CBR1100XX.org Forum

Repairing Vinyl Flooring

bar10dah

When I first bought my home, I had all the intentions of installing hardwood (maybe Pergo or such) floors but didn't want to pay the outrageous builder costs to have them install it when they built the house. So I opted for vinyl. Other three years later, I still haven't installed the floors. In fact, I'm getting ready to move. When I spoke to the relator, they said not to worry about any upgrades at this point because the way the market is around here, it won't raise the value of the home.

Looking around the house, there are a few areas that the vinyl is coming up at the seams. A few places down the hall and also at the junction of the floor and tubs.

How do I fix it? Do I need to pull it up and reapply glue? Or can I just squeeze some glue down there and press it back down again?

Lift the part thats coming up, clean it out the best you can, squeeze some glue in and put something heavy on it for a day or so. That might keep it down for awhile.

If you could add a bit of trim that might help too. Like a stick of 1/4 round in front of the tub.

Seems like I've seen glue specifically for seam repair. Have looked at a big box store or a flooring store?

I'll have to look the next time I'm out.

I have a tube of Kwik Seal Tub & Tile Adhesive Caulk that came with the house. This is what I use for the vinyl next to the tub?

That's what you'd use to seal the joint between the tub and floor after it's glued back down.

Ah, thanks. I'll remember that.

I went to Lowe's tonight and visited the vinyl section. I couldn't find any vinyl glue. Just "flooring" glue with a picture of hardwood panels on it. I'll look at Home Depot tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Contact cement. You want something with a quick set-up. Take a rolling pin to squeeze any air out and also to help with the adhesion. Use acetone to remove any excess that seeps out.

Contact cement. You want something with a quick set-up. Take a rolling pin to squeeze any air out and also to help with the adhesion. Use acetone to remove any excess that seeps out.

I used liquid nail. :icon_whistle: