CBR1100XX.org Forum

Buying a house

John01XX

I am in the process of buying a Foreclosure that I hopefully will close on by the end of the year.

The house is in pretty good shape except that the whole kitchen has been removed !

the kitchen is 11' X 13" with appliances and counter along two of the walls

I am shopping cabinets and counter tops now. Have to decide if I can afford granite counters verses formica.

Anyone know anything about the wholesale club named "DirectBuy" for buying this stuff ?

I will be buying all the appliances including Micro-wave over Oven, Refrigerator, Dishwasher, and Disposal

Do a search on Direct Buy.....the stories you read will turn you off to it immediately.

I see the commercials all the time but I am SURE that I would never do business with them after the 20/20 report on them 2 months ago. But they always find the worst of the worst...

20/20 did a report on them....and people were either robbed completely of their money, go something thing totally different than they ordered or it took 6-12 months to get the product.

I believe it's a buyers CLUB that you place an order and then wait for the limit counter to hit with others buying the same item...then when they hit that limit to get "special pricing" they can put the order in.

The 20/20 story was scary.

Good luck with the house John....I know you have been paitently waiting for a while....can't wait for the house warming party !!!

Dave

http://www.infomercialscams.com/scams/direct_buy_scams

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/175/RipOff0175914.htm

http://discuss.50plus.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=13127

One of my golfing buddies is a member. $4000 for a three year membership and $100 bucks per year after that to maintain the membership.

He said he saved money on furnishings, electronics were the same prices as everywhere else.

$4000 would be a lot for me to have to save.

Manufactures have distributors to sell and support their products, they are not going to go around those distributors and give direct buy the same prices, terms, support, etc because all direct buy does is erode their profit margin.

Direct buy says it can save thousands, I don't think it can, if it could normal competition between the traditional channels would already be doing it because they want to make sales too.

John, sounds like you have already made a wise decision about NOT using the HomeDirect club but just to emphasize the point, my neighbor and I both did kitchen remodels around the same time. She joined the buyers club and I did not. Both renovations were equal in size and scope (kitchens were taken down to the bones and counters, appliances, cabinets, floors and fixtures were all replaced). I shopped around, found the best deals locally and did a lot of the work myself but even not including the savings on labor I still overall paid less (about $2900 less) than she did AFTER she paid the membership fee. So overall I think she paid about $7000 more with being a member of the club. The quality of the stuff I bought was equal.

Are you going to be living in the house or are you flipping it? The reason I ask is that Formica or any laminate counters are so much less than granite that you could start with Formica and then upgrade down the road to save some money at the start if you are just going to live there. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with the deal.

John, sounds like you have already made a wise decision about NOT using the HomeDirect club but just to emphasize the point, my neighbor and I both did kitchen remodels around the same time. She joined the buyers club and I did not. Both renovations were equal in size and scope (kitchens were taken down to the bones and counters, appliances, cabinets, floors and fixtures were all replaced). I shopped around, found the best deals locally and did a lot of the work myself but even not including the savings on labor I still overall paid less (about $2900 less) than she did AFTER she paid the membership fee. So overall I think she paid about $7000 more with being a member of the club. The quality of the stuff I bought was equal.

Are you going to be living in the house or are you flipping it? The reason I ask is that Formica or any laminate counters are so much less than granite that you could start with Formica and then upgrade down the road to save some money at the start if you are just going to live there. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with the deal.

Thanks for the advice..

I will be living in the house for at least a couple of years if not more.

I am told that Granite would cost me about $40.00 a foot installed.

I will wait to see where I am financially at the end of the month, when all this will go down at the closing.

Good luck with the deal.

Thanks for the advice..

I will be living in the house for at least a couple of years if not more.

I am told that Granite would cost me about $40.00 a foot installed.

I will wait to see where I am financially at the end of the month, when all this will go down at the closing.

John....do the granite and I'll pay for it.

With an equivelant amount of BJ's in exchange ?

Wow, well if you can get it for $40 a square foot installed and it's good quality that's a super price. Up here it goes for between $60-$120 per square foot installed and that doesn't include a backsplash or any fancy edging. My next door neighbor runs the CNC machine for a local granite dealer and even he can't get it at that price installed.

The $40.00 a foot price was quoted to me last weekend by a good friend who owns his own successful construction business. Andy is a General Contractor and did my inspection for me at no cost also.

He measured the kitchen out for me and listed everything I would need for cabinets, appliances and counter so that I could start pricing out what I wanted.

I am looking at $2000.00 just for the counter in granite installed or as he said maybe slightly under that but not over.

2 grand for counter tops seems alot but this is my first project of this kind so I know nothing. I am going to borrow $10,000.00 from my 401K to do the kitchen, so I will probably go ahead and do the granite.

John....do the granite and I'll pay for it.

With an equivelant amount of BJ's in exchange ?

Wow !... Consider it done there Big Boy !!

Drop your Drawers...BJ's 4ever, Begin

Oh Wait ...........

What would it cost me for Corian ??

:icon_dance:

FULL BLOW OUT ANAL SEX.....

?? Let me know....I'll stop payment on the check that is in the mail.

The $40.00 a foot price was quoted to me last weekend by a good friend who owns his own successful construction business. Andy is a General Contractor and did my inspection for me at no cost also.

Cool, it's good to know people. BTW you and DBLXX are twisted :icon_rolleyes: .

Cool, it's good to know people. BTW you and DBLXX are twisted :icon_rolleyes: .

:icon_evilgrin: Twisted as in a sexy kind of way ?

You must meet more people on this forum if you think we are twisted !!!

:icon_evilgrin::icon_evilgrin::icon_evilgrin::icon_evilgrin:

Although "twisted" is good ! :icon_dance:

For that price I would definitely go with the granite. When I had my kitchen remodeled 2 years ago I went with formica. I am kicking myself over that decision.

I will probably have it replaced this year with granite.

I just spoke with Andy, my General Contractor friend, this evening and he said there is a possibility that he can get it done in Granite for even less than the 40 dollars he quoted me originally.

Looks like I will be going with granite after all

Now to give the Bank a kick in the butt to get the deal closed before the end of the year.

Spent a couple hours at Home Depot this afternoon.

Have decided what I want, now to figure out how to pay for it all !!

cabinents will be Spice Maple with "Twist" style knobs and pulls in a tarnished nickel finish

Black / Gray / Micra colored Granite counter tops and back splash

Stainless and black appliances

Home Depot has granite priced at $55.00 a foot installed.

Looks like I will have to pay $40.00 a foot to get the high grade stuff I want.

I could have gotten it as low as $32.00 a foot installed if I chose the cheaper granite.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the party, but...

First, I agree with Dave (how often do you hear that?). Stay away from those retarded "clubs."

Don't buy anything from the big boxes or at retail. You don't have to. Retail is for people who aren't willing to spend a little time working for a good price. First off, look for places that sell to shops and contractors, not retail. For example, yesterday I went to a lumber yard that is a shop supplier to get pricing on some wood for a cabinet, and it was $10/board-foot. The same wood is nearly $20/bf at the local retail store and $15 at one of the "discount retail" lumber yards. Paintbrushes were $30 for 50, while they are a couple bucks at the retail stores. I needed a granite top for a bar I'm building, and found a local place with some leftovers dirt cheap, out the back door in cash. You just have to look around.

Good advice Carlos,

I did not persue Direct Buy at all. I smelled a skunk a mile away !

I use Home depot for helping me decide what I want as far as color and design are concerned buy will not be buying from them.

I have a good friend that is a Gen Contractor and has owned a construction company for over 20 years here in South Florida. He is setting me up with the people he uses and is giving everything to me at his cost. Home Depot has the Black Granite counter top I want for $65.00 a LF installed and I am getting the same stuff installed for $36.00 a LF. Plus I get to go to the yard and pick out the exact piece that I want for my counters. The patterns are different on each sheet.

Same thing with the cabinets. I will save about 40% over Home Depot for equal or better quality.

Cabinets are going to be a medium Maple with a darker Maple crown moulding along the top to offset the dark counter tops. Going to look nice and at the right price.

The appliances will all be stainless Whirlpool appliances : 25cf side by side Fridge, flat top stove with microwave above it and dishwasher and double sink

I will close by the end of this month. Probably right after I return from The UP of Michigan. Anxiosly waiting.

• 2 weeks later...