CBR1100XX.org Forum

Alternator/stator cover options???

Mach VIII

So I'm mostly done with the de-ghettoing of my '99 BB. One of the few remaining ugly spots is the alternator/stator cover on the left side. It's got some rash on it and generally looks pretty shitty. Aside from simply spending $90 or so to just replace it, are there any other good options, such as some stick-on carbon fiber covers, cheaper aftermarket covers, or something of the like?

I've considered having it polished (I don't have the equip. or facilities to do that myself), but that would probably cost almost as much as buying a new one - and then the clutch cover (which also has a small amount of rash) wouldn't match. My fall-back plan is to just remove the cover(s), sand out the gouges & scratches, and paint it/them black, or possibly the stock color if anyone knows of a touch-up to match that weird greenish-gold color.

Of course if somebody has a nice one they want to sell cheap, I could be interested in that too. :icon_evilgrin:

Refinishing (assuming you do it yourself) or ebay are going to be your most economical options. Aftermarket carbon fiber ones that simply go over the stock cover cost as much or more than a new cover. Actual aftermarket replacements- again as much or more than OEM.

I'm in the same position with an F4i at the moment. I'll probably just drop the $$ on carbon fiber covers. Hides the damage, offers additional protection for future spills and looks good in the process.

Take a few minutes to get your fingers on either side of the damaged portion of the cover. Press back and forth and feel carefully for any flex in the cover. Its very thin, and even a small amount of damage can weaken it significantly. Its really hard to tell just by looking at it...I have one here that looks perfect, but has the smallest breech in it so that it always feels oily. Check carefully.

Looking for one here too...may likely go stock since they appear so infrequently on eBay. A decent aftermarket one would certainly be nice to find...

Looking for one here too...may likely go stock since they appear so infrequently on eBay. A decent aftermarket one would certainly be nice to find...

No such thing as an aftermarket one. New ones have been listed on eBay everyday for at least two years. i.e. 99-03 HONDA CBR1100XX OEM STATOR ALTERNATOR COVER

Call Hondaline Direct or University Motors. They probably the cheapest new ones around.

looking for a cheap fix

Then do nothing. If the rashed one isn't leaking, use it. Buy a new one when/if you prepare the bike to sell. Free street cred too. :icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Found this regarding the Engine Armor. Bad news its sold in the UK... so about double that price when converting the dollar to the pound. This was for all three pieces.

Manufactor:

Road Armor

CBR1100 XX (SUPERBLACKBIRD) available

Sold by:

Johnybike Link

Carbon Clutch Cover

Carbon Generator Cover

Carbon Pulse Cover

Fitting Kit & Instructions

£ 192.00

Found this regarding the Engine Armor. Bad news its sold in the UK... so about double that price when converting the dollar to the pound. This was for all three pieces.

Manufactor:

Road Armor

CBR1100 XX (SUPERBLACKBIRD) available

Sold by:

Johnybike Link

Carbon Clutch Cover

Carbon Generator Cover

Carbon Pulse Cover

Fitting Kit & Instructions

£ 192.00

NICE, but YIKES, that's too pricey for meeeeeee. Oh well.

Use JB WELD like body putty, allow it to dry completely, sand to desired look, prime and paint.

+1

I bought 2 gaskets, one for each side cover. I never liked the look of old bronze on the 99 anyway. Pulled the stator cover off when my electrical died. Filled, sanded, painted black, baked in the oven a bit...voila! Both sides are great, match the black of the bike and the engine well and no more ugly scratches to be seen. Pretty cheap fix, but now it looks better than the body. I need to paint again...

+1 on the JB weld! You would be amazed at what a little filler (of any kind) and a bunch of elbow grease w/sandpaper will do! No need for the pics man, strip the remaining paint, sand w/a 60-80 grit, and lay the jb to it. I would not reccomend quik-weld, had no luck w/it. Then sand until your arms are sore, go to your car for some "not so stashed smoke", and come back and sand more. Keep going up with the ammount of grit you are using, until you see a piece of grey glass! Then rough it up according to the paint can's directions. I have to redo mine too, I'll take pics, but it may be a few weeks. Best of luck!

• 7 years later...

Off hand, no.

However, it's a code you can pick up at any store, so you're out of luck unless you want to pay $$$ for one can of matching paint.

I went with a grey metallic and ultimately did both sides.