CBR1100XX.org Forum

Electric Generator repair... anyone ?

EVLXX

I recently came into the posession of a Generac electric generator that's been sitting for a few years.

It's a 16 Kw Natural Gas unit.. and that's about all I know.

Since It's probably going to be sitting around here for a while... owners live out of town... I figured I might play with it and see if I could get it running for them.

But here's the rub.... I've never worked on a N.G. fired piston motor.

I was wondering if I can hook up a Propane bottle for an alternative fuel source, but I'm not sure if it would need to be a liquid propane bottle or a gas...

OH ya ... and there's no operator's manual either...

Does anybody here have any experience in this area ?

I recently came into the posession of a Generac electric generator that's been sitting for a few years.

It's a 16 Kw Natural Gas unit.. and that's about all I know.

Since It's probably going to be sitting around here for a while... owners live out of town... I figured I might play with it and see if I could get it running for them.

But here's the rub.... I've never worked on a N.G. fired piston motor.

I was wondering if I can hook up a Propane bottle for an alternative fuel source, but I'm not sure if it would need to be a liquid propane bottle or a gas...

OH ya ... and there's no operator's manual either...

Does anybody here have any experience in this area ?

Just send it to me. I'll fix it. :icon_biggrin:

You can probably google a manual.

Propane and NG have different properties, it may or may not run if you use propane in a NG engine, or it may run poorly.

If it has spark plugs remove them shoot some oil in the cylinders and hand crank it to make sure the engine isn't seized. If there's no spark plugs it may be a converted diesel in which case it should burn just about anything.

Just send it to me. I'll fix it. :icon_biggrin:

:icon_twisted:

You didn't tell me you used to be a mechanic .... !

Anyways, you want me to ship it to Oklahoma... so that you can fix it and then YOU can deliver it to its new owners, and take all the credit ?

Ha... I don't think so.

Besides, why would I want to do that ? That would be taking half of the fun out of it, for me anyway.

Well see'n as how I have the next week off, maybe I'll play with it...

That's if I can get it in the garage.... F'n thing weighs a ton... nearly killed me getting it outa the truck without a forklift. I'm guessing it weighs around 5-600 pounds.

or maybe I'll just let'r sit, till I can deliver it too them this coming spring.

Not sure I can do that either.... Anybody else got any bright ideas ?

• 3 weeks later...