CBR1100XX.org Forum

Moding a carb tank to work with FI...

Maverick1100

In theory you could just add a external fuel pump & external fuel filter & it should work.

The carb'ed bikes had neither of these.

Also would have to make a custom fuel line capable of handling ~47psi to run to the fuel rail.

They don't interchange because the fittings are different, and the fuel pump resided in the tank on the injected models.

They use the same mounting points, so you could install the tank on the frame. Lets say you converted a fuelie bike to carbs. The carbed tank would go on the fuelie frame and hook up to your carbs without a problem. The same going the other way.

But converting a carbed tank to use the fuel injection pump of an injected tank......it could probably be done pretty easily if you had a spare week to waste, an old fuelie tank to cut the flange out of, and good welding skills. Oh, don't forget doing the grinding, resealing the tank, and repainting.

You can fit a volkswagon engine into the XX, I'm sure, but some things aren't worth undertaking. Look for a fuelie tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an FI tank in titianium with all the plumbing that's in great shape- 1 tiny ding/dent/scatch that I can let go(gas cap should be swappable so you won't need a different key). PM me an offer.