CBR1100XX.org Forum

Got Spools?

jimmystartup

I've looked and looked and I just want someone to confirm. I can't put spools on my swingarm can I? I bought some roller feet for my stands but the bike slowly slides off. I know I can use the center stand but good bike stands always feel more stable. Anyone encountered a solution to this problem?

I've been using the Handy Industries stands for 2 years now, no problems. They are $100 delivered to your house and if you put the pad right behind the last weld on the swingarm under the axle, they do not move. Good luck on spools. You can probably buy some bolt on/rivet on spools made for some other kind of bike but you will have to drill/tap the swingarm.

MaXX

i'll second the approval for the handy stands. they are STUPID cheap and not too shabby. i thought the powdercoating was a bit delicate but they still functioned well. i've never used the rear on my bird, just the front when i have both wheels off, but the pair worked well for maintainance on my fat-ass TLR.

mark_9.jpg

mickcbr1100 Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rear spindle is hollow, if you get a length of 8mm steel threaded studding you can put in through the spindle and bolt up the spools to it either side. Wouldn't take a minute to put on then take off when you've finished.  

OK, that looks promising. I'll try it...

Hi MaXX, matey,

I am looking to get the handy industries stands since a while. I am in a similar situation as you matey. I would ideally like something that works for my XX and TL. Could you guys tell me which stands you have with reference to the following page?

http://www.handyindustries.com/standpackages.asp

Since my only option with the XX without any modifications may just be a stand with rubber pads (as specified on the page), I wonder if these would work on the TL as well.

Sorry to use your thread for a specific question Jim.

Thanks,

Navin.

The rear spindle is hollow, if you get a length of 8mm steel threaded studding you can put in through the spindle and bolt up the spools to it either side. Wouldn't take a minute to put on then take off when you've finished.

You mean the axle?? Sounds great for chain lube, but what about removing the wheel?

i'm not gonna drill my swinger for them.

Why not...if you need them? Or, maybe have some tabs welded on.

Comments not intended to be a wise ass.......just thinking of solutions.

Hey, what about the centerstand. I never looked at it real close. Could you just use a pair of hitch pins, in place of the bolts, to temporarily attach for servicing.

Steve

Fair point about removing the actual wheel but anything else including the chain tensioning can be done with the spools in the spindle/axle. I've only bothered to use it once when I was removing then replacing the centrestand as it was a lot easier than just using the sidestand.

The swingarm is box section alloy you couldn't drill and tap it for spools and be sure they would hold unless someone has ever taken an angle grinder to one and cut it up to find if there is a suitable point to tap a thread. A hole straight through the arm bolting the spool right up might work but again without knowing the thickness of the alloy at that point I wouldn't like to try it.

Hi MaXX, matey,

I am looking to get the handy industries stands since a while. I am in a similar situation as you matey. I would ideally like something that works for my XX and TL. Could you guys tell me which stands you have with reference to the following page?

Since my only option with the XX without any modifications may just be a stand with rubber pads (as specified on the page), I wonder if these would work on the TL as well.

Thanks,

Navin.

Navin,

It is the Universal set with Rubber Pads ($99). I don't know if they will work on the TLR, I would assume so though.

MaXX

Hi MaXX, matey,

Thanks,

Navin.

i have the universal front and the bobbin support rear. the rear one doesn't get used on the XX at all, i just use the centerstand. also, i don't think the centerstand is long enough to be able to use the front stand without removing the rear wheel first. if you wanted these stands, you could sure get them with a set of rubber pads and a set of bobbin supports, the extra ends are available here http://www.handyindustries.com/urws.asp

Hey, what about the centerstand. I never looked at it real close. Could you just use a pair of hitch pins, in place of the bolts, to temporarily attach for servicing.

Steve

i saw a guy at a track day, was racing an F2. when he got back to the paddock, his buddy slipped the oem centerstand underneath it instead of using a swingarm stand. didn't even slide in a hinge pin or anything. it can be done!