CBR1100XX.org Forum

Best Reasonable Fork Upgrade ?

runner

Well, the search engine merely added to the confusion.

What's the best general upgrade for the rough ride over bumps, expansion joints, etc. I ride basically every day (to work year round in all temp's 10-100 degrees) and the ride has got to get better.

This is my 2nd bird and I believe a better ride is about due. ('98 w/40 K miles).

Suggestions?

thanks

Well it depends on your definition of reasonable. Here's a couple of options:

1. Change to linear springs. The XX uses progressive springs. IMHO the first stage of the spring is too soft. If you change springs you'll also have to cut the spacer, no big deal. I cut the spacer so that I needed to compress the springs about an inch to screw on the fork cap. I also use 10wt fork oil. This option is approximately $80

2. Do option #1, plus change the rebound and compress valves and associated shim stacks to the racetech gold valves and shim stacks. ~ $350

First, if you haven't, it's time to change your fork oil. Just replacing the oil with new/fresh will make a difference.

Racetech makes a nice set of springs..I recommend going to their site and punching in your weight plus gear, and updating the springs. Even if you don't do the valves, you'll find that the XX is woefully undersprung for most riders. You may find going to with a lighter weight oil (5 wt) and heavier springs works better for you. That appears to be the lowest cost solution with the most bang for the buck.

HyperPro front springs--their 2.5WT oil provided plenty of rebound damping for me. I weigh in at 225 + maybe a little in gear. Made a big difference over stock for me. I also have the Wilbers shock set up in back---best of luck sorting it out---it's worth the effort----happy trails kel

I don't agree about linear springs. I have experimented with the ZZR1200 linear springs (considerably higher rate than XX's) with corrected spacer length, and still was bottoming when braking over bumps. Also the ride height was increased and the ride wasn't comfortable.

Don't go for the WP ones since their rate is about 5% higher than stock (and feels the same).

The best setup I've found is the Hyperpro springs with Torco 10W oil at the Hyperpro recommended oil level.

With lower viscosity oil, it is more comfortable over bumps but it dives faster over braking and it moves around.

Also note that the SAE w rating doesn't represents the whole truth about fork oils. The number you should look for is the viscosity number and the VI (viscosity index). Check Peter Verdone's site for detailed specs on most fork oils.

I rolled like this for ~35k miles...

Race-Tech 1.0Kg/mm springs - For my weight, stock springs are like .89

5W Honda oil - Stock is 7-weight, so I went a little lighter on the oil to get rid of the harshness

An extra ounce or 2 of the oil compared to what the manual said - does not bottom as easily

That was actually the best bang for the buck setup I've found. Progressive springs (like Hyperpro) are good over small bumps and road imperfections, but IMO, they use up too much of the travel having a weak spring rate at first, then when you hit a big bump, you REALLY feel it, because you get into the higher spring rate part of the spring.

This last spring, I went with the Ohlins out back, and the Gold Valves, and while the correct weight spring for my weight, and the lighter oil made the ride better and handled better than stock, it was no comparison to the Gold Valves (or somebody who REALLY knows what they're doing drilling and re-shimming your stock valves)

Mike

Stock is 7-weight.....

Stock fluid is Honda SS-8, which is equivalent to 10w.

I agree the best bang for your buck is new springs up front and lighter oil. I realize it seems counter-intuitive, but if you're heavier, stiffer springs will actually soften the ride a bit on harsher bumps. Set your sag out back while you're at it and pay attention to any changes made it ride height. You can compensate by shimming the rear shock mount or dropping the triple trees a bit on the forks.

Stock is 7-weight.....

Stock fluid is Honda SS-8, which is equivalent to 10w.

I agree the best bang for your buck is new springs up front and lighter oil. I realize it seems counter-intuitive, but if you're heavier, stiffer springs will actually soften the ride a bit on harsher bumps. Set your sag out back while you're at it and pay attention to any changes made it ride height. You can compensate by shimming the rear shock mount or dropping the triple trees a bit on the forks.

How much would you drop the triple tree? And what would be some signs that you dropped it too much?

How much would you drop the triple tree? And what would be some signs that you dropped it too much?

Mine were dropped 7mm. If you drop them too much you'll see that trademark XX stability going away. You'll also lose ground clearance. Better to adjust by shimming (raising) the rear, IMO, though that will have the same effect on stability if taken too far.

Mine were dropped 7mm. If you drop them too much you'll see that trademark XX stability going away. You'll also lose ground clearance. Better to adjust by shimming (raising) the rear, IMO, though that will have the same effect on stability if taken too far.

I did have the 6 mm shimm on the rear, went with the Wilber that should have the 6 mm increase built into it. I rode with someone last summer, I believe it was Chester, that had both the rear raised and the triple tree dropped.

thanks I'll just keep as it is

I don't agree about linear springs. I have experimented with the ZZR1200 linear springs (considerably higher rate than XX's) with corrected spacer length, and still was bottoming when braking over bumps. Also the ride height was increased and the ride wasn't comfortable.

Don't go for the WP ones since their rate is about 5% higher than stock (and feels the same).

The best setup I've found is the Hyperpro springs with Torco 10W oil at the Hyperpro recommended oil level.

With lower viscosity oil, it is more comfortable over bumps but it dives faster over braking and it moves around.

Also note that the SAE w rating doesn't represents the whole truth about fork oils. The number you should look for is the viscosity number and the VI (viscosity index). Check Peter Verdone's site for detailed specs on most fork oils.

Thanks for that site. Going to order Redline Blue and change it this winter.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I changed my fork oil (by pulling the forks) to the Redline 2.5wt and due to a freak 2 days of 65 degrees got to ride! :icon_biggrin:

Big improvement! the 7.5wt that came with my Hyperpro setup is too thick. Now the square edged bumps aren't harsh, and the overall ride is still fine.

Note this is on a 98, for 99 on they changed the fork valving for less compression damping.

I think this could be done even with the stock springs on a 97 or 98 and improve the harsh front end. Stock weight is 10wt.

Well I changed my fork oil (by pulling the forks) to the Redline 2.5wt and due to a freak 2 days of 65 degrees got to ride! :icon_biggrin:

Big improvement! the 7.5wt that came with my Hyperpro setup is too thick. Now the square edged bumps aren't harsh, and the overall ride is still fine.

Note this is on a 98, for 99 on they changed the fork valving for less compression damping.

I think this could be done even with the stock springs on a 97 or 98 and improve the harsh front end. Stock weight is 10wt.

I need to replace my oil,where did you get the 2.5 wt oil? thats what i started with,with my hyper pro kit.told fork to dealer second time for them to change compairing my work again theres and they put 5wt in i dont like the 5wt and want to get back to the 2.5wt.

I need to replace my oil,where did you get the 2.5 wt oil? thats what i started with,with my hyper pro kit.told fork to dealer second time for them to change compairing my work again theres and they put 5wt in i dont like the 5wt and want to get back to the 2.5wt.

I ordered the oil from here: http://www.redlineoil.com/

A bit pricey at $28 for 2 bottles delivered but worth it.

What's the best general upgrade for the rough ride over bumps, expansion joints, etc. I ride basically every day (to work year round in all temp's 10-100 degrees) and the ride has got to get better.

This is my 2nd bird and I believe a better ride is about due. ('98 w/40 K miles).

Suggestions?

thanks

I added two shots of 15w fork oil to each side in under 5 mins I was back on the road.

Also, decrease your tire pressure to 34f / 36r.

Works for me!

• 1 year later...

Suggestions?

thanks

I added two shots of 15w fork oil to each side in under 5 mins I was back on the road.

Also, decrease your tire pressure to 34f / 36r.

Works for me!

Be careful with dropping the tire pressures, IMO the XX is a heavy bike and is very sensitive to tires pressures and should be kept at 42psi

• 4 months later...

Finding this post, I want some quick advise.

I'm 100kg weight and I like to ride a bit sport.

My rear Showa has the preload at 95% and the hydraulic 1/2 turn back from the hardest.

I feel the bike quite good for the rear, but I want to compensate the front, something more stiff, or simply, something consistent with the back shock.

I know the xx is in some way faulty in suspension equipment, but in my country there's nothing for her, I have to import all I want and the duty fees are 100%, so imagine.... :icon_confused:

First of all I will change her the fork oil this week, las owner changed it 30.000km ago....... (I will put the 10w, as the manual shows). Some other recommendation ? Maybe increasing a bit the springs preload with some washers ?

Thankss!! :icon_biggrin:

Finding this post, I want some quick advise.

I'm 100kg weight and I like to ride a bit sport.

My rear Showa has the preload at 95% and the hydraulic 1/2 turn back from the hardest.

I feel the bike quite good for the rear, but I want to compensate the front, something more stiff, or simply, something consistent with the back shock.

I know the xx is in some way faulty in suspension equipment, but in my country there's nothing for her, I have to import all I want and the duty fees are 100%, so imagine.... :icon_confused:

First of all I will change her the fork oil this week, las owner changed it 30.000km ago....... (I will put the 10w, as the manual shows). Some other recommendation ? Maybe increasing a bit the springs preload with some washers ?

Thankss!! :icon_biggrin:

where are you?

just to solve the aparent, no gsxr busa, or zx14 or other bigbore current models I would guess for a major upgrade, so I would be thinking your only possible solution is racetech cartridges and springs for the front, and ebay the rear setup improvements. Some of the guys here sell their rear shocks and getting them there is the main problem to overcome.

Maybe looking in the horsepower gain area of the board and drop some weight in the rider would be the cheapest and fastest solution.... :icon_twisted: