CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird left me stranded!

jimmystartup

So the Bird left me stranded tonight. Here's what happened...

I rode from my office down to the ferry-boat without any problem. After the crossing I started the bike and let it warm up a bit as the ferry workers unloaded the cyclists. Then I rode off an not a half a mile later the bike started to sputter. At first it seemed like my clutch was failing because the power loss was kind of jerky. Then it just sputtered down and died.

I pulled in the clutch, coasted as far as I could, and came to rest right beside a fucking bridge barrier that left me about ten inches of space to push the bike. When I finally got clear of the bridge, I pushed way to the side and tried to figure out what happened. It was totally dark so I couldn't see much. When I tried starting it the bike would start (only with the choke on) but die after just a few second. If it did stay running for more than five seconds, any movement of the throttle immediately killed it.

Then I tried calling AAA and they told me they don't cover bikes unless you have a special rider. Nice, they could have mentioned something ten fucking years ago when I started paying them. I called a local tow company and they sent a flatbed with a bike dolly. I'm safe at home now, on my third Henry Weinhard's Hefeweizen.

My bike is a 1997 with 38,000 miles. This really seems like a fuel issue but I'm not sure where to start looking. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I've been commuting on this bike for the past few years without so much as a hiccup. The las time I got fuel was a week ago and nothing has happened recently that should affect my fuel supply (that I know of)

:icon_think:

Thanks,

Peter

Could be the petcock. Specifically check the vacuum line to the #2 vacuum port. Also ensure that the petcock diaphragm is okie dokie. If you suck on the petcock vacuum line fuel should flow out of the two fuel lines.

Could be the petcock. Specifically check the vacuum line to the #2 vacuum port. Also ensure that the petcock diaphragm is okie dokie. If you suck on the petcock vacuum line fuel should flow out of the two fuel lines.

Thanks. Any idea where I can see a diagram that shows me what the #2 vauum port is?

It will be a roughly 1/4" rubber hose running to the valve on the bottom of the tank from the manifold just below the #2 carb. Remove the line from the carb & suck. You shold not get a flow of air, it sould just open the diaphragm to let fuel flow. Or for that matter, check that the hose itself is ok, is secure, no holes etc.

Let us know what you find. It certainly sounds similar to what happened when I rode off after working on the bike & forgot to turn the petcock back on...

Thanks. Any idea where I can see a diagram that shows me what the #2 vauum port is?

If you have a shop manuel it will show you what you are looking for. I agree with MrbadExxample that would be the only thing stopping the fuel from reaching the carbs. You may have a crack in the vacuum line causing the diaphragm from staying open that is why it would only run for a few seconds. If the line was off it would not allow any fuel to the carb and the motor wouldn't even sputter. Good luck with your trouble shooting.

But the AMA has a service called MOWTOW. I've had it for years. The peace of mind is well worth the extra $25.

+1. I've also had it for years and have used it once, when the 'bird fried the stator.

The amount saved on that one tow paid for 10 years of the annual premium.

Then I tried calling AAA and they told me they don't cover bikes unless you have a special rider.

Did you tell them that you are a special rider? Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :icon_biggrin:

I knew I was going to hear that one, even my Father in Law said it.

First of all, thanks for all of the replies, you guys have helped point me in the right direction. Tonight I'll dig in after work. :icon_clap:

Someone who rides here regularly told me to try a can of Heet in case I just picked up some water. It is a problem around here this time of year. I think I'll do that first before taking the tank off.

The tow cost me $96 to my garage, I'll check out the AMA program and I guess I should call State Farm and see what they would charge to add it to my policy.

post-2671-1174168197.jpg

the one time my 97 died on the side of the road was because the vacuum line slipped off cutting off the fuel flow.

the tank removal on a carbed bike is easy. take the seat off, pull the inner panel tabs out of the tank, remove two 12mm bolts holding tank down, and you can lift it enuf to reach or look under to verify all hoses are good. i did it on the side of the interstate one time

Your right AAA usually wont touch a bike. But the AMA has a service called MOWTOW. I've had it for years. The peace of mind is well worth the extra $25.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/motow.asp

AAA will cover bike towing only if you buy the optional RV/Motorcycle. It's only $26 additional a year and I don't have to buy AMA to have bike towing.

UPDATE -

The Heet didn't do a damn thing so I unbolted the gas tank and, low an behold, the vacuum line had fallen off. Fuck, a flashlight and the tool kit would have saved me $96. Once I reconnected the tube it fired up and ran perfectly.

Hindsight is 20/20.

:icon_redface:

Dude, replace the hose!! If it fell off once it will do it again. its gitting old, mine did the same and a few month later the bike started running bad... that hose got a crack in it.......... just get a new one and save yourself some trouble.

Dude, replace the hose!! If it fell off once it will do it again. its gitting old, mine did the same and a few month later the bike started running bad... that hose got a crack in it.......... just get a new one and save yourself some trouble.

Yep, am going to do that.

Also note Honda uses a hard to find, at least for me, except special order from dealer or on line, 3.5mm vacuum line---I used a piece I had that must have been 4mm as that is common---worked for awhile and then the heat and vibration caused it to balloon on the connection---and of course trouble. Worth the effort to get the 'right' tubing in my opinion. Happy trails kel