CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pipe clearance.

01xxallen

I know this may have been discussed before, but.....I was standing behind the bird looking at the exhaust. The left cannister is closer to the tire than the right. It doesn't touch the swingarm but is close. How does this happen. It is a very low miles 2001. (2900).

I think:

1. Some fatty stood on the passenger peg to mount up before I bought it.

2. I, or the P.O. strapped it down too tight on a trailer and bent the support.

3. Honda designed it that way. (Nah).

4. It's an optical illusion. (Nah).

5. Crash damage. (The cannister doesn't even touch the ground in a tipover. don't ask how I know. Damn.)(Nah. everything around it is perfect.)

I'm leaning towards 1. Is the subframe weak there? What is the fix? Pull in the other direction? Spacer? Stop whining? Hookers?

I know this may have been discussed before, but.....I was standing behind the bird looking at the exhaust. The left cannister is closer to the tire than the right. It doesn't touch the swingarm but is close. How does this happen. It is a very low miles 2001. (2900).

I think:

1. Some fatty stood on the passenger peg to mount up before I bought it.

2. I, or the P.O. strapped it down too tight on a trailer and bent the support.

3. Honda designed it that way. (Nah).

4. It's an optical illusion. (Nah).

5. Crash damage. (The cannister doesn't even touch the ground in a tipover. don't ask how I know. Damn.)(Nah. everything around it is perfect.)

I'm leaning towards 1. Is the subframe weak there? What is the fix? Pull in the other direction? Spacer? Stop whining? Hookers?

with the oems I had no problem when I went to Two Bros then i got this same shit happening.

It got that close that it wore a groove in my swing arm, Have since replaced that . Saw the same shit with Bob da fishes bird..............plus the two bros like to move by themselves.

I tried all sorts of things and ended up using a different mid pipe to get them away from the swing arm.

I've owned three different XXs. On each one the inside left muffler almost touches the swingarm. The clearance is around 5-10mm. A left side tipover can push the muffler even closer.

Here's how I created more clearance.

Loosen the muffler inlet clamp, footpeg nut and mid-muffler attachment bolt. Rotate the muffler up and away (to the outside). Tighten down the inlet clamp first, the footpeg bolt second and mid-muffler bolt last. Also consider loosening the footpeg bracket itself.

Basically loosen everything, re-position the muffler and tighten everything, starting at the front and working to the rear.

I've owned three different XXs. On each one the inside left muffler almost touches the swingarm. The clearance is around 5-10mm. A left side tipover can push the can even closer.

Here's how I've created more clearance.

Loosen the muffler inlet clamp, footpeg clamp and mid-muffler attachment bolt. Rotate the muffler up and away (to the outside). Tighten down the inlet clamp first, the footpeg bolt second and mid-muffler bolt last. Also consider loosening the footpeg bracket itself.

Basically loosen everything, re-position the muffler and tighten everything, starting at the front and working to the rear.

Good thinking. I'm also going to measure from the left passenger peg to the tire, and then compare it to the right.

Or.......You could just buy a 4 into 1 system and never worry about it. Yes, I know they're expensive.

Almost forgot: "Friends don't let friends ride fatties."

I noticed the same thing on my last bird before switching to a 4-1. I can't remember any passenger causing the problem. I used the loosening - straightening method mentioned above with success....

Almost forgot: "Friends don't let friends ride fatties."

It doesn't mean I'm not a nice person. Oh, you mean the passenger!

Duh!

If you do want to ride a big'un, take the Harley.

I though that I read a post years ago, about passengers repeatedly getting onto the bike from the same side. It said that eventually the stress would bend the sub frame / peg hanger so the pipes looked off centre!

Yeah there are a few posts on the UK sites talking about pillions mounting by using the pillion pegs rather than the riders pegs and twisting the sub frame causing clearance issues :icon_confused:

I have the same problem with the yoshi's on my Illinois bike. The left can has worn a groove in the swingarm. So far no problem like that with my 2-bros on my Alaska bike, but the left can does look closer to the wheel than the right.

I have the same problem with the yoshi's on my Illinois bike. The left can has worn a groove in the swingarm. So far no problem like that with my 2-bros on my Alaska bike, but the left can does look closer to the wheel than the right.

Must have been an installation problem!

Who put those pipes on? :icon_redface:

Must have been an installation problem!

Who put those pipes on? :icon_redface:

I think that "groove" ended up there on the WIXX trip. I think the additional weight of a passenger and luggage had a bit to do with it. That thing was wallowing a bit with all that weight. Must of been that fatty I had on the back. :icon_biggrin:

I think that "groove" ended up there on the WIXX trip. I think the additional weight of a passenger and luggage had a bit to do with it. That thing was wallowing a bit with all that weight. Must of been that fatty I had on the back. :icon_biggrin:

Dude, titties are heavy!