see you've bought a lot of new Jet equipment, and you may have the same Bandsaw my Dad does.

Along that... from the drawings it looks like you have the Bandsaw and Tablesaw stuffed in corners... why ?

Those just seem like 2 of the most used tools in any shop... so haveing them possitioned in the middle-ish where you don't have to mve them would seem better.

And it's hard to tell, but do you have a Router table up against the same wall that the Bansaw is on ? If so... here's an Idea for you...

My dad mounted his Router underneith the extension on his Tablesaw... which it looks like you already have as well.

Looks good...

Along that... from the drawings it looks like you have the Bandsaw and Tablesaw stuffed in corners... why ?

Those just seem like 2 of the most used tools in any shop... so haveing them possitioned in the middle-ish where you don't have to mve them would seem better.

+1

How could you rip a sheet of plywood with the tablesaw in that position....

If Carlos's garage is a 2 car setup, there is not much of a way to get around positioning equipment on the walls. My garage is a 2 car of about 22 by 22 ft and had most of the same equipment.

I set up all the machines and tables on locking wheels and moved them around as needed.

I love good tools!

• 1 month later...

Looks like a good layout, have you looked into moveable bases for your saws? (or any tool that could benefit from more infeed/outfeed space) While opinions differ on the need to run a grounding wire through plastic dust collection tubing I consider it cheap insurance. I own a cabinet shop and have set up shops in three different locations over the last 15 years, I'd be happy to talk to you about your setup and offer any advice I could. Let me know and I'll PM you my cell#. Or if you wanted to swing by my shop next time your in Tucson I have loads of resources I could give you including discounts on future tool/material purchases.

Tim

How could you rip a sheet of plywood with the tablesaw in that position....

Just a guess, but open the garage door?

I cannot figure out which wall has the garage doors. I know it is not the wall with the standard size doors. Probably not the wall with the water heater on it. And next to the drill press it looks like there is something mounted on the wall. Not sure, but maybe the garage doors are behind the table saw.

• 1 month later...

Damn! If you drew everything in that layout with Google Sketchup you're a God. I'm not even close to being that accomplished.

BTW, I have tool envy.